Honda Odyssey Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
73 Posts
Interdasting that it's happening to 2022's. I wonder if maybe a bad batch got released due to QC issues or maybe wrong fluid or something.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,078 Posts
Maybe Honda Canada reps are nicer.
Don't bank on it. They're just a crooked as their American counterparts. They all went to the same "let's feed the customer a load of BS" motivational seminar. After four years, we're still hearing the same old BS from Honda Corp Canada about the knocking engines in the 2018s and later, "We're aware of the problem and are working on it."

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,078 Posts
Interdasting that it's happening to 2022's. I wonder if maybe a bad batch got released due to QC issues or maybe wrong fluid or something.
That's entirely possible, Tyman. The real issue is how Honda handles the problem. In general, we're all used to failures on new "things." If the company steps up to the plate in a promt fashion and completely resolves the issue, then we're good. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know :D.

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
204 Posts
Guys please record your issues here instead of posing everywhere.

this is the only way to keep track of the total numbers.

Reactions: seanpw

·
Registered
46 Posts
Given the circumstances of the reported failures, my guess is a bad batch of transmissions. Probably all produced in one period of time. Due either to some bad component in one batch from a supplier, or a failure to fill with the proper type or amount of ATF.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
When Honda began production of 5-speed automatic transmissions for the Acura 3.2 TL and the Odyssey in the 2002 model year, these BYBA A/T's had three possible defects during assembly:

• During the casting process, not all fluid ports can be cast continuously, some requiring drilling and then plugging. The port plug for the third clutch could be installed so as cause an ATF flow restriction. Note I did not use the words "installed incorrectly" as the plug did not have a timing mark for the assembly staff to follow.
  • Honda used two suppliers for the third clutch thrust bearing (NTN and Trinton). Both are reputable suppliers, but one of the manufacturers had a mis-timed groove (radial placement incorrect). Again, the worker assembling the transmission would not know which one could cause a flow restriction.
  • Some supplied washers for the above thrust bearing also had a mis-timed groove.
All of the above, combined, could yield up to a greater than 30% restriction in the designed flow of ATF to cool and lubricate that clutch. That led to a number of failures.

It wasn't so much a "bad batch" as a chain of possible assembly defects. Just one, or maybe two of the three possible mistakes? That 5-speed transmission may have well led a long service life. All three, combined by shear bad luck? Failure.

We might be seeing something like that with the current 2022 transmission, but from a still unknown chain of assembly defects, even with assembly personnel correctly following the directions given to them.

OF

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2022 Odyssey transmission failed after 400 miles while driving 70 mph. They replaced my new transmission and I requested Honda America to buy back minivan or replace and they refused. My local Honda dealer said my Odyssey was 3rd one in 3 months they saw. Honda America tells me my incident was an isolated issue. I found 2 other people on Facebook with same transmission failure as well as 7 others on carproblemzoo.com. Did anyone else have offers to replace their Odyssey besides Nikcrv? Maybe Honda Canada reps are nicer.
What was your date of manufacture if I may ask? This is disconcerting. I just took delivery on 2022 EX-L and my date of manufacture was Jul 2021.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
looks like a manufacturer Defect
I think this is fair. The sad part is there is little Honda is doing about it. They have replaced some (but not all) and are not taking responsibility. I can't even get them to reimburse for additional expenses incurred due to breaking down more than 250 miles from my house. Honda roadside assistance was completely useless as well (they told me that it would be easier for me to use Google or ask local people for help in finding transportation from where the car needed to be towed).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
By the way, I would encourage anyone who has experienced this problem to report it to the NHTSA here: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

It seems that Honda is not taking this problem or its customers seriously, and it poses a significant risk to drivers and passengers. To date, 10 of these similar complaints have been submitted.

·
Registered
9,777 Posts
Should we report to Transport Canada if we are in Canada?
Yup.

I think they work closer with their US counterpart than with the manufacturers. Regardless, that's the place for Canadian vehicle owners to report problems.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts