Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to take a paddling trip in a couple of weeks, and would like to take all four of us in one vehicle. I have a 2007 Odyssey EXL. I can fit all four touring kayaks (roughly 200 lbs, total) on the Yakima racks on top of the van. I'm estimating that the weight of each individual plus their gear is roughly 250 lbs on the average. That yields a total estimated weight of roughly 1200 lbs.

Does anyone know if this is acceptable, strictly from a weight standpoint?

Does anyone have experience loading 4 kayaks (2 12' yaks, 1 14' yak, and a 14.5' yak) on an Odyssey? Want to make sure it's not too much weight on the rough for structure purposes but also for roll-over concerns...

Thanks, in advance, for your feedback!

·
Registered
40 Posts
There should be a label in the driver's door jamb that presents the information you seek on total load. I'm not sure about the roof rack. Have you checked the Yakima documentation?

Good luck, and have fun on your float trip!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yakima and Thule all suggest 150 lbs for liability reasons, not knowing anything about what vehicle it might go on, etc...

I'm expecting this part of my question will likely need to be answered by someone with experience on this...rather than a measurement that is posted somewhere...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds like you've asked a two-part question: 1) Can my vehicle haul 1200 lbs (your estimate) and 2) Will the roof rack support 200 lbs.

Answer #1) Look at the label in the driver's door jamb. There you will find a phrase that states something like, "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed XXX kg or XXX lbs." If your 1200 lb. estimate is greater than the weight stated on the label, YOU ARE OVERLOADED.

Answer #2) There is a section in your owner's manual about carrying cargo, which includes information on loading a roof rack. Again, there is a stated limit (the 2011 limit is 165 lbs, including the rack and the cargo). If your load exceeds the stated limit, YOU ARE OVERLOADED.

If you want to take someone's word that their load on their Odyssey was OK, have at it. At the end of the day, you're responsible for your own vehicle and passengers. Personally, I would take published load limits as design and engineering data, but that's just me... YMMV.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You and friends will be fine. Be sure and take some video.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dirk - do you have experience with this sort of thing? I think we may likely borrow a trailer for the kayaks and some gear, especially if we can get it for no/low cost...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Four kayaks well loaded (weight evenly and securely distributed) in a quality rack like the Yakima would not worry me even if the total weight got above the 150 lb manufacturers limit. Trying to haul guys and gear will be no problem.

What is the total haul? If you are taking the Alcan Highway to kayak the Arctic ocean I would do more planning. Couple hundred miles mostly pavement, I wouldn't think about it anymore. Load and Go. Don't try and set any land speed records or imitate a BMW commercial in the mountain curves.

Maybe get a tarp for the back so wet gear doesn't get into the carpets too much.

And take pictures for those of us who's major cargo consideration is how many pounds of lost cherrios we need to account for in our GVWR calculations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

think you are probably right - not much concern. Nonetheless, I've got access to a small trailer at no charge to help us out and eliminate any further concerns. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I used a Dodge Shadow and put a Thule rack on it, loaded up with like 3 kayaks and guys and gear, had multiple bikes on top of it, combos of bikes and kayaks, that sort of thing. Gave up whitewater kayaking recently as Houston is not near much whitewater and I was only middling at the talent for it, plus a buddy I know who is very very good and does some pretty extreme stuff has lost two friends back East kayaking (one on a previously unknown undercut rock on upper Gauley). Give me mountain biking or surf kayaking, other sports... But its a blast, just scares the pee out of me doing the bigger stuff.

Oh and your van will handle differently, and REMEMBER not to go through like ATM drive thru and fast food drive through w/o scoping out the clearance. That's where most people screw up. Well, that and not securing the load.

Twist the un-secured part of your straps a turn so they don't flap at speed. Don't put stuff in the kayak and expect it to stay at 70mph. On those long touring boats, use a bow strap and a stern strap so they wont try to come aft or forward in starts/stops and keeps winds from dislodging them. Check at each stop, they can loosen. Tie up the strap ends and tuck away or tie between the rack bars so they are not loose.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
...and REMEMBER not to go through like ATM drive thru and fast food drive through w/o scoping out the clearance. That's where most people screw up. Well, that and not securing the load.

Twist the un-secured part of your straps a turn so they don't flap at speed. Don't put stuff in the kayak and expect it to stay at 70mph. On those long touring boats, use a bow strap and a stern strap so they wont try to come aft or forward in starts/stops and keeps winds from dislodging them. Check at each stop, they can loosen. Tie up the strap ends and tuck away or tie between the rack bars so they are not loose.
D-Daddy, you nailed it down, once again. Essentially, when you load up a van as DD did his Shadow, you now have to give the same care and attention a long-haul trucker does to his rig. Will the load clear? Just look on the web for all the guys who tore their expensive road bikes off the roof after absentmindedly driving into the garage...I could see myself doing that! Yes, check it all at every stop...it's just as critical as a trailer. Tie up the loose ends for your load-securing devices...flapping webbing can remove paint down to the sheet metal.

Everything he says is good stuff. Wish I'd known it before my first "loaded adventure".

OF

1 - 10 of 10 Posts