Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,856 Posts
4th Gen - Backup camera while driving, possible?
What for? Focus your attention on the things you're moving towards. There's no chance that you will hit something behind you when you're driving forward.

A rear-mounted dashcam is far easier and effective at getting you a good look at the broad picture unfolding behind you. And if anything unfortunate should happen to occur, you have an HD recording of it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No need EVER to see the rear traffic when you are driving forward? Are you kidding me?
Sorry to mention that I have an aftermarket 20" LCD installed and my rearview mirror can no longer be used so it will be helpful if I can see the rear traffic while I am driving FORWARD.

·
Registered
176 Posts
No need EVER to see the rear traffic when you are driving forward? Are you kidding me?
Sorry to mention that I have an aftermarket 20" LCD installed and my rearview mirror can no longer be used so it will be helpful if I can see the rear traffic while I am driving FORWARD.
I think he answered the question you meant to ask. you meant rear facing camera as you stated as back up camera only sees a few feet max angled down.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,856 Posts
Nope - not kidding at all. There are millions of panel vans on the streets with no back windows to see through at all. They seem to do just fine.

I stand by my original post. Your backup camera is technically incapable of replacing what the rear-view mirror does. It is pointed down at the ground and only shows you about 10 feet from the bumper. If you want a camera that will replace what the rear-view mirror does, it will have to be a rear-facing dash cam. There is no practical need that is served by activating the OEM backup camera while you're driving forward.

I'm guessing you're talking about the backup camera because you'd love to be able to use the big display in the middle of the dash that the backup camera uses to see everything behind you. I believe it is technically possible to tap into the input for that screen because I seem to remember reading through some threads about that. You'd have to throw some money, effort and time at that kind of a project. But if you're the sort who is installing 20" LCD monitors into your minivan, you're probably also the sort who's not intimidated by that kind of a project. I'll wish you the best of luck.

You might consider searching through the audio/video threads for people who want to mirror their phones or DVD players onto that large display. They would be able to describe for you how to get a rear-facing dashcam to display onto that screen.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I drive one of those panel vans that has no rear/side windows, and, as much as I rely on my backup camera to... you know... back up, and, as much as I would give hard currency to have my backup camera 'always on' (especially as, in the T350, it displays on the rearview mirror - which is exceptionally convenient), Cromath is right that the angle is all wrong for proper perspective for driving - it will get you in trouble because the camera's focus is on what is immediately behind you (in both the Ody, and the Transit), by two car lengths things are getting fuzzy, and by 4 you can barely tell what is displayed... That misperception is going to get you in real trouble real fast...

If your rear view mirror is completely blocked by a ceiling mounted 20" display (*facepalm*), as cromath suggests, get a driving camera with two pickups, there are numerous units that have a builtin forward facing and a remote (for rear or any other direction) camera, and put the display in front of your (now useless *rolling eyes*) rear view mirror. That's going to vastly outperform the backup camera, and ​ be cheaper.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If anyone else knows how to activate the backup camera on the info screen, please chime in with your helpful info. I did it in my wife's prius by tapping two wires to a toggle switch to simulate shifting to backup. I think it could be done for Gen 3 but I could not find any info for gen 4 ody.

Sorry, I am not interested in why I should not do it.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,856 Posts
I apologize - I was operating under the assumption that the quality of the result mattered. It obviously doesn't.

I also do not have the technical information you're looking for, so I will refrain from any further contributions here, but I will reiterate my suggestion that the audio/video section of this forum would probably be your best bet.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Something else to consider is that when your infotainment system thinks you are in reverse (and provides power to, and receives data from the camera), it locks you out of control of the audio system. When in reverse, you cannot (or at least I cannot, in my '14) change the station, volume, input, or turn on the radio. The only thing I can do is, if the radio/audio is on, turn it off. Perhaps this isn't the case w/ vehicles w/ RES, or other audio options, but it's a potential limitation to consider.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.