Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the standpoint of the vehicle, is it ok to fold down the back seats and haul a 400 lb antique stove in our 2009 Ody? Thanks!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about it, I'm not an engineer though. I've seen people haul motorcycles in the back of Odys, however I don't know how much one of them weighs, but it can't be all that far from 400lbs. Also the Ody is an 8 passenger vehicle. I think its safe to say that Honda designed it to hold passengers who weigh at least 100 lbs, so that would make the back two rows alone capable of holding 600 lbs.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I transported 1000 sq. ft. of thick (12mm) laminate flooring (2 trips) in my 2nd gen ody with no issues. Translates to about 1000lbs per trip.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The only thing I might want to be wary of is putting the weight either ontop of or in front of the rear wheels. I would think it would be best to not have the brunt of the load "cantilievered" behind the wheels. And I think it goes without saying that you need to secure it. Otherwise you would have a 400 lb missle in a crash.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You can look at your owners manual for your year and model to get precise cargo capacities, but as a guideline, they assume each belted seating position can hold a "standard" person at 150 lbs. So if you had the 3rd row up, with all three seats filled, it would be rated to carry 450 lbs worth of passengers. Folding the seat down and putting 400 lbs of cargo in there should be easily within the limits. That's especially true if your second row isn't filled to capacity.

The point about securing it is a valid one, of course. I'd be tempted to leave the second row seats in place even if nobody's going to sit there, because they will act as somewhat of a barrier to keep your bulky cargo behind you in case you have to stop suddenly or if you crash.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
400lb is the same weight as 2 heavy-set adults LOL (200 lbs each).

Just place a piece of plywood and you are all good to go.
Just go slow.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
cnn said:
400lb is the same weight as 2 heavy-set adults LOL (200 lbs each).
Hey, I resemble that comment!! Actually, I wish I was "only" 200 lbs....:(

·
Registered
401 Posts
If there's any serious weight, just take it nice and slow. It'd help to have airlifts as well to keep it from bottoming out which is what I had in my previous van.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts