Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Husband is kinda bugging me about trading it out but I plan on keeping it til it leaves me on the side of the road. How many miles can you get on one of these? We replaced the transmission at 180K and so far all good. Is there any reason to get rid of a van that seems to be still going strong just because of the mileage?

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,951 Posts
Nope. Keeping an older car maintained and running well will usually be cheaper than buying a newer car. As long as you feel comfortable driving it and there's nothing wrong with it, why get rid of it?

The only thing is, keep in mind that any money you put into it, you'll never get back if you sell/junk the van. So I might be reluctant to spend the money if there is a major maintenance milestone approaching or the car needs a relatively expensive repair.

The biggest item on these vans is the transmission, which you should have awhile to go on if yours only has 80K on it. These engines can go 300K+ with minimal issues, one of the most reliable engines in existence.

·
Registered
14,792 Posts
I do hope you have been keeping up with trans fluid changes on the replaced transmission. I let my 2002 go at 256k after the A/C died. Adding that to the front end work necessary and I was easily at the down payment of a newer van. I could have fixed everything and just kept driving it, but it was a lot of good money after bad. The work it needed was easily 3-4 times it's value. That said, a poor(er) person is now driving that van. My daughter is still driving the 2003 we also owned from new. It has to be over 300k by now.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,529 Posts
Agree. Run it into the ground, which in most cases with 2nd gen Odys, means until the transmission decides to die, or it becomes no longer worth the necessary work.

Reactions: CRJ

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
If you are comfortable waiting at the side of the roads you drive until the tow truck and Uber/hubby/friend show up, drive it 'til it drops.

If you are routinely on the Cross Bronx Expressway, reliability is at a premium.

If you are in the rust belt, the decision may soon be made for you, You didn't give year. Often, age means more than miles for us Northerners.

·
Registered
2004 EX-RES
1,082 Posts
We have 330K miles on ours. It has been the lowest cost per mile vehicle I have ever owned and we still take it on long trips and tow our pop up with it. I would like to get another 3 years out of her before I replace her with a 4runner so I will at least get to 400K miles.

·
Registered
2001 Odyssey 225k
13 Posts
+1 for keeping it. Mine has 233k miles and going pretty strong. Bought at 174k and has been a wonderful workhorse at very low cost per mile. Transmission is quirky going into 2nd gear, but I'm babying that and will get a rebuild when I can stand to take the van out of service for a while.

Reactions: JimHightBV

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,951 Posts
We have 330K miles on ours. It has been the lowest cost per mile vehicle I have ever owned and we still take it on long trips and tow our pop up with it. I would like to get another 3 years out of her before I replace her with a 4runner so I will at least get to 400K miles.
Curious what major repairs you've had to make? Radiator, hoses, alternator, starter?

·
Registered
2004 EX-RES
1,082 Posts
We have done the following major repairs (I do the work myself):
1) Radiator at 324,991
2) Rebuilt transmission at 315,774
3) Rebuilt ignition switch at 309,004
4) R. Sliding door motor cable broke (replaced cable) @ 304,867
5) Catalytic converter @ 288,771
6) AC Compressor @ 283,718 (plastic bag wrapped around the shaft)
7) Alternator @ 238,000
8) A/C Clutch @ 173,512

I have done some minor repairs such as replacing the rear vent window motors, the coolant crossover pipe, and high pressure AC house. I have also done lots of maintenance over the years.

Besides the coolant crossover pipe leaking the only other leaks have been the high pressure AC hose and the VTEC solenoid gasket.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My '00 will turn over 198k miles today, which is nothing compared to most of you. It was my in-laws until they gave it to us this year. I was going through all of their old service receipts this morning. They put 140k on it in 7 years and the last 50k was over the past 13 years. I've been bringing the maintenance up to date over the past few months and the van has come back to life after years of sitting and neglect. Keep doing your maintenance. I think EGADS had a good benchmark for giving up when you've hit a point that a couple/few thousand have to be spent to keep it going.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Husband is kinda bugging me about trading it out but I plan on keeping it til it leaves me on the side of the road. How many miles can you get on one of these? We replaced the transmission at 180K and so far all good. Is there any reason to get rid of a van that seems to be still going strong just because of the mileage?
I am at 342 and going strong. Believe I will need to get the rear wheel bearings done soon, that’s about it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
340k miles, bought it in 2011 with 198k miles. Trans was rebuilt a few months before I bought it, found the receipt in the sun visor when checking it out. Replaced timing belt, pulleys, timing belt tensioner, water pump, checked valve clearance, replaced valve cover gaskets, bolt grommets and misc o rings to take care of oil leaks, New Year’s Day, pre covid.
Oldest son has been driving it since April and it’s still alive so pretty stout vehicle.
Rebuilt starter, alternator, replaced brake booster, rear window light bulb mod, radiator, radiator hoses and thermostat.
Brakes, tuneups and regular fluid changes was all I did. Great vehicle, wife has moved on to a ‘16 CRV last year.
Added Hayden trans cooler and Magnefine filter in 2013 after reading about all the trans failures.

·
Registered
116 Posts
260,925 miles. Last night after 360 miles of driving in 2 days, the engine light came on. We could smell something "burnt." Today the trans slipped so much, the van wouldn't move. I discovered it would still go in reverse, and then 1st, so I limped the 1/2 mile to home. Is it a goner? I hope not.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,529 Posts
Definitely sounds like something happened with the transmission. It has been heard of for 2nd gear to overheat, maybe it's that.

·
Registered
2010 EX-L 240,000 2010 Touring 110,000
249 Posts
Our '10 EX-L has 225,000 miles. Bought used 4 1/2 years ago with 112,000 miles. No problems except about a year ago had CEL with misfire on cyl 3 and using a lot of oil. Was unaware of the problems with VCM. Dealer said it needed rings replaced. Did my homework finding out about VCM issues on this great forum. Instead, I installed Muzzler, replaced all plugs, and now all is good. Doesn't use oil anymore and runs great. We like this van so much, I shopped until I found another 2010. Bought a Touring model 6 months ago with 85,000 miles and installed a Muzzler on it first thing. Now we have two!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bought our 2000 new 20 years ago. 400,000 Km's or 250,000 miles on her.
Just replaced the battery for the second time. $100- new, 2010,2020
Top of the rad cracked last year, new rad $112
1st set Alternator brushes $14 @ 200,000 miles
Replaced the transmission 2 times, average run time is 80,000 miles, 1st free on warranty and then $1500
Couple sets of rollers in the sliding doors, currently made up brass rollers, work excellent.
Only changed the timing belt once, never did the water pump, still no leaks anywhere
Changed the power steering pump oil, "hint":use the correct oil.
No rust on the body work yet
Clear coat is starting to peel onto top of the fenders.
Driving home last night in it doing 60mph on a newly paved highway section, told the wife that it felt like we were driving in a brand new 2020 van.
We just bought our daughters 2003 fully loaded jeep for $500 as a back up vehicle.
That's all the car dealership was going to give her on a trade in for a SUV.
All in all, this is the cheapest vehicle that I have ever owned and it's going to be really tough to let it go.
2003 Jeep Liberty is already nickel and dimming us to death and we have only had it for a few months. "What the heck", it's a newer vehicle.
The good news is we're going to have fun 4X4ing in it for the next few years. Nicknamed it the beer can.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts