Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like all the official info is out on the 2022 Odyssey, and we're not even in the second half of January 2021.
Isn't this odd timing being released so early? With pretty much no appreciable changes?

I may be completely off base, but my wild guess is that it may signal the end of the 5th Gen Odyssey.
My reasoning being Honda needs to catch up to Toyota and Chrysler. Both have hybrid minivan versions available, both besting the Odyssey in fuel efficiency and features.
Also on deck is the new 2022 Kia Sedona/Carnival (which looks pretty darn good IMHO).

I'd be interested to hear opinions from you all if you think this may be the case.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
759 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised, as we have seen generations for shorter lengths of time. This would mean the 5th gen lasted 5 model years. 1st gen lasted 4, 2nd and 3rd gen both lasted 6.

I'd also imagine they're trying to make up for lost revenue because of COVID.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My guess would be a long 2022MY (early 2021 to late 2022) then a short 2023MY run based on the current gen before introducing the next gen as a 2024 model sometime in early/mid 2023 (similar to what they did with the 2017 and 2018 models). Chrysler and Toyota have hybrid options + AWD, Honda has a vacuum. They need to figure out how to compete.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've owned multiple Odysseys over the years, and am thinking about a new van.
However, I can see the 5th Gen becoming dated with all the new competition this year.
That's a big reason I wondered the question in the first post. Seems those making minivans (other than Honda) took a step forward this year.

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
100 Posts
Think the redesign is due for 2024 model. Would love to see hybrid option.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Haha I'm actually using my Vacuum
I use it all the time since my kids eat in the van especially during this lockdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
960 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised, as we have seen generations for shorter lengths of time. This would mean the 5th gen lasted 5 model years. 1st gen lasted 4, 2nd and 3rd gen both lasted 6.

I'd also imagine they're trying to make up for lost revenue because of COVID.
I wonder if they're making this generation shorter to "compensate" for the fact that they extended the 4th generation an additional year.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Think the redesign is due for 2024 model. Would love to see hybrid option.
I would also like to see a hybrid option, specifically a Plugin Hybrid Option (PHEV) like the Clarity.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey EX-L, 2015 Mercedes GLA250, 1979 Mercedes 6.9
12 Posts
Chrysler and Toyota have hybrid options + AWD, Honda has a vacuum.
The new high-end model Pacificas have a vacuum built in now too.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Two months in and we are already driving an old model year without the benefit of end of year deals.

Not upset, but I’m hoping it doesn’t change until 2024 though.

Reactions: Blue Crab

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
759 Posts
I wonder if they're making this generation shorter to "compensate" for the fact that they extended the 4th generation an additional year.
Yeah, I definitely thought about that.

Reactions: fuego

·
Registered
462 Posts
The new high-end model Pacificas have a vacuum built in now too.
The vacuum hose in those feel like they are made with plastic no thicker than a cheep garbage bag. Flimsy and feeble. It’s the same feeling I got with the rest of the van which is the major reason we decided not to go with the Pacifica.

Like everything else in that van, it seemed like it was designed better with more thought around usability, but they lacked in quality. They could really build a very competitive van if only they could step up their quality. The same went with their infotainment system. It was more user friendly, unfortunately it lacked some key features (back in 2018) that we required.

I guess this is getting off topic. I’ll stop here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts