Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought i had seen a thread on this some time back but can't seem to locate it. currently have an '01 ex and was holding out for an '11 touring but after reading up on it, i am thinking about pursuing a used 3rd gen touring. not looking to create a 3rd gen / 4th gen debate for in my opinion even though honda has tweaked their offering, both gens are worthy vehicles. my personal situation is a family of 4 (girls 9 & 11), wife's daily driver, 2 to 3 2,000 mile road trips a year. thoughts regarding features offered, reliability, etc. between the years much appreciated but no pax!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I would think an '09-'10 would be the best. You can get the touring without PAX and while the jury might still be out...they should be the most trouble-free.

With that being said....we're looking at the '11 Sienna.

·
Registered
755 Posts
we have 11 ody touring elite right now, and had a 05 touring back then. Our 05 was pretty reliable i would say. We've had all of the services done at honda on time, and the only extra stuff that needed to be replaced were rear engine mount, and the power steering pump. If you're thinking about getting a 3rd gen ody, then i would recommend you to depax as soon as you can. A set of PAX tires now run about 1200 dollars i believe. And they only last around 25k to 35k miles, and if you're lucky, 40k miles, which then youre tires would be BALD. 05-06 odys have 3 shaft tranny, and from 07-10 odys have 4 shaft tranny, which is from Ridgeline. Some of 05-06 ody owners had torque converter problem, whereas lots of 07-10 odys had torque converter problem. Our 05's tranny wasnt that weak though. And our torque converter was sort of acting up after 110k miles, but after we drain and refilled our tranny, the symptom went away. Hope this helps

·
Registered
786 Posts
Most 2008 Tourings were sold without PAX. There were really no major advancements in features from 08 to 2010. There actually wasn't a whole lot from 07 to 08 either besides the deletion of PAX, and the addition of the 8th seat and bluetooth.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would i be correct in saying there are no differences between an 08, 09 &10?!

·
Registered
17 Posts
backing camera location?

I have an '07 so my knowledge isn't comprehensive.

08's and higher should have the 1/8" stereo mini plug aux input, right?

On the 08+ tourings is the backing camera still in the nav screen or does it show in the rear view mirror like it does on the EX-L for those years?

·
Registered
755 Posts
yeaa 08+ should have 3.5mm aux jack in the front.

And all the touring models show the back up camera on the navigation, thats if it came

with a navigation of course.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
EX-L models with NAV also show backup cam on big screen. NAV option replaces the rear-view mirror monitor on all models.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
first thoughts for exterior color are taffeta white, polished metal metallic but what color leather shows / wears best? like the ivory but afraid it will read dirtly quickly, afraid gray will be depressing and black cavernous. what color looks best with the factory 17" alloys?

·
Registered
755 Posts
We always opt to go with the darkest leather if possible, to prevent from showing the worn out leather, or even dirt, etc. But that's just us. It's too hot in the summer though :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
first thoughts for exterior color are taffeta white, polished metal metallic but what color leather shows / wears best? like the ivory but afraid it will read dirtly quickly, afraid gray will be depressing and black cavernous. what color looks best with the factory 17" alloys?
Thats what Olive is/was for. A perfect shade of between gray and ivory. But more gray than tan. I will see if I can find a picture.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my '01 has the fern interior which i love but my understanding is the olive leather in not available in the touring model!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have an '07 so my knowledge isn't comprehensive.

08's and higher should have the 1/8" stereo mini plug aux input, right?

On the 08+ tourings is the backing camera still in the nav screen or does it show in the rear view mirror like it does on the EX-L for those years?
'08 the backup cam is still in the nav.

i chose and '08 touring non-pax used, cuz nothing improved in '09 or '10

i would have taken an '09 EX-L at the time too because it also has a power tailgate, but none (used) were around when we were looking to buy,

·
Registered
786 Posts
my '01 has the fern interior which i love but my understanding is the olive leather in not available in the touring model!
Your right, in the 2010 model year, the Olive was not available on the Touring. It might also have been the case in 09, but I know for a fact it was from at least 05-08 (I can even name the exterior colors that came with it). It was a rare color to begin with and most exterior colors that came with it had an option between it and another, making it even rarer.

·
Registered
730 Posts
thought i had seen a thread on this some time back but can't seem to locate it. currently have an '01 ex and was holding out for an '11 touring but after reading up on it, i am thinking about pursuing a used 3rd gen touring. not looking to create a 3rd gen / 4th gen debate for in my opinion even though honda has tweaked their offering, both gens are worthy vehicles. my personal situation is a family of 4 (girls 9 & 11), wife's daily driver, 2 to 3 2,000 mile road trips a year. thoughts regarding features offered, reliability, etc. between the years much appreciated but no pax!

Bert, we have very similar situations, I'm looking hard at 11's but I'm now considering a late model touring.

All, how do you i.d. a non-pax version? Tire size?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Bert, we have very similar situations, I'm looking hard at 11's but I'm now considering a late model touring.

All, how do you i.d. a non-pax version? Tire size?
First of all, any Touring sold in 2009 or 2010 will be PAX free. Also, the majority of 08s will not have PAX. I believe the tire also has it written on the side.
All PAX tires have 10 spokes evenly spaced. Not to be confused with the 05-07 EX & EXL "star" rims that have 10 spokes, but are not evenly spaced. The "wind turbine" 08-2010 EX & EXL rims have 9 spokes I believe. And all non PAX Touring rims have 5 solid wide spokes.

·
Registered
730 Posts
First of all, any Touring sold in 2009 or 2010 will be PAX free. Also, the majority of 08s will not have PAX. I believe the tire also has it written on the side.
All PAX tires have 10 spokes evenly spaced. Not to be confused with the 05-07 EX & EXL "star" rims that have 10 spokes, but are not evenly spaced. The "wind turbine" 08-2010 EX & EXL rims have 9 spokes I believe. And all non PAX Touring rims have 5 solid wide spokes.
Thanks, I've been perusing the online sites for '08-'10 and they all appear to be PAX free. I am familiar with the 10 spoke PAX wheel, I thought the tire was also a non-standard size which is another easy clue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts