Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Looking at the Black Edition vs Touring trim in Canada, specifically in Sonic Gray Pearl. My dealer is offering me the Black Edition for $700 more which is a good deal relative to MSRP. Honda's website doesn't seem to actually list every single difference between the vehicles and there are no interior shots that show it, only interior shots of the American Sport trim which is different. I'm going to try to list all the differences here and if anyone has seen one in person, please chime in:

Exterior:
-The grille, headlight trim, fog light surrounds, door mirrors, B-pillar, C-pillar and taillight trim all feature a gloss-black finish
-The rear spoiler and 19-inch wheels are also black
-Taillights are darkened
-Body colour door handles instead of chrome
-No change in tint?

Interior:
-Black leather with red perforations and red stitching (just black in Touring)
-"Black Edition Piping" on seats, colour not stated, if guessing, red (a classy white on the Touring)
-Black Edition emblems on seats
-Red stitched steering wheel
-Black Edition floor mats? (what are these? Are they rubber all weather or just carpet mats with stitching? the former has value)
-Black roof pillars and headliner (premium touch IMO, but might it be too dark in the back of the van with no pano roof?)
-Red accent lighting on the dash, in the driver and passenger footwells, and in the front door handles and door pockets (instead of blue in the Touring)

Bolded are the items that are unclear to me since no photos of this trim exist yet that I can find. If anyone has any insights, please share.

The Canadian website has what I think are two errors, 1st that the Black Edition has acoustic glass for side and rear doors and Touring does not (stated in the trims section but both have it in the specs section), and second (in specs section) that only the Black Edition has 3500lb towing capacity and all other trims have 3000 (not reflected in the manual).

I'm having trouble deciding between the trims. I prefer the Black Edition exterior but haven't historically been a huge fan of red in interiors and this is not a sports car lol. I think the white piping is classy on the black leather. Otherwise I feel I should choose the Black Edition as the black headliner is really nice. What do you think and what would you do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Honda website is bad but I have a family member that works at Honda that was to provide some additional details before I ordered mine. Yet to receive it....
  • Black Edition has just cosmetic changes.
  • The tint percentage is the same in all trims.
  • Floor mats are the carpet ones but just say Black Edition on them.
  • Piping on seats is black.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My advise as Odyssey owner, stay away from Honda, Honda quality not like it used to be (maybe get an EV if that can work for you)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have an EV (Honda Clarity) and love it. May eventually get a Cadillac Lyriq as I am on the list. Need a minivan for family, I will be getting this van. Honda still easily better than Chrysler or Kia, and the Sienna has horrible parts quality and assembly at the moment despite the good powertrain. Also you can’t get them in Canada anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Honda website is bad but I have a family member that works at Honda that was to provide some additional details before I ordered mine. Yet to receive it....
  • Black Edition has just cosmetic changes.
  • The tint percentage is the same in all trims.
  • Floor mats are the carpet ones but just say Black Edition on them.
  • Piping on seats is black.
Thanks! I still can’t decide whether I will like the interior more with the red and black or whether it will feel a bit too dark. I just came out of a Q7 with a black headliner and I like it but that had a pano roof and brown leather, I’m a little concerned it will be a cavern in the back for the kids…

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Black Edition looks like it is just an appearance package on the EX-L.
You don't appear to get Cabin Watch, Cooled seats, Wireless charging, 550 W Stereo, Auto dimming mirrors, power fold mirrors, rain sensing wipers, etc.

It would appear that in Canada the Black Edition is the US Sport trim and the Touring is the US Elite. You get a lot more with the Touring over the Black Edition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Black Edition looks like it is just an appearance package on the EX-L.
You don't appear to get Cabin Watch, Cooled seats, Wireless charging, 550 W Stereo, Auto dimming mirrors, power fold mirrors, rain sensing wipers, etc.

It would appear that in Canada the Black Edition is the US Sport trim and the Touring is the US Elite. You get a lot more with the Touring over the Black Edition.
Hi, thanks, however actually the Black Edition in Canada is like the Touring (US Elite) but with appearance package. It has every available feature and costs the most of any trim.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You are all crazy up there, LOL.
I hate to say it, but it's 100% true.
I live in NJ and we bought a 2019 Honda Odyssey EX/L with Navigation and DVD/BluRay.

I was so close to pulling the trigger on an Elite in 2019, and thank GOD I came to my senses.
My wife agreed to settle for the EX/L with Navigation and DVD/BluRay package. It was an >$8,000 differential between that package we bought and the Elite. And for what? Built-in cellular data? I have a brand spankin' new Netgear 5G Mobile MiFi router that is 35x faster than the crappy cellular modem Honda builds into the Elite.
Practically speaking, do you need a built-in vacuum? Considering they've since discontinued it and the company which Honda tapped to make them actually went out of business years ago so Honda can't even service it anymore makes me laugh. What else do you really need in Elite? Do you actually need to have a video feed of the 3rd row while you're driving? Do you really need to have a full-fledged 2-way intercom system to communicate with your screaming kids in the third row??!! My package allows for 1-way, meaning I can talk to them even if they're wearing headphones watching a movie. Why would I pay to hear my whining kids talk back to me? What else am I missing? Oh yeh, LED fog lights? Her build has daytime LEDs. Good enough for me.

All in all, we ABSOLUTELY LOVE our minivan. We drive it up north to visit my in-laws and my wife's cousins in Toronto, Canada all the time from New Jersey. I personally enjoy night driving and my kids sleep through the drive anyways with a movie playing in case they wake up.

And to think that now they've suckered innocent Canadians (my wife is from Toronto so I can say that) into paying ANOTHER $800 on top of the already astronomical Elite MSRP is so crazy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts