Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Banned
728 Posts
Tilting an outboard seat forward is really the only way. That won't work easily for adults who can't contort a bit, but works for younger people. It is really the problem with the 8 passenger set up and 3 seats across the middle row.

Getting to the rear is a pain, although if you put one child seat in the rear row and took out the centre seat, you could have easier access to the rear row, albeit with 7 passenger seating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
facebook ody page

I asked the same question at the Odyssey page on facebook. A few minutes later I went back to check in hoping to see a reply, what I found instead was that they had deleted my question. From this I am concluding that there is no solution and I might have to stick one child seat in the rear. A little disappointed because one of the main reason I chose an Odyssey over a Sienna was for this feature, who would've thought that it would cut the people capacity by 1/3. I know some may think I am nit picking but both toddlers refuse to sit in the rear and the new born has to be in the middle row so that Mom may tend to him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tilting an outboard seat forward is really the only way. That won't work easily for adults who can't contort a bit, but works for younger people. It is really the problem with the 8 passenger set up and 3 seats across the middle row.

Getting to the rear is a pain, although if you put one child seat in the rear row and took out the centre seat, you could have easier access to the rear row, albeit with 7 passenger seating.
Thanks for the advice but unfortunately the contorting period for the two sets of grandparents have past a few decades ago :DD.

I will try the tilting though thanks to all that suggested this.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I asked the same question at the Odyssey page on facebook. A few minutes later I went back to check in hoping to see a reply, what I found instead was that they had deleted my question. From this I am concluding that there is no solution and I might have to stick one child seat in the rear. A little disappointed because one of the main reason I chose an Odyssey over a Sienna was for this feature, who would've thought that it would cut the people capacity by 1/3. I know some may think I am nit picking but both toddlers refuse to sit in the rear and the new born has to be in the middle row so that Mom may tend to him.

When my 4 year old refuses to do something I send her to her room for a bit to think about it. As for our 2 year old, he isn't old enough to "refuse" yet. :)

Seriously, why don't you put one child seat in the rear row. If Mom is attending to the newborn, the middle seat in row 2 is where it needs to be. If Mom needs access to the baby and you keep 3 across, she can get in the second row as long as the toddlers are in forward facing seats. Don't forget that the middle seat in row 2 will slide forward so Mom can reach from the passenger (front) seat.

It isn't a perfect world, but the van is already one of the largest one out there. At some point we have to say "compromise".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In terms of size I cannot disagree, I have to fold both side mirrors to get it in my garage.

I'm just a bit perplexed that Honda being so innovative as to create such a useful feature as a 3 child seat 2nd row that they would forget the need for access to the 3rd row. I really thought I was just failing to find the pages for it in their massive users manual. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
If the older kids refuse to sit in the rear just leave them at home... or by the roadside, or give them away to another loving family with a greyhound bus with seating for 100:)

Best of luck...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I believe they have all those latches for car seats to provide us with options, rather than saying that we'll us all spots for car seats. My EX-RES has 5 latch spots, but I don't plan to have 5 baby seats in my van at any time.

Like others have potentially mentioned, if you plan to have an adult sit in the back, the best bet would to be to place one of the children in the 3rd row. If you have two additional adults, one can sit in the 2nd row, the other in the 3rd row. Besides what others have mentioned for access to 3rd row, the only other option is the back hatch door. GL.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Here is a the option I've tried. It is very tight, but it works for those few times when is needed (Britax marathons, but I now have a Britax Frontier).
I see you have the same useless Fisher Price rainforest baby mirror. While the music and lights do calm my son, I can never positon that mirror to be visible in my rear view mirror.

:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I see you have the same useless Fisher Price rainforest baby mirror. While the music and lights do calm my son, I can never positon that mirror to be visible in my rear view mirror.

We've never bought batteries for those (we have the jungle one too) but we've managed to align both mirrors. Problem is, the alignment does not last, my 2 older ones keep on playing with it :mad:

At least they keep the baby entertained :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
We've never bought batteries for those (we have the jungle one too) but we've managed to align both mirrors. Problem is, the alignment does not last, my 2 older ones keep on playing with it :mad:

At least they keep the baby entertained :)
You should pop is some batteries. Your child gets to see some flashing lights and you get to hear this fake annoying rainforest sound over and over and over ...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another way to get in is through the rear. Simply fold flat the rear single seat and climb in. You then have access to the rear side and rear middle seats.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Another way to get in is through the rear. Simply fold flat the rear single seat and climb in. You then have access to the rear side and rear middle seats.
Unfortunately, this only works if you don't have a lot of stuff and gear in the back storage area. I think two car seat in the middle row and one car seat in the 3rd row is the best compromise.

:)

·
Banned
728 Posts
Unfortunately, this only works if you don't have a lot of stuff and gear in the back storage area. I think two car seat in the middle row and one car seat in the 3rd row is the best compromise.

:)
After looking at all of the possible combinations and with a view to maximizing passenger seating, I agree. The only thing is, I don't like having young kids in the rear row. Call me paranoid, but I worry about being rear ended and then having problems getting to the rear row or injury in the rear row.

If we had 3 kids, I think we would put them 3 across in the second row and my wife would check on the infant in the middle position, with that seat slid forward. Unless we are on a long trip, we haven't found it necessary to tend to our 18 month old. On longer trips the OP could put one child in the rear row and his wife in an outboard seat.

We looked at several vehicles and while all were great, none were perfect. The Honda came the closest for us, but I agree that some way to slide the passenger curbside seat (middle row) farther forward, even if it meant having to move the front passenger seat forward as well, would have been better than the tight fit it is to try and get to the rear row by tipping the outboard seat forward.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Done this without issue, 4 kids and 4 adults. 2 car seats in the middle row and 2 (one booster and 1 full seat) in the back with one adult in each. this way you can tilt and slide one middle row side for rear access. My father is 70 yrs old and 6'2" and had no problems making it to the 3rd row. Granted he prefers the front of any vehicle but his comment was it wasn't bad even on a 2 hour drive.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts