Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an 08 Honda Odyssey with 60k miles. I went and bought new tires. I asked them to do an alignment. They put the van up in the rack and put all this high tech mirror stuff on the wheels.

The tech calls me back and tells me the camber is out on the rear right wheel. He tells me the Honda's do not have an adjustable rod in the rear. He shows me pictures of the parts on the computer. The part for the rear is 110 dollars. Then he tells me some adjustable bolts needed to be replaced in the front, they are $55 each. Add labor and it is around $365.

Has anyone run into this? Why does Honda not have an adjustment for camber?

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Some one needs to make a payment on their boat. I'd run from 'em and NOT go back.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If you don't have any tire wear or handling issues, your van doesn't need an alignment.

FWIW, I haven't had a vehicle that needed an alignment as routine maintenance since about 1984.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
NCPI, sounds like you got taken. Look at your invoice and give us the part numbers. That way we can tell what they did. These adjustment bolts do not wear out. I think that I paid $60 for my last 4-wheel alignment after shock replacement.

That fancy machine has a graphic print out that shows the before and after values. Ask for it. They will probably say that they have erased it -- but it should be in memory.

It is always good practice to save all replaced parts for your inspection.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just broke down and had my lowered '07 EX-L alligned at NTB after 45K. I got the little print out as well. I knew that the van could most likely not be lined up to factory specs without a camber kit. I only asked to get the front as close to factory as possible and to reballance the front wheels as there is also a slight shimmy between 60-65 mph. The tech told me the same story about needing a kit for the rear. Funny thing is I only told him that I wanted a front end allignment only.....
I ended up spending $150 for the alignment and a re-ballance on the front end..I still thought that was expensive enough.:(

In the OP's case, you should NOT need any kind of camber kit for a vehicle with STOCK suspension..

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Was this vehicle in some kind of accident that would have damaged suspension parts? If not, I'd run.....fast.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the same issue on my van (one rear tire out of alignment with no adjustment possible) but this is not causing a drivability issue and there's no easy fix, so the tire shop recommended no action needed. Unless your van has been in an accident or overloaded or something, why would a new rod of the same length as the existing rod fix the problem?
I don't know why it's not adjustable. I guess someone at Honda didn't want to spend the extra money to make that happen.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Like someone else have already said, if you don't have abnormal tire wear or driving issue at the back, then don't worry about it. I just got my Ody 4 wheel aligned for $65. I had to do it because my front toe was out and wore out the outside of my tires. I think you need to worry less for the rear compared to the front. So are you asking after you got this done already or you just got a quote?

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you don't have any tire wear or handling issues, your van doesn't need an alignment.

FWIW, I haven't had a vehicle that needed an alignment as routine maintenance since about 1984.
Agree. The only time I would maybe consider a wheel allignment is after a tie rod replacement. Other than that it is a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Exactly. They only time I've had them done in the last 25+ yrs was in conjunction with collision repair or major front end work. For instance, after the steering rack replacement on our 2001 Windstar. I always cringe at people who insist on "an alignment" out of the blue. Of course most shops are going to 'find' something. They have to pay the bills somehow. You just feel like screaming NOOOOOoooooo!

Joel

·
Registered
412 Posts
So I have an 08 Honda Odyssey with 60k miles. I went and bought new tires. I asked them to do an alignment... Add labor and it is around $365.
:noo: :eek:mg: :dizzy:

Dude, seriously, they saw a nest on the ground when you walked in. I hope you have NOT given your approval and get your van back... as others have correctly mentioned, the outfit you dealt with is trying to take your money.

RUN

:nothappy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts