Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a thread about this for third gens, but not much for second gens. To give you an example of what I mean, you can swap 280z brakes to a datsun 510, and swap 1g eclipse gsx breaks to the mirage as "OEM" upgrades. With all the parts Honda/Acura makes that are interchangable (especially for their smaller cars ie: civics/integras) I find it hard to believe that there is nothing that will swap with the 2g Ody. Pilot? Rdgeline? MDX? Anything???
Has anyone tried ANYTHING successfully, or just a lot of talk and speculation. I know you can have custom brake kits made but that is too expensive, and I think K Sport makes a kit for the japanese Ody (different than US), still expensive but would it even fit? Also sometimes brake setups can be swapped from different manufactures. I have seen corvette brakes on imports before. There are people 'upgrading' to ody calipers/rotors on integras in the Honda-Tech forums! So what gives?

Even if some minor modification is needed, are there ANY options?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm curious about this but haven't dug much into it yet either. I'd love to find an OEM upgrade like you mention, since I have this on my other car (my 99 Audi A4 has an OEM upgrade using A8 Powerstop rotors and TT caliper carriers). I know the MDX 18" wheel upgrade works on the Odyssey but I don't know about upgrading the brakes from that car. Hoping someone has looked into this...

·
Registered
447 Posts
You have a problem with the brakes?? Mine stop fine and I got a year 2000 with rear drums, but it does have anti-lock.
Maybe you just need your brakes fixed with new HONDA parts, fliud flushed, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a thread about this for third gens, but not much for second gens. To give you an example of what I mean, you can swap 280z brakes to a datsun 510, and swap 1g eclipse gsx breaks to the mirage as "OEM" upgrades. With all the parts Honda/Acura makes that are interchangable (especially for their smaller cars ie: civics/integras) I find it hard to believe that there is nothing that will swap with the 2g Ody. Pilot? Rdgeline? MDX? Anything???
Has anyone tried ANYTHING successfully, or just a lot of talk and speculation. I know you can have custom brake kits made but that is too expensive, and I think K Sport makes a kit for the japanese Ody (different than US), still expensive but would it even fit? Also sometimes brake setups can be swapped from different manufactures. I have seen corvette brakes on imports before. There are people 'upgrading' to ody calipers/rotors on integras in the Honda-Tech forums! So what gives?

Even if some minor modification is needed, are there ANY options?
I sure it is possible, the reason the civic and tegs are upgrading to the Odyssey brakes are because the rotors are a lot bigger in our cars and it would be cheaper to upgrade with oem parts then to buy aftermarket big brake kits. I know from my experience the front rotors from the pilot are the same part as the odyssey, the only other option for the odyssey is to swap out the rear drums for the pilot rear rotor and caliper. I have yet to attempt this but I'm sure it is possible because the pilot use the odyssey platform.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You have a problem with the brakes?? Mine stop fine and I got a year 2000 with rear drums, but it does have anti-lock.
Maybe you just need your brakes fixed with new HONDA parts, fliud flushed, etc.
...I should explain myself a little. I am addicted to 'modding' vehicles. I drive an Ody because I have to. I have five kids. I do all of my own work and I'm pretty good at it. I am huge on preventative maint. and use nothing but top quality parts and sythetic fluids. I researched long and hard before buying my Ody. The reasons I got it, very high handling ratings (IRS helps with that), and great trusted honda engine (J series) with many swap/upgrade options.

I have owned more cars in my life only being 29 than many people will own their entire lives. I love to drive them and I love to build them... no matter what I am driving. My last car was a 1995 BMW 318i rebuilt/supercharged with custom trunk stereo installation and 2.5" exhaust

My van currently stops fine, but that doesn't mean I can't make it stop better. It's the same reason people upgrade/mod anything weather it be supercharging a new vette or lifting a truck and putting up on 35" mudders... I just happen to need to drive a minivan at this time in my life and i want to make it better where I can. I already have a custom intake with K&N filter and a few audio and interior mods including push button start, all LED cabin lighting, and a 10" sub tucked between the front seats. I am also going to be tinting the front windows and installing a better flowing exhaust. And if the engine ever goes I'll be buying a J37 from the new TL, and next time the tranny fails I'll be going manual with the accord 6spd. Why? --why not, because I can.

So pretty much, I just want to see if the break upgrade is possible or not, and if anyone has done it. I am not the only one like me and i am sure others would like this information as well. As I stated there is a thread about this same thing for third gen Odys and it is packed with replys and some ok information, and I would like to get the same thing started for our (2g) Odys.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just had a dream,,,, a 6-speed with twin turbos on that 3.5v6!
Haha, if only it would get thru Calif smog checks.
Live on mod-man!

