Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I have a brand new Odyssey and I cant stand to drive it. I've currently got an offer from Carmax to sell to them at a big loss but I'm trying everything in my power to fix this. I am having ear pressure, full, liquid feeling in ears and tightness in chest when I am driving. Actually, it starts right when the power comes on. I have paid an audio guy to disconnect the ANC. It did not make much of a difference. A little, but the effects were still there. We have gone in diagnostic mode and turned the ANC off but it will not stay off. I have aired the car out. For some reason it has gotten a cow smell to it?! I'm at a loss. I cant drive it because it makes me very off balance and sick. So frustrated because I love it and want it to work but feel like this is a freak thing that cant be fixed. Please help.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,196 Posts
Have you test driven any other Odysseys? Is it every one of them or just this one? If it's only this one - replace it under lemon law.

Edit: is there an exhaust leak somewhere?

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not driven another one, but that is a great idea to try. I'll do this tomorrow.

Also, my state (Oklahoma) does not have a lemon law. SO STUPID. And I don't believe there's an exhuast leak but I wouldn't even know where to look on that. I do know that I can sit in the car with it completely off, but once the battery turns on there's a slight buzz noise, my guess the ANC. That noise instantly throws me off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is a brand new car. Have you taken it to the dealer and let them know your issue? I would go there first, it’s still under warranty. Check the laws in your state. They may have a certain number of attempts to fix it before buying it back under lemon law if there is an issue that they can’t fix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a brand new car. Have you taken it to the dealer and let them know your issue? I would go there first, it’s still under warranty. Check the laws in your state. They may have a certain number of attempts to fix it before buying it back under lemon law if there is an issue that they can’t fix.
We contacted the dealer a week after buying it and they were no help at all. They told me "We've never heard of anything like this before!?", and treated me like I was making it up. I talked with the guys in service that told me they absolutely cannot do anything regarding the ANC, and they have no idea what could be causing an issue. We do not have a lemon law here, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,407 Posts
Does it make a difference if you have the windows open, A/C running, etc.?

Reactions: stanimal

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
We contacted the dealer a week after buying it and they were no help at all. They told me "We've never heard of anything like this before!?"
I am sorry that you are hearing is picking up a frequency or more than one that effects your hearing. A sound person would probably the frequencies that are High when the ODY is running and low when it is shut off. Have you thought about wearing some noise cancelling ear buds when you drive? If you buy some make sure their BOSE, they may be expensive but they work very well, as I have tinnitus and when I sit in church, the sound system is played to high and it starts my tinnitus to start ringing so loudly that I have to leave the sanctuary and listen to the service from a remote receiver.

The smell (especially cow smell) almost sounds like some has dumped something in to ODY. If you can stomach this with your ODY parked, open up all the doors and windows and tailgate as well. Hopefully where you do this is not at a farm and there is no other smells outside that bother you. You will need to get your face down towards the carpet and seats and sniff around to see if the smell is in the vehicle, if you do not smell anything, spray the carpet and seats with heavy duty Febreze spray and air vent products. If there is even a chance that you have any dogs or cats that have been in this ODY or if this ODY had any mileage on it from other people driving it use the Pet Odor eliminator. But replace your cabin air filter and insure that it is carbon activated to help absorb some of your smells in the ODY. Look at the filter you are taking out and see if it is stained or smells rotten. The last source you can have the dealer do (if they will) is put some air ionizers in your car in hopes it will eliminate the smell. Hope this may help you!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
You need to disconnect the ANC modules, like the speaker module or something. Something dealer will not do.

Honda HDS will not turn it off completely.

For the smell, let it air out in the hot sun and drive around with all the windows down. Factory smell should go away within a week. Apparently those factory gases are not good for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need to disconnect the ANC modules, like the speaker module or something. Something dealer will not do.

Honda HDS will not turn it off completely.

For the smell, let it air out in the hot sun and drive around with all the windows down. Factory smell should go away within a week. Apparently those factory gases are not good for you.
We've even paid an audio guy and he could not fully disconnect it. We have everything disconnected right now and it's still somehow coming through if the car is on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
allison728, I'm glad you posted about this. I thought I was the only one who experienced this. My symptoms when driving my Odyssey were exactly the same as yours. I was the only one in the car who felt the weird ear pressure and other sensations. After about 6 months of driving my Odyssey, I hardly ever notice the problem. I don't know if my body just got used to it and I stopped noticing, or if something about the car changed. It is now a non-issue for me, so hopefully the same happens for you.

Just out of curiosity, are you also someone who is very sensitive to vibration? I have an extreme sensitivity to vibration and I wonder if it is somehow related.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am sorry that you are hearing is picking up a frequency or more than one that effects your hearing. A sound person would probably the frequencies that are High when the ODY is running and low when it is shut off. Have you thought about wearing some noise cancelling ear buds when you drive? If you buy some make sure their BOSE, they may be expensive but they work very well, as I have tinnitus and when I sit in church, the sound system is played to high and it starts my tinnitus to start ringing so loudly that I have to leave the sanctuary and listen to the service from a remote receiver.

The smell (especially cow smell) almost sounds like some has dumped something in to ODY. If you can stomach this with your ODY parked, open up all the doors and windows and tailgate as well. Hopefully where you do this is not at a farm and there is no other smells outside that bother you. You will need to get your face down towards the carpet and seats and sniff around to see if the smell is in the vehicle, if you do not smell anything, spray the carpet and seats with heavy duty Febreze spray and air vent products. If there is even a chance that you have any dogs or cats that have been in this ODY or if this ODY had any mileage on it from other people driving it use the Pet Odor eliminator. But replace your cabin air filter and insure that it is carbon activated to help absorb some of your smells in the ODY. Look at the filter you are taking out and see if it is stained or smells rotten. The last source you can have the dealer do (if they will) is put some air ionizers in your car in hopes it will eliminate the smell. Hope this may help you!
Thank you for the tips! Unfortunately I'm usually driving around the kids and cant wear ear buds but I do actually think that would help. I also have tinnitus so I'm starting to wonder if this is playing a part in the frequencies the vehicle is putting out that ordinary people don't hear. Also, with the smell- the car is brand new. We are the only ones that have driven it and got it off the delivery truck. Leather seats and rubber mats. It smelled like that new car smell for a while but now it just stinks. No animals in it other than the kids, ha. I haven't even let them eat in it! AHHH!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
allison728, I'm glad you posted about this. I thought I was the only one who experienced this. My symptoms when driving my Odyssey were exactly the same as yours. I was the only one in the car who felt the weird ear pressure and other sensations. After about 6 months of driving my Odyssey, I hardly ever notice the problem. I don't know if my body just got used to it and I stopped noticing, or if something about the car changed. It is now a non-issue for me, so hopefully the same happens for you.

Just out of curiosity, are you also someone who is very sensitive to vibration? I have an extreme sensitivity to vibration and I wonder if it is somehow related.
I have to say, your reply is the one I was hoping to get because I feel so so alone on this. Hearing that you got over it and can drive it fine makes me want to push through, even though I am so miserable driving it. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, and yes!!! I am sensitive to vibrations!!! So sensitive that if a car with a subwoofer pulls up beside me it makes me want to pull my head off. That's interesting! I'm sure there's a connection there.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,826 Posts
This sounds like a very severe reaction to the internal sounds made by the car. Some people are sensitive to certain frequencies. I'm not a doctor but I believe certain sounds irritate the limbic part of the brain. The classic example is the fingernails on the blackboard sound. It makes most of us cringe! A similar perception may be at work with the odor you're detecting.

I completely believe your story but find it odd that these symptoms didn't appear during the test drives, especially with the severity of your reactions. You felt nothing? If the dealer and Carmax are not options, how about a private sale? You may still take a bit of a loss but it's better than owning a $45,000+ car you can't drive. Best of luck, Allison728.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This sounds like a very severe reaction to the internal sounds made by the car. Some people are sensitive to certain frequencies. I'm not a doctor but I believe certain sounds irritate the limbic part of the brain. The classic example is the fingernails on the blackboard sound. It makes most of us cringe! A similar perception may be at work with the odor you're detecting.

I completely believe your story but find it odd that these symptoms didn't appear during the test drives, especially with the severity of your reactions. You felt nothing? If the dealer and Carmax are not options, how about a private sale? You may still take a bit of a loss but it's better than owning a $45,000+ car you can't drive. Best of luck, Allison728.
Welp, that's the kicker. I did feel it during the test drive. I just told myself that it was a fluke and wouldn't last. I've been kicking myself on that very thing. I just kept convincing myself that this is the car we need for our family. If I could turn back time......

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,826 Posts
Don't beat yourself up for that blunder, allison728. Even with your sensitivities, you probably hoped the car wouldn't have a permanent effect on you. I'd explore the other options of resale. No sense in suffering those symptoms, especially after you've done your best to eliminate them.

·
Registered
9,320 Posts
For some reason it has gotten a cow smell to it?!
Sorry about the problems with your dream car.

Does the smell come out of the air vents? It's possible a small critter got into the HVAC ductwork and perished in there.

Reactions: serega12

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,196 Posts
Sorry about the problems with your dream car.

Does the smell come out of the air vents? It's possible a small critter got into the HVAC ductwork and perished in there.
I would suggest they look at the cabin air filter as well.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts