Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
While a lot of people will argue that they didn't really solve it until 2007, I'd argue they solved it with the 2004.5.
And started with the 98 Accord. Far too long to figure it out for a mere extension of stable, established technology.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
While a lot of people will argue that they didn't really solve it until 2007, I'd argue they solved it with the 2004.5.
100% true. Even Honda techs refer to these 2004.5's as the "good transmissions."

OF

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,597 Posts
100% true. Even Honda techs refer to these 2004.5's as the "good transmissions."

OF
Well I suppose anything would be good compared to the 2004.5s predecessors.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a 2022 Odyssey with under 1500 miles. Recently while driving on the interstate, we ran into transmission problems. The gears started slipping and car was driving in neutral on the highway and was not accelerating. All warning lights for safety sensors came on. Honda ended up replacing the entire transmission. Has anyone else experienced a similar transmission problem in a 2022?
Yes! My 2022 Elite is in the shop for the exact same issue. They are replacing the transmission as we speak. I am trying to decide to walk away from the darn thing or give it a chance. The van only had 2k miles on it and we were 4 hours from home when it happened. Needless to say, the whole situation has been a nightmare. I am hoping that it takes long enough for the lemon law to kick in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a 2022 Odyssey with under 1500 miles. Recently while driving on the interstate, we ran into transmission problems. The gears started slipping and car was driving in neutral on the highway and was not accelerating. All warning lights for safety sensors came on. Honda ended up replacing the entire transmission. Has anyone else experienced a similar transmission problem in a 2022?
We just had this happen to us at 308 miles! It’s not comforting as we have 5 dogs in the car. Has any one has any luck with dealers fixing this? I am having this car towed and leaving a print out of this forum discussion on the passenger seat.
My 2022 us in the shop now for this issue, no fix other than to replace the transmission. Our transmission went out going 70 mph 4 hours from home. It has been an ongoing nightmare to say the least, but at least they are replacing the transmission vs. trying to program a fix. I am in the process of deciding whether I keep the thing or get a replacement.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
My 2022 us in the shop now for this issue, no fix other than to replace the transmission.....
Man, oh man. :oops: Four hours from home, holy moly.

OF

·
Registered
2022 EX, Pacific Pewter
47 Posts
Hmm 1 or 2 that can happen, 5 or 6 this is weird, maybe it's time to look at build dates to see a pattern or trend?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'm sure they mine their repair data for patterns/trends. But won't share with public.

·
Registered
2022 EX, Pacific Pewter
47 Posts
I'm sure they mine their repair data for patterns/trends. But won't share with public.
Sorry, I meant we the people on this thread...if you have a failure, look at placard on the door and see a build month. Looks like these are 2022's, mine was built 5/21. So far all good 2200 miles, 1600 was a road trip in 2 days. 12 hour constant run on day 1, then a 8 hour constant run on day 2.

Maybe that's the secret, drive it hard :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My 2022 us in the shop now for this issue, no fix other than to replace the transmission. Our transmission went out going 70 mph 4 hours from home. It has been an ongoing nightmare to say the least, but at least they are replacing the transmission vs. trying to program a fix. I am in the process of deciding whether I keep the thing or get a replacement.
We were 4 hours from home with three kids and furry friends in the car. Was not fun. While transmission was replaced, do not feel particularly good about the build of the car with the number of incidents we have found.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened 3 days after owning the van at 185 km. Complete transmission failure on the highway. Said it was a one in a million problem. Got a brand new 3 weeks ago. And on the beginning of the road trip it happened again! On a brand new odyssey not our old one fixed. I don’t know what to think or do now.

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
204 Posts
Same thing happened 3 days after owning the van at 185 km. Complete transmission failure on the highway. Said it was a one in a million problem. Got a brand new 3 weeks ago. And on the beginning of the road trip it happened again! On a brand new odyssey not our old one fixed. I don’t know what to think or do now.
please record here. Transmission Survey + 9/10 speed detailed info (One...

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
That's it. I was thinking "newer" to replace my still-operating 2002 EX.

Maybe not, or no "younger" than a 2005-2010 Gen 3 Odyssey. Problem here is that it's difficult to find a decent-miles example, as many owners are racking up a quarter-million miles (or morel) on those vans.

This shouldn't happen. Honda has had two decades to figure out their power transmission woes.

OF

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
That's it. I was thinking "newer" to replace my still-operating 2002 EX.

Maybe not, or no "younger" than a 2005-2010 Gen 3 Odyssey. Problem here is that it's difficult to find a decent-miles example, as many owners are racking up a quarter-million miles (or morel) on those vans.

This shouldn't happen. Honda has had two decades to figure out their power transmission woes.

OF
Yeah, they've had two decades, but have taken an approach of starting from scratch a number of times, so instead of working out the flaws they keep inventing new ones. Not sure how to judge the attempt at outsourcing, except I think they brought it back in-house after a relatively brief try.

OF, what's the history of your tranny? My '02's original had the 2nd gear oiler installed in the fill plug, but then died in Aug '05 with about 48k miles. It was replaced with an apparently upgraded version of the same tranny (fill plug unencumbered), which I've put close to 100k on. Regular fluid changes, only repair was the 4th gear sensor last month. It took me $35 and 15 minutes to fix.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Yes, if the transmission did not need a 2nd gear oil jet, then it most likely received all of the internal updates.

My 2002 EX and 2003 EX both started with a diet of ATF-Z1 from the factory. Probably five years into owning the 2002 EX, and a year into owning my 2003 EX (we bought it used), I switched to Valvoline MaxLife ATF after a worrying clutch slip episode while towing with my 2003 EX, and the Valvoline product fixed that.

After a few more years, Valvoline MaxLife just became difficult to find in my area due to sheer popularity, so I purchased quite a few gallons of AmSOil Signature Series ATF online and have used that since then.

Both vans had the 2nd gear oil jet recall. I think the 2002 EX, which I still own, is over 210,000 miles. Still on original running gear, and I do an ATF change every other annual oil change. Same with the 2003 EX, which is now in the hands of a new owner and still trucking along.

I used both vans interchangeably to tow a heavy glass-hulled bass boat (had a 200hp Merc V6 on the back), on a heavy steel galvanized trailer during hot summer months (just sold the boat). Also towed a Casita 13 travel trailer once in a while.

Both vans received Tru-Cool 4739 coolers and Mocal thermostats set to start opening at 50°C (about 122°F) with full opening at 60°C (about 140°F).

I've changed the OEM ATF filter (spin on-on) twice on both vans, and IIRC, the Magnefine probably three times at least (maybe four...).

I also use Lubegard Red ATF Protectant at a ratio of 1 ounce per quart of ATF. I also use ATP AT-205 resealer at a dose of 1/2 ounce per quart of ATF as a preventative measure against seal leakage.

That's pretty much it.

OF

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2022 Odyssey transmission failed after 400 miles while driving 70 mph. They replaced my new transmission and I requested Honda America to buy back minivan or replace and they refused. My local Honda dealer said my Odyssey was 3rd one in 3 months they saw. Honda America tells me my incident was an isolated issue. I found 2 other people on Facebook with same transmission failure as well as 7 others on carproblemzoo.com. Did anyone else have offers to replace their Odyssey besides Nikcrv? Maybe Honda Canada reps are nicer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Below is a another link to 6 others with 2022 Odyssey transmission failures on reddit. There are 8 incidents on this forum, 2 I found on Facebook, and 7 on carproblemzoo.com. That brings 23 cases that I am aware of online, not including 2 others at my local dealership and 2 other at the sister store where that I purchased my minivan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HondaOdyssey/comments/nt4thb

21 - 40 of 53 Posts