Back to brakes, maybe check with the S2000 forum. I bet you can get some cross-drilled rotors that might fit.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
To the op.
The Ody shares brakes with the Pilot and MDX early years. The two piston caliper from a 2004-06 MDX should bolt on. Bigger rotors and pads as well.
Do it and post back, I also think the brakes are too small for a 4500lb van.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To the op.
The Ody shares brakes with the Pilot and MDX early years. The two piston caliper from a 2004-06 MDX should bolt on. Bigger rotors and pads as well.
That's pretty much the story of the Odyssey's life; engine too small, transmission too weak....brakes too puny.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd like to see somebody try to fit the 05-09 Acura RL dual piston calipers onto an Odyssey.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I'd like to see somebody try to fit the 05-09 Acura RL dual piston calipers onto an Odyssey.

They won't fit the spindle of the Ody, completely different design. The 07-08 TL Type S Brembos might though. They look very similar to the Ody spindle mounting area.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To the op.
This is more what I want in this thread... possibilities and options. Thank you and keep it comming! The 2g Ody does not weigh 4500lbs if you got the gross weight off of the door sill, that is the FULLY LOADED weight of the van with full passenger and cargo load. I weighed my van on a truck scale and it came in at 3400 lbs! They really aren't that heavy.

...so so far, 2004-06 MDX dual pot. may be possible?

Those RL brakes look great... if they would fit.

If by the spindle, you mean the stearing knuckle, I would be willing to swap the entire knuckle assembly (knuckle, caliper, disk). If it will work. It would just have to bolt to the strut, attach to the lower ball joint on the control arm, the steering tie rod, and have the same number of teeth for the axle spline. Also not mess up the steering/suspension geometry too much. A little bit is not bad and can be easily corrected with minor modification.

Again Thanks to all for the info and keep it coming!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
The 2g Ody does not weigh 4500lbs if you got the gross weight off of the door sill, that is the FULLY LOADED weight of the van with full passenger and cargo load. I weighed my van on a truck scale and it came in at 3400 lbs! They really aren't that heavy.

The sales brochure states dry weight without passengers is 4000lbs.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Those RL brakes look great... if they would fit.

If by the spindle, you mean the stearing knuckle, I would be willing to swap the entire knuckle assembly (knuckle, caliper, disk). If it will work. It would just have to bolt to the strut, attach to the lower ball joint on the control arm, the steering tie rod, and have the same number of teeth for the axle spline. Also not mess up the steering/suspension geometry too much.

You need to see the RL suspension, would be nearly impossible to adapt. The TL is way more promising. I think the bolt holes for the TL Brembo caliper is the same as Ody. RL is completely different altogether.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
so a maybe on the 2004-06 MDX dual pot.
and maybe on the 2007-08 Acura TL brembos

...trying to keep a list of possible swaps going. Then maybe I will try a few out to see what works. Again Please keep any ideas coming!

mjody - I will weigh my van again to be sure and post the weight. I'm pretty sure it was 3400lbs, but it was a year ago and I could be remembering wrong.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
mjody - I will weigh my van again to be sure and post the weight. I'm pretty sure it was 3400lbs, but it was a year ago and I could be remembering wrong.
My first gen weighs close to 3400lb, no way a second gen does. I just looked through the brochure again, EX model curb weight is 1945kg which is 4270 lbs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
They won't fit the spindle of the Ody, completely different design. The 07-08 TL Type S Brembos might though. They look very similar to the Ody spindle mounting area.

Store: Yoshifab.com - RX7 Brake adapter bracket kit

Whenever there is a will, there's a way. These are the adapters I'm using to put Mazda RX-7 aluminum calipers onto my Volvo 240 turbo.

Guys on the Turbobricks message board also fit the V70R & S60R Brembo calipers & rotors onto their old 240s.

It would just take some R&D and a some engineering skills.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I doubt anyone makes a conversion kit like that. It would be nice though. I am hoping to find something that will bolt up without much work. If I had more time, and enough buyers to make it worth it I would design some brackets like that myself! ..I am pretty good with CAD and can have just about anything machined but it is very expen$ive unless you get a large quantity.

...again, would rather find something that would bolt up as is if possible.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For now I got this for front brakes, just bought it two days ago:
Power Stop Brake Kit - 116 Reviews on Powerstop Rotors & Brake Pad Kit

Powerstop x-drilled/slotted rotors and pads on sale for $154. with free shipping! ...and three year warranty.

I am still interested in doing a future 'upgrade' so if anyone learns anyhting new about what is possible, be sure to come back here and post!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts