Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after installing my I-VES in a '99 LX we find it difficult to hear the movie while sitting in the 2nd row, unless we blast the van audio volume which blasts the driver. my 2 yr old in the 2nd row seat will not leave the head set on, thus we use the van audio system. anyone have any ideas on how to add speakers to the 2nd row seat area so I can jump in on the back speakers which will allow me to fade the audio to the back so the driver is not blasted by the front speakers. I was thinking sliding door speakers but not sure if it can be done and what size. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
There has been talk of adding speakers to the sliding doors, but this is not an easy task. Either you have to tap into existing door wiring (not sure what wiring is there, esp. since you have an LX) or have to run your own connections through spring-contact connectors or through a carefully managed cable routing scheme... Then mounting the speakers would require metal cutting etc... though you may be OK with that.

A couple of other suggestions/ideas:
1) speakers under the front seats, firing up and back to the second row passengers. Or even in the front seat backs if you are brave....
2) there is a drape over speaker system that is like a blanket you drape over the back of the seat. Forgot the maker/model of this...
3) Miata-style headrest or seat speakers (requires significant mod work)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have 6 X 9 's in the rear hatch

I had 6 X9's installed in the rear hatch with a power AMP and then you can run three sets of speakers with the IVES !

The fronts off the front AMP, the rears off the deck amp and the new 6 X 9 's off the rear AMP ! I have the IVES and it works great for sound, although it will cost about $300 with speakers and AMP installed, but well worth it !:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for all of your help. I was wanting to build a new center console b/w the front seats to hold VCR tapes, CD's and other wife's stuff. Maybe I can work some speakers into it and connect them to the head phone jacks of the I-VES system up front.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
2nd row speaker addition/MOD

HANCYW,

In response to your question. Unless you want to cut into the interior of your ODY maybe try something similar to this.

Any electronic retailer in your area sells a pair of small (battery operated or dc powered) audio speakers wired to use for portable cdplayers or laptops etc... You could do a MOD to power them through the vans power plug (front or rear location) and tap into the audio coming from your IVES somehow. You could gluegun the speakers to wide elastic fabric (maybe even colored to your interior at most fabric stores?) then just slip over headrest. Your child might sit lower but the sound would be directed from the sides of the head area. I've seen some small speaker sets featuring a single knob on one speaker to adjust the proper sound level. It's just an idea, but maybe would help you minimize cutting up or paying alot of labor out the nose.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Carseat speaker kit!

HancyW,

I had to post this follow-up right away.

Shinjohn was right about a blanket-device to drape over a seat or childseat actually!

The link below will take you to "Quietrider" website which I found in a search on "google". It sells $29.95 and plugs into walkmans,cd-players etc... Not sure about colors available, but looks like it's right up your street! Hope this helped you out.

http://quietrider.com/

Amazing what is invented today!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
(sigh) Now if only I the driver could control the volume of the signal that comes from the headphone jacks in back.....

Looks like a good gadget, though.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
adam1991 said:
(sigh) Now if only I the driver could control the volume of the signal that comes from the headphone jacks in back.....

Looks like a good gadget, though.
Depending on how badly you want to control the volume up front, i know there are inline volume controls you can buy at electornic store, you may want to check RadioShack, but your best bet is an electornic store. Look in you Yellow pages and call few of them and ask for inline head phone volume control. The downside is, you have to run the wires to front and back.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Re: Re: Carseat speaker kit!

vickymash said:

Has anyone used this system? how does it work? can you hook it up to the IVES?
Thanks!
In regards to the quietrider system, it should easily hook up to the IVES through the headphone jacks on the console. Plugging in the quietrider is as easy as plugging in (wired) headphones....

I'm basing this on the headphone jacks I see in this closeup pic, I don't have an IVES...

http://www.handaaccessories.com/odyssey/ives.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi there!!!

I was just reading this catalog from JC Whitney and saw this item "OVERHEAD SPEAKER SYSTEM". It's a 6 speaker system (2 4"woofer, 2 2 1/2" mid range and 2 1" tweeters) and retails for $84.95 it can be attached on the roof of your vehicle. To have more info check it out at www.jcwsporttruck.com and enter item number 38RW0018Y in their search engine.

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts