Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked the oil in my 07 the other day. Needed to add a quart. Am I the only one who thinks they could have put a bit more room to put oil in the crankcase? I had to get a funnel and it was wedged in there. Then I went to put the cap back on and fumbled the cap. (big hands). It fell down into the engine. AFter a bit of searching, I finally saw where it came to rest halfway down the block. Reached in and ended up knocking it even further down. This time it lodged between the catalytic converter and the fwd engine mount. And the O2 sensor was keeping it from falling all the way down. No where to go but back up between the mount and the exhaust.

So, had to jack the van up. My wife used a pair of long screwdrivers like chopsticks to push it up enough for me to get a hold of from the top. (After I removed the fwd cowling abovve the grill to get a bit more room.) AFter I put it all back together it only took about 45 minutes!

Good grief. Being an engineer, I hate it when they don't design things to be maintained. I got back into doing my own maintenance when I got my G35. But it looks to me like they really didn't design the Odyssey for easy maintenance. Even the simplest checking oil or changing oil seems to be much more difficult than necessary.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought our 07 in the spring of 07 and have performed every oil change myself. I've never had an issue with the oil cap. Don't know what to tell ya.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Maybe you need a plastic tie attached to your oil cap....kinda like they have on the gas cap to keep people from forgetting to put that back on!

:stupid: :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
I feel for you as I have done similar things (a 6 hours, 350$ in normally not required parts, DIY timing belt change on a Subaru comes to mind...), but the time you lost was mostly due to you dropping the cap. Nothing Honda can do about that... ;-)

If you want to talk about sadistic engineers, let's talk W123 MB turbo diesels... :)

Nicolas

·
Registered
313 Posts
Having regularly changed oil in at least 20 different cars in the my life, I know exactly what the OP is talking about.

The oil fill hole is in an awkward position on the ody compared to any other vehicle I have ever changed oil on. It could have been made less awkward (proof is in the 1000's of other vehicles where it is less awkward).

The awkward position help in him losing the cap.

I am just glad the oil filter is more accessible on the ody than it was on the older accords.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
It's not easy to reach the filler cap. I bought a special funnel for the ody. Smaller than typical but with a longer spout. Haven't dropped the cap but that would suck. You have to squeeze your hand down in there at just the right angle. With the right tools the Ody is one of the easier vehicles I've changed oil. I just did my Pathfinder tonight and with the steel skid plates it's a real PITA.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I agree.

It is easy to lose the oil cap in my 2007 Ody. It is kind of dumb design. Also, it is way down and difficult to add oil w/o a funnel!

In my 1998 Volvo V70 and 1998 BMW 528i, the oil cap is right on the top, very easy to add oil. No need for funnel!

Honda engineers could have moved the cap to a higher position.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree, the oil cap on the 2000 Ody is a little better than the 2009 Ody that I also have. Maybe the japanesse have smaller hands than us Americans.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
You ought to try sitting in some of their armored vehicles.:D

I know this is WAY off topic, but I'd swear that JSDF 155mm tracked mobile artillery I tried on for size was built around guys who were 5'8" or less. I felt cramped, and wasn't even wearing chem gear.

Back on topic, and ignoring Jamieson's first-ever post (on the first day he registered, w/o any info to show he even owns an Ody in his profile), based on that design philogophy, one can see where a lot of things in the engine bay weren't built around being friendly to a 6'2" 220-lb. guy with hands suitable for bucking bags of barley.

Small price to pay for something that you can be happy with the other 99% of the time.

OF

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm embarassed to admit that I actually lost the oil cap on my wife's 06. I dropped it and after half an hour gave up after not being able to find it. Ran up to one of the local chains and brought a universal replacement cap. Found the old one a week later - it rolled off the driveway into the landscape bed under a bush.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts