Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive replaced the EGR, sprayed and poked the ports where it mounts. Removed the upper manifold and poked and spayed the holes there, and Purple Powered the upper mani while it was off. And yet the 401 EGR code still returns. My 2000 has just turned 180,000 and was feeling strong until this EGR thing started up, any hints on what I should check next?
Also I went by the stealership to pick up my special order steering rack bushings, can this be done with the rack in the van or do I have to yank the hole thing to press those bushings in?
Thanx in advance for any help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replaced plugs, runs much better but code returns. Today I found that when in Park the engine won't rev above 5000 rpm,it sound as if its bouncing off a rev limiter. Any hints on what to check next?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Replaced plugs, runs much better but code returns. Today I found that when in Park the engine won't rev above 5000 rpm,it sound as if its bouncing off a rev limiter. Any hints on what to check next?
That is normal. Why rev past 5K in park?
For the EGR code, it is possible the passage is plugged at the base of the EGR to UIM. Remove the EGR and upper plenum. Can you blast air through the passage? You may need to remove the lower intake manifold and clean tha out where it goes to the EGR passage.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Copy of a Tech tip on Mitchel Online

If you work on vehicles long enough you are likely to encounter one of these in your shop with a P0401. Its also likely you will discover that the EGR passages are clogged up. First begin by disconnecting the EGR valve connector and with the engine running supply power to pin #4 of EGR Valve and a ground to pin #6 of EGR valve. The engine should stall immediately. If not remove the EGR valve and verify it is opening when you put power to it.. If it is, its time to remove the upper intake and water crossover. Now according to TSB #05-026 released by Honda they only remove the upper plenum. I found it to be much more thorough to remove the water crossover that way you can make sure you get all of the carbon. Besides these vehicles are usually leaking water there, so its a good time to "kill two birds with one rock" if you know what I mean. The "EGR Kit" Honda sells is a bargain when you are doing this job because it comes with a new EGR valve all the gaskets you need (except water crossover) and the new "EGR pipe" if your upper plenum does not have one installed. And its less money that just buying the EGR valve. Go figure. The pictures say more than the words so have a look at them for more explanation. Good Luck!!
---Eric O.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts