Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hello All

For The 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L,...The Owners Manual Calls For 4.5 Qts. For Oil Change With Filter,...Is It Ok If I Put The Full 5 Qt In The Engine???
The dipstick will answer your question. What I do is I put in 4 quarts of oil before I start the engine and then check the level via the dipstick. I than add a little bit at a time till I get to the full mark on the dipstick. That is the best way to do it. Not just blindly add X number of quarts. Being a little low is not a big deal. Putting in too much is bad. You should never overfill your crankcase. If you overfill the oil pan the crank will froth up the oil which introduces air in the system. The air displaces the oil in the critical bearing surfaces and you are not getting proper lubrication.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thx for the suggestions. It is certainly possible that short trips are contributing to this issue. We use this van for short trips most days, but it also gets at least one 10+ mile trip most days. I would assume that would be enough to burn off any water, but TBH I haven't paid that much attention to how the van was driven when the oil level increased the most (about 1/4 inch over the hashed area on the dipstick). I have an oil change coming up soon, so next round I will pay more attention to my wife's driving habits (got lots of time for these things now that I will be working from home for the next x months!)
Short trips where the oils does not get up to operatiing temperature are really tough on an engine. I would change my oil much more frequently than recommended. I would try to do a medium length highway trip at least once a week to allow the engine to burn off crap that accumulates in the engine oil.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
541 Posts
You should never overfill your crankcase. If you overfill the oil pan the crank will froth up the oil which introduces air in the system. The air displaces the oil in the critical bearing surfaces and you are not getting proper lubrication.
All true, but there is a tolerance for what 'overfilled' is. In my old WRX, it was ~2 quarts (I miscounted quarts once during an oil change...). In track-day scenarios, it is actually suggested to run up to 1 quart overfilled to prevent oil starvation in corners (true on both the WRX and the 3s-gte turbo engine found in a few Toyotas).

0.25-0.5 quarts overfilled is not ideal, but not a problem. I do the same/similar on my 4Runner - capacity with the larger filter I run is ~5.8 quarts - I dump in a full 6 to avoid having partially full bottles hanging around the garage...

-Charlie

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pretty obvious everyone on this thread checks their oil. What is your opinion regarding the OP's question about adding the extra 0.5 qts (5 qts instead of 4.5) of oil during an oil change?
When servicing my vehicles, I do not add any oil beyond "F" on the dipstick. That said, my local dealership has been putting in a full 5 qts ("free" changes with vehicle purchase) and I can't be bothered to drain off the extra 1/2 qt., especially without a Fumoto installed.

·
Registered
505 Posts
When servicing my vehicles, I do not add any oil beyond "F" on the dipstick. That said, my local dealership has been putting in a full 5 qts ("free" changes with vehicle purchase) and I can't be bothered to drain off the extra 1/2 qt., especially without a Fumoto installed.
I'm surprised your dealer would give you extra oil. My dealer would be more likely to short me a half quart, just to save a few pennies!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts