Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm impressed. I just got back from a trip to Yellowstone NP, and while there I drove pretty slow. The max speed limit in the park is 45 mph. I had three tanks in a row where I got 34-36 mpg. 2 people plus camping gear. Mostly windows open, no AC. 98 LX.

On the way there, I got pretty poor mpg (~23) while driving 85 mph into the wind while gaining elevation in Montana and running the AC. I wasn't too excited about that because that's about what I get in similar conditions with my 2008 Ody with a much bigger engine and a lot more weight to haul around.

I think the main difference is that while in Yellowstone, I was unintentionally keeping the vtec in economy mode, as I rarely topped 50 mph or 2300 rpm (which is the magic number for when the vtec might switch over to performance mode). Although we did stop a lot, and had some periods of extended idling and some climbing. I wasn't trying to get good mpg, it just happened.

So, I tested it...sort of. On my first tank outside the park, I was doing some heavy climbing through Wyoming (2nd gear stuff) and also cruising at 65 mph or so when not climbing. I got 30 on that tank. On the next one, I intentionally tried to keep it under 2300 rpm, and I probably succeeded for roughly half the tank, then I got in a hurry and drove faster...up to ~65 mph, but I still got 34.5 mpg on that tank.

Next tank was all interstate, roughly half of it at 70 mph, and the other half at 80 mph. Back down below 30 mpg.

Anyone else having similar experiences? Anyone have the patience to test a whole tank at less than 2300rpm? Could I get 40 if I were patient enough?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought of one other piece of relevant information. My check engine light is on with code P0740. The transmission seems to upshift fine, but according to my Helms manual it is engaging the lockup earlier than it should (at lower rpm). Downshifts mostly work fine, but it seems to be reluctant to let go of the lockup under normal deceleration. It will downshift for more power fine (either releasing the lockup or downshifting to 3rd, 2nd, etc...).

So, it's possible that it is running with the lockup engaged at lower speeds than it should. I haven't noticed any problems with this, it doesn't appear to be lugging the engine, and I generally have plenty of power when I need it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts