Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2nd key for 2020 pdyssey

201 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Dan1983
Hi all, new here 2020 Odyssey EX. I can't find a clear answer online... I've tried searching forums etc... Just bought the car and have one working key fob for push button start.

Is there a way to have a spare key made without going through a dealer?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
710 Posts
Hi all, new here 2020 Odyssey EX. I can't find a clear answer online... I've tried searching forums etc... Just bought the car and have one working key fob for push button start.

Is there a way to have a spare key made without going through a dealer?
Unfortunately, you have to go through a dealer or at least a locksmith with a high level scan tool to program new key fobs for your car. You cannot program it on your own. It's equivalent to programming an immobilizer key to your car. So you'll have to buy the fob and also pay to have it programmed. A dealer will charge you an arm and a leg of course, but even if you buy the fob online yourself, you'll likely still have to pay a locksmith if you don't go to a dealer, and by the time you add it up, you might as well have gone to the dealer. So there's no way around it really.

One suggestion is that if you are planning to add a second fob, you may want to get another and have 3 total. Programming charge will be the same to program 2 or 3, so the 3rd fob will just be cost of the fob... no extra programming charge. Hope this makes sense.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, you have to go through a dealer or at least a locksmith with a high level scan tool to program new key fobs for your car. You cannot program it on your own. It's equivalent to programming an immobilizer key to your car. So you'll have to buy the fob and also pay to have it programmed. A dealer will charge you an arm and a leg of course, but even if you buy the fob online yourself, you'll likely still have to pay a locksmith if you don't go to a dealer, and by the time you add it up, you might as well have gone to the dealer. So there's no way around it really.

One suggestion is that if you are planning to add a second fob, you may want to get another and have 3 total. Programming charge will be the same to program 2 or 3, so the 3rd fob will just be cost of the fob... no extra programming charge. Hope this makes sense.
Got it, thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts