Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you guys drive around with the 3rd row up or down? And why?

Wondering if I should get the trunk liner (which has to come out when the 3rd row is up, I think).

Or, if I should just get a trunk tray, but does anyone know if the OEM trunk tray interferes with stowing the 3rd row?
If you're not using the 3rd row? Put it down for more storage, plus you won't have to worry about the seat getting damaged. I have a 2002 Odyssey, the tray does not interfere. Look in your owners manual, if you need verification?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you guys drive around with the 3rd row up or down? And why?

Wondering if I should get the trunk liner (which has to come out when the 3rd row is up, I think).

Or, if I should just get a trunk tray, but does anyone know if the OEM trunk tray interferes with stowing the 3rd row?
I like to keep the 3rd-row seats up so it will be readily available to passengers, and because I like to use the seat well for groceries, etc. I purchased a thin flat high-quality rubber mat to leave in the seat well to prevent damage from spills. You may consider using the back hatch of the van as much as possible. Although the van is relatively sturdy, you don't want to open the side doors more than necessary. The switches, door rails, and related parts such as the steel cable tend to break, bind, stop working, or cause problems if the door is opened frequently. Check other posts on this site and you will find that the doors do have problems if used frequently. My van is 15 years old and I’ve never had problems with the sliding doors because I use them so infrequently. Plus, the flat rubber car mat does not interfere with the seats when I need to drop them down into the seat well.

·
Registered
2013 Odyssey Touring Elite
62 Posts
3rd row stays up for passengers. We figure that's why its a van. But, we have the smaller cargo tray. Fits well and doesn't interfere for the few times we have decided to fold down the seats. Most often if we need that much cargo space, we use the truck bed. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
move your spare to your roof box if you have one, and you have additional space behind first row :D
Actually, we do have the Honda roof rack so that is possible. Glad they put that spare tire where they did. Nice cubby hole for more storage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2015 EX-L uses the trunk well OEM liner (from my old 2004 EX-L) and the WeatherTechs in the front and middle sections. My standard configuration is middle seats always out and wrapped up in the shed and 3rd row up. When using the van on surf trips where I have a number of boards, surfing gear, cooler(s) and regular luggage, the 3rd seat is recessed. I usually have a couple of empty spacer boxes (beer/wine boxes) to keep things from sliding around but that usually isn't an issue.

On big camper van road trips, I turn the 3rd row seatbacks down, cover up with a tarp and use them as back supports for a platform bed and two sturdy plastic shelf units as the forward supports. That arrangement gives me a lot of storage space underneath the bed platform and makes use of the trunk well for a cooler, camp boxes, coleman stove, etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My rear seats are usually down. We're empty nesters and seldom have use for that many seats. We use the ody for longer trips and traveling. In our second seat area, the middle seat/armrest is also removed and we have a refrigerator between the seats.
Cool!
What kind of fridge is it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We’re a family of 3 and hardly use the 3rd row. It’s stored flat and covered with remnant carpet bought from Big Lots, spent like $20.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 3rd row is down all the time. I feel the van has more utility that way since I use the van for trips to home improvement stores and such. We don't need the 3rd row for passengers very much, maybe once a year.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,273 Posts
I don't have a 5th gen Ody, but I do have an Ody, so I figured I'd chime in

I keep my 3rd row up even though it's almost never sat in unless I'm hauling a ton of stuff on a long trip or I'm hauling something big. I also carry 20+ 1 gallon plastic water jugs to and from the store to get filled, and the cargo area with the 3rd row up happens to fit all of them perfectly.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Cool!
What kind of fridge is it?
Dometic CFX3 35 operates with a VMSO3 variable speed compressor. It can freeze down to -7f, but we run it around 36 to37f. Will hold 50 cans of Soda. with room to spare. Great for long trips.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dometic CFX3 35 operates with a VMSO3 variable speed compressor. It can freeze down to -7f, but we run it around 36 to37f. Will hold 50 cans of Soda. with room to spare. Great for long trips.
Wow! That is so cool! I’ve been eagerly
Awaiting your response lol.
The website mentions all of the power supply options, but is very vague beyond that.
how do you power yours? Off an inverter?
thanks!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Wow! That is so cool! I’ve been eagerly
Awaiting your response lol.
The website mentions all of the power supply options, but is very vague beyond that.
how do you power yours? Off an inverter?
thanks!
Just plug it in, 12VDC or 110VDC. They give you two cords, one for each. You switch cord depending on your power source. The 12 vdc has a voltage sensing circuit devise that senses your vehicles voltages and turn off the frig if your battery is getting low, insuring that you will be able to start your vehicle. I plug it into the rear 12 power.
They make several different sizes, 13 Can/10.5L Capacity up to 144 Can/106L Capacity. Natually price goes up as the size goes up. Dometic Powered Coolers: Never Use Ice Again . There are several RV parts dealers that discount the coolers. Make sure you search around on line to get a good price, cause the well known places don't give you any breaks on price. I have a older model. Think I paid around $600 for mine. I store my insulin in it along with soda, water, sandwiches, etc. Mine is plugged in all the time. Fits perfectly between the two middle seats. Also use it for hauling the frozen stuff home from grocery store trips. When were are traveling and the motel room doesn't have a frig, it goes into the room with us.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,792 Posts
For those who like to keep the third row stowed, it's wise to check the area under that row for water, periodically. There have been several complaints about water leaking in and going unnoticed for a while until the rug molds. I keep mine stowed all the time but I have also removed the center row seats and installed a sheet of plywood on the floor because I often haul cargo.

·
Registered
19 Odyssey, 08 Odyssey, 19 VW GLI, 93 911, 06 FJR
13 Posts
In our 2008 (mainly relegated to cargo duties), the third row is down all the time with the rubber mat. In our 2019, the third row is up, primarily people mover.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We kept ours up, sometimes the seat backs were folded down, but we found much more use for the well than a flat floor. Our close friends transport two mobility scooters daily and their third row has been used twice since purchase (early 2018 MY).

21 - 40 of 44 Posts