Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, my 05 ody had check engine light came on. I took it to the dealership, and 3 hours later, they told me my engine only had 1qt of oil left.

I was like, "do you see any leaks anywhere? Bottom, top, side, anywhere under the hood?" They told me no. I asked them to check to make sure, again in the morning, but no sign of leak.

I checked my drive way for sign of engine oil leak, nothing there either.

Just as a back ground, I do my oil change. I use Mobile 1 with honda filter. I've been doing this since 2006. I get about 10k out of it.

If engine burned the oil, I can understand maybe 1qt or so. Not 3.75 qts. Where did it go?

Dealership is saying your engine oil got burned...I was like WTF. They recommend I change my oil every 5k and monitor. This is so weird. I didn't see any black smoke coming from tail pipe either (which indicates burning oil)

Any idea??? Or anyone with similar problem?

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
Could you have made a mistake and not filled it the whole 4.75 quarts? If you only put in say 2 quarts and then a quart got burnt may be?

Also, just because the dealership says you only have 1 qt left, that doesn't mean you only really have 1 qt left. You might be low but I doubt they measured it to be exactly 1 qt.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I beleive (not 100% sure) that Honda considers 1QT consumed per 1000 miles to be within normal range.

If you never check the oil level in a 10,000 mile OCI, shame on you. You should check it and top off every 1000 miles.

black smoke = too rich fuel mixture
blue smoke = oil
white smoke = water/antifreeze

it sounds like you need to monitor what is going on with your oil levels and get more specifics.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks for reply.

Just to be clear, I do the oil change. I buy the 5QT jug, and I know how much I put in. I do change my filter at 5000, so I top it off accordingly.

I don't believe burning 1qt of oil every 1000 is normal. Typical oil change indicator goes for anywhere from 5000-8000, depending on many factor, that mean, everyone will be having this problem.

Dealership drained the oil into the 10 qt jug with the markings. I went to the shop, verified it. However, that doesn't mean they didn't like. I could make that claim easily, but I doubt it. I think dealership shops are rip offs, because they tends to charge too much. If they did, then I can only say WOW!!!

I will monitor it to see how it goes, but it is just weird.

Oh and didn't see blue smoke (continuous) either (thanks for the correction on color chart) :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yesterday, my 05 ody had check engine light came on. I took it to the dealership, and 3 hours later, they told me my engine only had 1qt of oil left.

I was like, "do you see any leaks anywhere? Bottom, top, side, anywhere under the hood?" They told me no. I asked them to check to make sure, again in the morning, but no sign of leak.

I checked my drive way for sign of engine oil leak, nothing there either.

Just as a back ground, I do my oil change. I use Mobile 1 with honda filter. I've been doing this since 2006. I get about 10k out of it.

If engine burned the oil, I can understand maybe 1qt or so. Not 3.75 qts. Where did it go?

Dealership is saying your engine oil got burned...I was like WTF. They recommend I change my oil every 5k and monitor. This is so weird. I didn't see any black smoke coming from tail pipe either (which indicates burning oil)

Any idea??? Or anyone with similar problem?
I have a 2005 odyssey and i find that for every 3000km or 1900miles i have to add 1 quart of oil. There is no blue smoke coming out so there is no visible sign of oil burning and there are no leaks. This is my 4th honda but the first one that i have ever added oil to the engine.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Couple things:

1. I cannot believe your engine survives on 1 qt of oil in the sump! It should have triggered the "Low Oil Pressure" light on the dash already.
Anyway, something is strange here.

2. Regardless of cars I drive, brand new or older cars with 100K miles, I always check engine oil level every 500-1000 miles.

FYI, My 2007 Ody with 45K miles, drinks no oil between change interval of 5K.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well, obviously keep an eye on it now, and I'd take some oil in from that remainder or the next change and have it analyzed, also figure out where its going. My '06 does not use much oil at all between changes. You could have had a leak at the oil drain plug, or the filter, is your parking spot have any oil on it? If not, maybe you are burning it. check plugs.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't believe burning 1qt of oil every 1000 is normal. Typical oil change indicator goes for anywhere from 5000-8000, depending on many factor, that mean, everyone will be having this problem.

Don't misunderstand what I am saying.

1qt consumed per 1000 miles driven is considered WITHIN normal range, not normal based on an average of all Honda engines. Honda may have 5% of their engines at the max of this range and you may have one of them :) While 90% of their engines burn nothing.

Honda has to give something in writing from the legal team to say what is and what is not a NORMAL range for oil consumption.

I was hoping someone here could confirm the exact amount. It may be MORE than what I have stated. I doubt highly it is LESS than what I stated.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't know that having low oil will cause you check engine light to come one. Is this true?
That was strange to me as well...I would thought low oil pressure light would come on first, then check engine.

I am going to check the darn thing for next 20k or so.

I've done the Mobile 1 oil change since about 40k, about 10k oil change intervals, and never ever had the engine lost over 3qts, not even 1.

That's what make this very strange.

Will see...I will check the pipe and see if it burns anything. It sounds as though few different theries out there.

I've own hondas for close to 20 years now, never had this happen.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I don't believe burning 1qt of oil every 1000 is normal.
It's certainly not desirable, but Honda's stated in several TSBs and service news articles that oil consumption of more than 1 quart in 1000 miles is deemed excessive. This is true for many other manufacturers (Subaru, as an example) as well - they aren't going to chase it as a problem until it's more than 1qt in 1000 miles.

At least in the Subaru world (Subaru's are notoriously hard on oil in terms of shearing it down) M-1 is shunned as it's on the thin side (e.g., their 5w30 is almost a 20wt.) and shears down rapidly leading to increased loss due to burning on the cylinder wall and blow by. Have you tried another oil? We've been using Penzoil platinum (5w20) in our 05 Oddy and maybe use 0.5 qts in 7000 miles. (I use more shear stable oils in my WRX)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have owned over 20 Hondas in my life and have only had 1 that burned oil(1998 Honda Civic HX)... but that car was beat down and abused before I bought it. Normally I really look over a vehicle very well before I buy it, but the HX was an impulsive purchase at a charity auction. That explains why it was at an auction though... LOL!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My other theory is this Honda dealer is suspicious.
Only time will tell. If there is truly some other problems with the engine, then I would think check engine light will come on again within few days.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
How many times on here have I seen where someone got a check engine light and never bothered lifting the hood and checking the fluids? The very first thing to be done after immediately shutting off engine. Checking fluids regularly is a must. Once the oil light comes on the engine is toast.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
To the Original Poster: the BIGGEST question now is: does the van run well?
If it runs well, then there is probably nothing major happening.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To the Original Poster: the BIGGEST question now is: does the van run well?
If it runs well, then there is probably nothing major happening.
It is running now. If there is loss of oil again, then I would think there is a problem.

use of M1 oil past 3-4 years has probably helped when check engine light came on, and still engine was running with only 1qt.

I would think I might need a new engine, if I was running with normal oil. I don't want this topic to talk about syn vs conv oil. This is just how I feel about syn oil.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It is running now. If there is loss of oil again, then I would think there is a problem.

use of M1 oil past 3-4 years has probably helped when check engine light came on, and still engine was running with only 1qt.

I would think I might need a new engine, if I was running with normal oil. I don't want this topic to talk about syn vs conv oil. This is just how I feel about syn oil.
Something is not right here,,, do a test, take picture of measured oil level on dip stick,, take car back to the dealer and tell them to change your oil,,, if they come back and your 3.75 qts low,, run to honda corp rep,, show picture and let Honda take care of the rest,, :DD

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Something is not right here,,, do a test, take picture of measured oil level on dip stick,, take car back to the dealer and tell them to change your oil,,, if they come back and your 3.75 qts low,, run to honda corp rep,, show picture and let Honda take care of the rest,, :DD
Just gotta read it from the beginning.

I do my oil change. No sign of leaks. But over 3 qt was gone according to the dealership. They did the oil change at the shop. Car is running now.
I will monitor the oil level closely (maybe once a week rather than once a month).

Never had this type of problem with any Honda vehicles I've been driven past 20 years or so.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts