1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've had my 2010 odyssey ex for a while, and here's the usual conditions

70% local
30% highway at 70-80mph, windows always up
usually only 1-2 people (about 300lbs) in the car with additional 100lbs cargo in the trunk
original 16" wheels and tires at 32psi
climate control is always on automatic ranging from 70*-80*
oil change every 5000 miles with honda synthetic blend 5w20
car currently has 40k miles on it
i haven't done an transmission flush yet but i will sometime in the next month

when the gas light comes on, i fill up a usual rough 16.5 gallon, and i can only get 260-280 mile to the previous tank, never thought it was a concern but just wanted to see if anybody else was getting the same results, i always go from a mix of arco, chevron, shell, 76, doesn't matter what gas i use, it's the same, i always fill up wit 87 octane

·
Registered
404 Posts
My first reaction is, get your foot off the gas, you're driving it like you stole it... In town, I get a steady 22-23mpg, and about 27-28 on the highway (no cruise). My tires at sidewall max, AC always on Auto at 72° (back hardly ever on), usually two of us + a couple or two (the only reason we drive the Ody is with passengers), 22K miles, oil changes at 7500 miles with whatever our Honda dealer put in there. And I can't imagine why you'd need a trans flush...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't know how fast you accelerate from stand still when you drive the 70% local., but it could be a factor.

My commute is 100% local roads w/ actual average speed of 35 to 40 mph.
I averaged 18 mpg with no passenger, AC on 100%.
I only rev the engine between 2000 and 2500 rpm from standstill.

On highway, Ody would give 26 mpg even with 7 passengers and AC on 100%.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hmm ........ I have to be first off the line at the Red Light (yeah, I heard you) .... mostly drive on hwy, (80%), local roads aren't that busy. In one yr got my ody upto 54K. Its a touring. I drive a little above the speeds mentioned in the first post. I regularly get 300 - 325 mpg on 16 gallon fill ups. I usually have the van loaded but also keep the tire pressure about 4 psi above the door post markings. AC always ON plus all sorts of electrical gadgets up at the same time. I don't shut it down on coffee stops either! I have no clue about in town gas mileage because I don't drive it much in town. Regular service and do whatever the dealer advises ... even the tranny flush!

Lets hear it :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Owned two 2005s. 18 to 19 mpg around town was tops. 26-28 on highway. Recently got a 2011 still in break in period. Doing 17-18 mpg with snow tires on snow covered roads. Hoping for better.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I too experience 19.1 MPG (measured over a year 22.5K miles). Drive like you as well.

These vans have the aerodynamics of a brick. Drop your speed to 60-65mph. Watch your mileage go up. I got my first 400 mile tank doing this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
20+ mpg city is pure BS. NOBODY will get that in an Odyssey. But mid to high teens is very possible. Your tires a a bit low on PSI, air them up to mid to upper 30s. And watch how you drive. My wife gets 2-3 mpg less than me always - Ive seen a pettern with this gender. So easy on gas and anticipate stops or slowdowns. Otherwise mid to low teens is your in town mpg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts