Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will take off on a 10 day trip to Yellowstone & Mt.Rushmore next Friday with 4 adults and 4 kids in a 2011 Touring with a roof top box. Except for the first day, we will stop driving by 9 PM for a night halt. Will be stopping on the outbound at La Cross, WI and Sheridan WY.

Inbound stops would be Rapid City, SD and Rockford IL.

Got the Ody ready with

• Oil Change
  • Roof Rack
  • Yakima Skybox 21
  • Vulkano & Dish Sling box remote TV players
  • DVD - Both RES (for kids) and seat monitors for adults
  • Wii
  • Netflix :DD
  • iPods, two tablets, two laptops
  • Two mobile WiFi access points - Both AT&T and Verizon
  • Sea bands for any motion sickness problems

Hope all these would help making the long drive enjoyable. We do these trips every year, but this is the longest so far.

I am sure it is a bad idea, but I would like to know if anyone tried making the kids sit/sleep in the 3rd seat area on the floor. I guess this will make it a little comfortable with the long haul but worried about the safety. I am sure it is not safe, but just want to see if it is possible at all.

Appreciate any input in making our trip safe, fun and memorable.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You mean other than illegal. Back in the 70's before even seat belts were in cars we traveled a lot with the kids sleeping on the bed in the back of the van. Today you will probably be in jail before you finish the trip. I'm sure the trip will be memorable. Extremely happy I'm not on it.
Why not just rent a van capable of taking eight people comfortable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate your concern and I certainly don't like jail. I forgot to mention that it is a 8 seater van and all kids are below 10 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I am alive and kicking in NJ, never got an opportunity to explore the jail option. We never really got the trunk area all empty to try our crazy idea anyways.

Actually the trip was awesome. Van drove like a champ with 8 passengers and 200 LBs of cargo on 7% grades. If you have an Odyssey and not driving it to Yellowstone from wherever you live.... you are missing something. Try it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, I am alive and kicking in NJ, never got an opportunity to explore the jail option. We never really got the trunk area all empty to try our crazy idea anyways.

Actually the trip was awesome. Van drove like a champ with 8 passengers and 200 LBs of cargo on 7% grades. If you have an Odyssey and not driving it to Yellowstone from wherever you live.... you are missing something. Try it.
loved reading about this roadtrip! i wish travelling had been that easy when i was younger. i remember some crazy roadtrips with my parents and siblings - i'd say your kids are lucky you chose the odyssey because i certainly wasnt that lucky! thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
67 Posts
You mean other than illegal. Back in the 70's before even seat belts were in cars we traveled a lot with the kids sleeping on the bed in the back of the van. Today you will probably be in jail before you finish the trip. I'm sure the trip will be memorable. Extremely happy I'm not on it.
Why not just rent a van capable of taking eight people comfortable.
I remember back in the early 90's, I slept on the floor of a big GMC van. It was a one way trip from CA to MA.

·
Registered
224 Posts
So funny reading this as we did a very similar trip that I described in a separate thread in this subforum. We left the day after your original post (8/13) and made many of the same stops. I agree that if you own an Odyssey that you really need to fulfill it's namesake at some point during your ownership and take one of these trips around our beautiful nation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi OdyRiderNJ,
Making this trip this summer. Since you're an "expert" on this journey, a few inquiries..... How were your stops in Sheridan and Rapid City? Accommodation recommendations? Any interesting places for the kids to stop along your E-W interstate route? YS: With all the expected RVs there, any maneuvering advantages I should know about as we make our way around the park in the Ody? Did you stay in the park or outside? Glad to here all went well. (may have to keep the skybox idea in the back of my mind:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am glad the question was asked after one year and am sad answering after two years. I am sure by now you have the experience of your own and became an 'expert' by yourself.

We have made so many memories off this trip and I really wish everyone has this experience.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am glad the question was asked after one year and am sad answering after two years. I am sure by now you have the experience of your own and became an 'expert' by yourself.

We have made so many memories off this trip and I really wish everyone has this experience.
Well, we've done several long trips from NJ. Many down to FL and up to Quebec. We've got to reach both ends of Rt 1 in the same year. But the ultimate trip is coming up... Hit the west coast.

We are planning on a 20 day road trip, going thru Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, SF, LA, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, 4 corners and then back. Glad to know we are not the only crazy ones...

Looking back, did you find the need to have both AT&T and Verizon MiFi or would one had been enough?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts