Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out with the Ody in with the......

Well,

It was a good run. The new owners took our 2005 Touring yesterday and today we pick up our new Sienna AWD LTD.

After almost 6 years the Touring served us quite well. The new owners had it checked at the dealer before purchasing and all it needed was a wiper blade.

In the end we only had to do the following major service items:

1. New battery after 4 years
2. New rear rotors/pads after 5 years (60000 kms)
3. Standard other items such as oil changes, filter changes, trans fluid changes, etc etc.

I'll report on the Toy Yoda shortly.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, Mike. The Sienna is a good looking vehicle...for a van. Can't say the same for the Honda. I'm sure you will enjoy the Yoda.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Congratulations on your new van. I too am considering a Sienna Limited, however I think I'd probably go for the extra features and no Run flats with a FWD model. Please do report on your comparison.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old Rig:

New Rig:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well,

We've gone over to the "other" side. Picked up our new 2011 Sienna LTD AWD yesterday.

Here are my initial impressions based on 30 miles of driving:

1. The van is absolutely beautiful from pretty much every angle. It looks much nicer than our 05 and requires no comment against the 2011 Ody.
2. Intelligent Key system is great. Every vehicle should have this
3. Interior plastic, while initially looks cheap, once your in the van and not staring directly at it the interior looks nice, albeit very Toyota which is conservative compared to Honda
4. Gauge cluster is "ok", I prefer the 05 Touring but again this is typical Toyota
5. Leather is very nice, nicer than our 05 was.
6. Ergo's are good and possibly great - I need to drive it more. I'm tall at 6'2" so I'm fairly particular on this. Glad the steer wheel is both tilt and telescopic
7. Nav screen is smaller than 05 Ody by a little and the resolution is not quite as good I think
8. Rear camera system better than 05 ody
9. Most switchgear is easy to read and accessible although I noticed that the right side Nav buttons tend to get a reflection on them from the right side of the van so they are hard to read when driving in the daylight
10. There are a few buttons that are not illuminiated which is dumb
11. The side door buttons are much more logically placed in the center overhead vs left of the driver on the Ody which makes it easier to open doors for by both Mom or Dad.
12. The van, or at least the width at the mirrors are wider than the old van, it is a tighter squeeze into the garage now
13. Stereo is better than the Ody but not Mark Levinson quality
14. 2nd row Ottoman seats are very nice.
15. Having sun shades on 2nd and 3rd rows very nice to have
16. I really like that the rear windows can open out a little for ventilation

Initial driving impressions are that it is quite "different". Van is very quiet and rides very smooth. While hard to compare a brand new van against a van with 40K miles on it I would say it is truly quieter and smoother while riding very similar in terms of firmness with the 18" wheels vs the 16's on the Ody. The steering is grossly overboosted in normal Toyota style and I wish the wheel was all leather vs. the woodgrain crap.

The new van is definately quicker than the old, based on a little more power and obviously the 6 speed trans. Trans is quite responsive and logical without hunting. The engine note is very different and more noticable than on the Ody. I don't mind hearing the engine when you're into it so it's not bad. I do find that the engine sounds more raspy than the Ody which is probably not as nice an experience.

Brakes are very good if not exceptional and Headlights are very good as well.

The overall feel in terms of size is different. The front seems much higher than the lower/sleeker feel of the front of the Ody. To a certain extent it feels like you're driving a bigger vehicle.

I also found that it seems like the rear window is smaller when looking through the rearview mirror, along with the side mirrors seeming smaller in terms of viewable area.

As I drive it more I can update these impressions.

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thats a beautiful swagger wagon. Congratulations! If no one has seen the you tube video Toyota did titled "Swagger Wagon", go watch it. Funny funny stuff!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I can't believe how much the toyota looks like the 3rd gen ody. Thanks for the pix.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jbrain1 said:
I can't believe how much the toyota looks like the 3rd gen ody. Thanks for the pix.
Well they are both minivans......:stupid:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JAvendan said:
nice.

thanks for the update.

did you notice any handling improvements with the AWD?

joel
In the dry there is no difference.

Much to my chagrin, the 2011 AWD is not the same as the real time AWD of the prior generation. The new '11 AWD is really a dumbed down system which is "slip and grip". Essentially it's FWD and it engages the rear when front slip is noticed. To bad and to late now. The upgrade cost in Canada is only $950 anyways and you get special rims for the AWD version which I really like.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Snobike Mike said:
...10. There are a few buttons that are not illuminiated which is dumb...
That was always a bone of contention for me when I had the 2nd gen ody and it always nagged on me. The steering wheel controls and power window and door lock switches weren't lighted. They rectified this in the 3rd gen thank goodness so now I'm happy. For me, that alone would disuade me from buying it. Which buttons did they not light in your van?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Off the top of my head the mirror buttons were'nt illuminated and possibly the rear vent buttons, or only partially.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wife just called me to tell me how unbelievably awesome the new van is and how much she loves it (this is her first day driving around in it for real as I took delivery myself).

I am a good husband. :p

·
Registered
302 Posts
Snobike Mike said:
In the dry there is no difference.

Much to my chagrin, the 2011 AWD is not the same as the real time AWD of the prior generation. The new '11 AWD is really a dumbed down system which is "slip and grip". Essentially it's FWD and it engages the rear when front slip is noticed. To bad and to late now. The upgrade cost in Canada is only $950 anyways and you get special rims for the AWD version which I really like.
Thats what honda has been using for years. Since the 97 CR-V. And it does the job great.

·
Registered
606 Posts
It should be fine for general use. Although I don't get in snow very often, usually only on annual ski trip, I have driven in snow a lot in past. I had rented a Vue AWD and it was not very good for snow IMHO, but I drive aggressively. I was in snow on uphill switchbacks and wanted to turn early, get the thing sideways and then throttle through the turn. This did not work as the herky-jerky system would spin fronts, under-steer into the other lane, then a second later, the back would engage and it would over-steer, totally unpredictable. If the system was in 4wd all the time like Subie's or Evo, it would have been fun. Then when I got out the smell of overheated transfer case greeted me, glad it was a rental.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Nice Review, I agree with everything you said. Intelligent key is a must have, when I bought my 09 Camry XLE it had it and I thought it was a gimmick, but man do I love it.

The van is quieter and smoother to me.

One feature that I really like that I thought was strange was the sliding door switches on the inside of the b-pillars. When you are sitting in the 2nd row, I find that they are easier to use than the inside handle. On the outside of the van I find that I use them to close the sliders after I get my kids out, as does my wife and MIL. I am guessing they were placed perfectly. What this means is that we hardly ever use the inside or outside handles to open and close the sliders.

·
Registered
34 Posts
jbrain1 said:
Yeah, both beautiful. Just last Saturday I passed a Honda dealer and noted they had the new 2011 Ody (3 actually) on the lot. Went in and did a visual. IMHO, totally ugly is the rear half. The previous Ody is really nice, but this new one looks like Honda tried to make it look like a poorly-styled crossover. For sure Toyota has my next van!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by Snobike Mike 13. Stereo is better than the Ody but not Mark Levinson quality
Tell me more about your home stereo... :D

Originally posted by Snobike Mike 16. I really like that the rear windows can open out a little for ventilation
Probably the one thing I hate the most on the 3rd gen odyssey. I presume they don't open since the sliding doors' windows can open; I'd rather have low-noise air-flow instead of the helicopter sound effect. Audibly reduces your blind-spot on the freeways too.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Re: 30 Mile review of 2011 Sienna vs 05 Ody

poohsan said:
Tell me more about your home stereo... :D
Not Mark Levinson but I do have Arcam components and Monitor Audio Speakers and a rather large LCD........ :D

Probably the one thing I hate the most on the 3rd gen odyssey. I presume they don't open since the sliding doors' windows can open; I'd rather have low-noise air-flow instead of the helicopter sound effect. Audibly reduces your blind-spot on the freeways too.
On the 3rd Gen Ody the 2nd row went down but no 3rd row opening. 2nd row only had sunshades, optional for 3rd row.

On the Sienna the 2nd row rolls down and the 3rd row moves out and it has sunshades on both rows.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts