Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to my first ever mini van for a family of 3. I have been talking to dealers in DFW area but nobody is ready to negotiate prices other than paying full MSRP.

What I'm hearing from most dealers is production and supply shortage. Due to this low inventory and they want take anything less than the MSRP.

I have 2 questions.
1. Should I wait for the inventory and production to come back to normal ?
2. How do I get best deal in this situation ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought an EX (in central Virginia, May 31st - last day of the month to make sales goals, baby). I was able to negotiate about $900 off MSRP, which isn’t much, but considering the new car shortage, I’ll take it as a win.

For your specific situation, if you can wait until inventory gets back to normal, you’ll get a better deal for sure. Supply vs. Demand. Right now, sellers have the upper hand.

One avenue you may want to consider is negotiating over email/text. If you see one you want in your area, just contact the dealership’s internet sales department, and immediately as for their best and final OTD. Try to negotiate down in price OR get creative and ask for freebies. A years worth of free oil changes, free wheel locks, splash guards, etc.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,257 Posts
If you can wait, I would wait. Plus with family of 3 minivan is definitely not needed unless you have some special family situation requiring the space of the minivan.

Reactions: SpeedCar

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in Michigan. I tried working with 5 dealers via email with a target price of about $1500 off MSRP on an EX-L. Only one really seemed interested. Managed to get there with that dealer, even got a few extras thrown in, but it was not easy. I went into my search knowing that it's a sellers market, but I was looking forward to a lot of maintenance on my 2014 Ody and Carvana offered me a good deal to pick it up and write me a check. Right now, dealer inventories tell the story. Draw a bigger circle on the map and see what you find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought an EX-L in San Antonio. After talking to about 10 dealerships in San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, the best price I found was $40k out the door. All other dealers were $3k - $4k more.

Now, concerning the shortage - If you can wait a long time, you'll likely get a better deal. But I believe it will be a very long time. Maybe two years before dealers have inventory like they used to (hundreds of cars on the lot vs a handful). Like you mentioned, the problem is chip shortages (as well as steel, tires, and other goods). The reason why I believe it's going to take a while to "catch up" is this: A global supplier of computer chips has likely optimized their production lines and churn out these things near capacity day in and day out. It would be an unwise use of capital to invest in new machinery/facilities in order to "catch up" on current client demand, just so that demand can go back to being the same as it used to be. It seems to me that auto manufacturers will keep making cars as quickly as they can with the supplies they can get ahold of, but the shortages on dealers lots is going to take a while to rectify.

All of this is just my opinion based on logic and my experience in product development and manufacturing. I could be wrong and dealers might have a surplus in a few more months.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Find the dealer invoice of the car you want and compare that to the msrp. You want to go as close to invoice price as possible. Even at invoice, dealer makes a profit. You talk to the internet/fleet manager. But with this shortage, they are all taking advantage I suppose. Just wait it out.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Use Costco auto program to negotiate for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you have a trade in? I emailed every dealership within 200 miles to get out the door price. My local dealership was the lowest. I then went in person to a competitor just to see what they would do. we We’re about 1500 off. He called back middle of the next week with his best offer but at that point I wanted to check the closer dealership. They had given me the lowest out the door price and I now had a good idea of my trade in value. They came off about $2000 of msrp but we made the deal work because they gave me exactly what I financed on my trade in. It was $300 more than Car Max offer and $500 more than the other dealership. Who Knows if they would have gone lower but they asked Where I wanted to be and he said if I get there will you buy today? I said yes and we made the deal. msrp was 39935. I know they would not go more than $2300 off that at the time because he didn’t know I was going to put money down and basically said I can’t go any lower. May have been dealer talk but from all my research they were $880 cheaper than anyone else And gave me more for the trade in. I am in upstate South Carolina.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Do you have a trade in? I emailed every dealership within 200 miles to get out the door price. My local dealership was the lowest. I then went in person to a competitor just to see what they would do. we We’re about 1500 off. He called back middle of the next week with his best offer but at that point I wanted to check the closer dealership. They had given me the lowest out the door price and I now had a good idea of my trade in value. They came off about $2000 of msrp but we made the deal work because they gave me exactly what I financed on my trade in. It was $300 more than Car Max offer and $500 more than the other dealership. Who Knows if they would have gone lower but they asked Where I wanted to be and he said if I get there will you buy today? I said yes and we made the deal. msrp was 39935. I know they would not go more than $2300 off that at the time because he didn’t know I was going to put money down and basically said I can’t go any lower. May have been dealer talk but from all my research they were $880 cheaper than anyone else And gave me more for the trade in. I am in upstate South Carolina.
Definitely typical dealer talk. They can. And they will. But it sounds like you're happy with the deal and with what you got for your trade in, so that's all that matters! 😁

·
Registered
14 Posts
You are exactly right. In typical times I am sure they would have come down more. I just know the previous dealer let me walk when I threw out the number I needed to be at. They called back but were still 880 higher. Before trade in, I didn’t have a single dealer give me an out the door price lower than 38500 other than the one I purchased from. Several did 35,000 but that didn’t include add ones, destination etc...
Like you said, they can go lower for sure but many aren’t willing to right now. Had they not gotten my payments the exact same as the mid size suv we had, along with getting a better interest rate I would have waited myself. They did list my SUV for $3000 more than they paid me and it was sold within a few days. I told them I had another key for it, but they sold it anyway. No idea if they sold to a customer or moved it down the line.

But as you mentioned, it’s all about getting a fair deal In your eyes. The dealers definitely have the upper hand right now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm trying to my first ever mini van for a family of 3. I have been talking to dealers in DFW area but nobody is ready to negotiate prices other than paying full MSRP.

What I'm hearing from most dealers is production and supply shortage. Due to this low inventory and they want take anything less than the MSRP.

I have 2 questions.

Thanks!
You need to turn up the volume so Honda can hear it. They only listen to things that will cost them loss of profit. They are telling you that since supplies are low and demand is high they get to inflate the price for more profit.
So, what can you do? Be patient and decrease the demand. Then get everyone to be patient by making a Facebook group that advocates waiting four months to purchase their new car.
After Honda has a weak quarter of sales watch for the sales to show up on tv.
You can just say on your web page that to take the pressure off of Honda would be a good idea to help them recover from their shortages.
Some people can not wait or choose not to wait, but if you can, just an idea.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
You need to turn up the volume so Honda can hear it. They only listen to things that will cost them loss of profit. They are telling you that since supplies are low and demand is high they get to inflate the price for more profit.
So, what can you do? Be patient and decrease the demand. Then get everyone to be patient by making a Facebook group that advocates waiting four months to purchase their new car.
After Honda has a weak quarter of sales watch for the sales to show up on tv.
You can just say on your web page that to take the pressure off of Honda would be a good idea to help them recover from their shortages.
Some people can not wait or choose not to wait, but if you can, just an idea.
I don't believe this will make a difference in a grand scheme of things for a player the size of Honda, considering they're not the only ones going through this.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't believe this will make a difference in a grand scheme of things for a player the size of Honda, considering they're not the only ones going through this.
I know how you feel, and Honda really aggravates me with how arrogant they are dealing with common sense issues. What I have found in general that some businesses are sensitive to web responses. A few friends of mine had AT&T make some changes after a trend took off on Twitter. When the company knows it will cost them for sure sometime they make adjustments.
Look at it this way, If you get a large group of people to wait for the 2022’s to come out in September and then buy their 2021 Honda loses a lot of money. The problem is you can not get a large enough group that can or wants to wait so the impact is negligible.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have 2 questions.

Thanks!
So I’m not sure if I’m allowed to name names here but we just bought a 21 EX-L from a Honda dealership on the west side of Fort Worth. OTD with TTL we paid right at MSRP.

I will say that most dealers aren’t wanting to negotiate and it’s list + all their added fees and TTL. OTD they were all around 42-45. I lucked out and used another dealers advertised price to leverage a match. Oddly enough, the one with the lowest online price ( started with a V) had the most fluff- just a bait and switch kinda deal. Of course I kept my mouth shut and kept on with the dealer we purchased from.

i never stepped foot into the dealership till we were there to sign. 100% of negotiations were done via phone, email, and text. When a dealer started playing the “oh I’m sorry but you have to come in” or “let’s get you in for a test drive” I’d thank them for their time and end things there. Saved me lots of time and money just from driving all over. I wasn’t rude but I was quite firm in what I was and wasn’t willing to do.

Negotiate your purchase price first. Don’t even mention a trade till you’ve got that locked in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I’m not sure if I’m allowed to name names here but we just bought a 21 EX-L from a Honda dealership on the west side of Fort Worth. OTD with TTL we paid right at MSRP.

I will say that most dealers aren’t wanting to negotiate and it’s list + all their added fees and TTL. OTD they were all around 42-45. I lucked out and used another dealers advertised price to leverage a match. Oddly enough, the one with the lowest online price ( started with a V) had the most fluff- just a bait and switch kinda deal. Of course I kept my mouth shut and kept on with the dealer we purchased from.

i never stepped foot into the dealership till we were there to sign. 100% of negotiations were done via phone, email, and text. When a dealer started playing the “oh I’m sorry but you have to come in” or “let’s get you in for a test drive” I’d thank them for their time and end things there. Saved me lots of time and money just from driving all over. I wasn’t rude but I was quite firm in what I was and wasn’t willing to do.

Negotiate your purchase price first. Don’t even mention a trade till you’ve got that locked in.
Thanks for the info. If you're comfortable answering it, could you please tell me which dealership was it ? What was your final OTD price for EX-L ?

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have 2 questions.

Thanks!
Do you belong to Costco? That's how I bought our 2010 Odyssey. That being said, all cars, new & used, are up in price , partly due to the chip shortage issue.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Supply and demand makes this a bad time to buy. If you have a trade in, you could try to get more for it to offset the price of the new car. We are due for a new car, but we are putting it off because of the car shortage. My current '12 EX-L is going to need new tires and a timing belt before the end of the year, so I need to factor those costs into my decision.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Anyone paying over MSRP or MSRP is going to regret it.

Unless you have to have the van for summer road trips, do not pay these prices simply because of FOMO. I promise you this chip shortage is coming to an end soon, and dealers will be begging people to buy cars.

May 2021 retail sales numbers were -1.3%. The claim is that everyone is traveling to see grandma. The reality is that all of the stimulus checks are spent, people splurged on cars they can’t afford. Families of 4 made enough money from the stimulus for their down payment, but if you be patient, I think you’ll be rewarded.

Bill Page Honda has three 2022 Elite models listed for $43,823 for those of you looking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts