Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry about the problems with your dream car.

Does the smell come out of the air vents? It's possible a small critter got into the HVAC ductwork and perished in there.
The air vents actually make it better. It seems to come from the seats and mats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn’t know this model year had ANC - is it all trims?

if you can’t get this resolved check Carvana and Vroom for a quote it will be higher than Carnac

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Thank you for the tips! Unfortunately I'm usually driving around the kids and cant wear ear buds but I do actually think that would help. I also have tinnitus so I'm starting to wonder if this is playing a part in the frequencies the vehicle is putting out that ordinary people don't hear. Also, with the smell- the car is brand new. We are the only ones that have driven it and got it off the delivery truck. Leather seats and rubber mats. It smelled like that new car smell for a while but now it just stinks. No animals in it other than the kids, ha. I haven't even let them eat in it! AHHH!!
The Bose earbuds has a 3 setting switch, one of them is to cancel ambient sounds and you can still hear them talk yell or scream, but it does reduce their coughing and sneezing sounds about 50%.

Did you have them add the rubber mats after you received the ODY? First the good smell, and sometime later a bad smell, something has been added after you received the ODY to cause this horrible smell.

My dad had a 57 Chevy Nomad Station Wagon, and as a family we went to our local zoo, after the day walking and everybody being exhausted 7 noisy kids piled in, or at least started to. It was horrible smelling. Long story short, there was some monkey's that got out of their cages, they wound up being in our station wagon. They dropped little brown droppings all over the car inside and then decided to smear it, they was having a party and we was not. Dad went and talked with the zoo management, they gave us a ride home and kept the car until the following day to clean it all out. It still had some smell to it, then we left the windows open (which we always did back in 1958.) Eventually the smell was gone, but never forgotten. :)

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
We've even paid an audio guy and he could not fully disconnect it. We have everything disconnected right now and it's still somehow coming through if the car is on.
Like they physically disconnected the modules?

You should try disabling VCM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Like they physically disconnected the modules?

You should try disabling VCM.
Physically disconnected everything. We were going to attempt to cut wires but figured there wasn't a point if everything was unplugged already. I'll google the VCM...any tips on how to disconnect it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The Bose earbuds has a 3 setting switch, one of them is to cancel ambient sounds and you can still hear them talk yell or scream, but it does reduce their coughing and sneezing sounds about 50%.

Did you have them add the rubber mats after you received the ODY? First the good smell, and sometime later a bad smell, something has been added after you received the ODY to cause this horrible smell.

My dad had a 57 Chevy Nomad Station Wagon, and as a family we went to our local zoo, after the day walking and everybody being exhausted 7 noisy kids piled in, or at least started to. It was horrible smelling. Long story short, there was some monkey's that got out of their cages, they wound up being in our station wagon. They dropped little brown droppings all over the car inside and then decided to smear it, they was having a party and we was not. Dad went and talked with the zoo management, they gave us a ride home and kept the car until the following day to clean it all out. It still had some smell to it, then we left the windows open (which we always did back in 1958.) Eventually the smell was gone, but never forgotten. :)
OMG. I cannot even fathom having monkeys in your car and then the mess!!!! That's something you'd never forget. Rubber mats were included. As far as I can tell nothing was added. I drove it earlier and rode with the windows down and it didn't smell so bad. We are in stormy season and its super humid so I'm not even sure having the windows down helps.

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
Rubber mats were included.
Remove them for your next trip and see if the smell changes.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
-Sherlock Holmes

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,408 Posts
I didn’t know this model year had ANC - is it all trims?
All Hondas with VCM have ANC. And in the Odyssey's case, all Odysseys since 2011 have VCM.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Physically disconnected everything. We were going to attempt to cut wires but figured there wasn't a point if everything was unplugged already. I'll google the VCM...any tips on how to disconnect it?
Don't cut any OEM wires.

I would have another shop look at it. ANC should be disabled as soon as you unplugged the modules.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,827 Posts
Allsion728, here's a long shot. Have you checked the cargo area behind the third row seat for water leaks? One member drove their Ody for months, not realizing they had a slow water leak in that area. One day they discovered a few inches of water in there due to the terrible build quality at the Alabama plant, and the carpet had molded. Check that area for water or even dampness. I mention this because you wrote about "being in the middle of a stormy season and high humidity."

Even without a leak, check that area on a regular basis. It was discovered that the caring workers at the Alabama plant had missed filling a hole with sealant.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Wildguess: Do you have a roof rack? I found the front crossbar on my first Villager made sound. I drove two of them a total of 600,000 miles so I got to know them quite well.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is a very nice VCM muzzler person in canada (I bought my muzzler from him). Contact him and see if his solution will work on your 2022. Easy plug in thing it was about $100...

·
Registered
53 Posts
The user name on this club is Verbatim (nice person), who knows ask him if he also has a ANC turn off module too!

·
Registered
77 Posts
As the title states, I have a brand new Odyssey and I cant stand to drive it. I've currently got an offer from Carmax to sell to them at a big loss but I'm trying everything in my power to fix this. I am having ear pressure, full, liquid feeling in ears and tightness in chest when I am driving. Actually, it starts right when the power comes on. I have paid an audio guy to disconnect the ANC. It did not make much of a difference. A little, but the effects were still there. We have gone in diagnostic mode and turned the ANC off but it will not stay off. I have aired the car out. For some reason it has gotten a cow smell to it?! I'm at a loss. I cant drive it because it makes me very off balance and sick. So frustrated because I love it and want it to work but feel like this is a freak thing that cant be fixed. Please help.
I hear you.I have the same issue with my 07' odyssey and when I asked them to check it out, the guy asked if I played music instrument. Not as extreme like what you described but like wearing NCA headphones. Now the problem is the wind noise that many times I thought the window was down. I dont know when it went away. Just give it a few months.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As the title states, I have a brand new Odyssey and I cant stand to drive it. I've currently got an offer from Carmax to sell to them at a big loss but I'm trying everything in my power to fix this. I am having ear pressure, full, liquid feeling in ears and tightness in chest when I am driving. Actually, it starts right when the power comes on. I have paid an audio guy to disconnect the ANC. It did not make much of a difference. A little, but the effects were still there. We have gone in diagnostic mode and turned the ANC off but it will not stay off. I have aired the car out. For some reason it has gotten a cow smell to it?! I'm at a loss. I cant drive it because it makes me very off balance and sick. So frustrated because I love it and want it to work but feel like this is a freak thing that cant be fixed. Please help.
Consult an attorney about Revoking Acceptance. See if this is possible even if the Lemon Law doesn't apply.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would try contacting Honda corporate and explain to them what the car is doing to you. If that doesn't work, I would contact a lawyer.

·
Registered
2021 Odyssey EX Platinum White Pearl/Beige
5 Posts
The used car market is booming right now. I wouldn’t sell a vehicle to Carmax if you paid me. Try online sales sites like vroom.com and carvana if the issues cannot be resolved and you have to sell. Or, trade it in on a different vehicle?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry to hear OP. Semi-related but I can't drive my 2018 with any of the rear windows down and going more than 30 MPH. I feel this immense pressure in my ear. Very uncomfortable. So the windows are only cracked or open more if only going slower but doesn't happen too often. My kids complain with not having the windows open more but deal with it. Doesn't seem to affect my wife. I am ok with rear windows open in my 2018 Civic though.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts