Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2022 Odyssey with under 1500 miles. Recently while driving on the interstate, we ran into transmission problems. The gears started slipping and car was driving in neutral on the highway and was not accelerating. All warning lights for safety sensors came on. Honda ended up replacing the entire transmission. Has anyone else experienced a similar transmission problem in a 2022?

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
See this thread.

OF

P.S. Your forum name ... reference to the Special Air Service?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See this thread.

OF

P.S. Your forum name ... reference to the Special Air Service?
Thank you. I had tried to search but did not see that one. That's the 5th different person I've found who has had this issue, but Honda so far has said we are the only instance. Very frustrating.

Reference to SAS only in regards to the book regarding SAS training. Read it in my teenage years and have always enjoyed it.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
74 Posts
Thank you. I had tried to search but did not see that one. That's the 5th different person I've found who has had this issue, but Honda so far has said we are the only instance. Very frustrating.

Reference to SAS only in regards to the book regarding SAS training. Read it in my teenage years and have always enjoyed it.
Unfortunately, with mass production on anything - let alone vehicles, there's always a chance that something can go wrong. You strive for zero defects but in reality, nothing human is perfect.

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
When there's a major factory defect like this, it usually shows up early. This is in no way an indication of the future reliability of your new van.

Reactions: tyman

·
Registered
880 Posts
Honda's have a history of "weak/poor/junk" transmissions. And worse, Honda Corp. just denies, and does not "fix".
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Look at this thread
Sorry to hear this happened to you as well. It was not fun to deal with. That thread was part of the reason I came here. I've found about 6 other people now who have all experienced it. While I understand normal defects do occur, and it just stinks to be the unlucky draw of the random number, I wanted to know whether this was a normal defect or something multiple others have experienced. I'm starting to feel it's the latter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honda?
AHMC.... or the one particular service writer at your local dealer?
AHMC but through the dealer, since I've been trying to get someone on the phone at AHMC through the dealer and no luck yet. I've had two different dealers tell me that AHMC told them they had not seen this before (my selling dealer did not do the warranty replacement as I did not purchase from the closest dealer).

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
Honda so far has said we are the only instance.
They always say that in order to convey that their cars never break. Ignore this useless diatribe, and carry on with your new tranny.

BTW, their second-most popular blurb is that they cannot reproduce a customer's problem (so the car is returned unrepaired).

Lucky in your case they spewed the first piece of trifle, which is usually followed by a resolution at least.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just had this happen to us at 308 miles! It’s not comforting as we have 5 dogs in the car. Has any one has any luck with dealers fixing this? I am having this car towed and leaving a print out of this forum discussion on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
We just had this happen to us at 308 miles! It’s not comforting as we have 5 dogs in the car. Has any one has any luck with dealers fixing this? I am having this car towed and leaving a print out of this forum discussion on the passenger seat.
Dealers can only install the replacement transmissions that Honda supplies... nothing better, nothing worse.

Back 15-20 years ago when trannies were dropping like flies, I understand Honda didn't authorize any internal repairs. Replace only. Have no idea what policy is now.

·
Registered
273 Posts
5 dogs in the car, stressful i hope your Honda dealer will make good for you

I hear when they were having trannies dropping left and right they were getting local 3rd party shops to rebuild them, some shoddily.(perhaps why some people had 3-5 transmissions within the first 100k)

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
Dealers can only install the replacement transmissions that Honda supplies... nothing better, nothing worse.
Hopefully, they are replacing these short-lived transmissions with brand new ones.

Would be good too if they are returning the failed units to the factory where the engineers could do autopsies on them to identify the source of the failure.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
It took Honda far too long to sort out the problems with the trannies for year bracketing 2000. My '02 tranny had the oil jet installed after the fact, and still died in Aug '05 at 48k miles. And they still don't acknowledge any problem with the 5 speed that they started installing in '02.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,597 Posts
While a lot of people will argue that they didn't really solve it until 2007, I'd argue they solved it with the 2004.5.

Reactions: 0dyfamily
1 - 20 of 53 Posts