Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to get 5-1/4" speakers in the rear location?

I don't mind a little alteration behind the grill. Just as long as the modification is not evident when the grill is in place

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi
Leather Interior, Wings West Kit and lots of other mods.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I was gonna try it, I even bought the 5 1/2" speakers. When I held them up in the space provided to see if they would fit, it looked really iffy, maybe a 50% chance of success. I'd have had to cut a lot of the panel and if it didn't work out I wouldn't have been able to put the originals back in and the panel would have been ruined. It seemed like too expensive a chance to take.

Let us know what you decide.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I had a post awhile back that would answer your question.
Unfortunately I learned the hard way by installing Pyle 5.25 speakers in the rear. Lots of trimming and cutting to do PLUS you will need to stay clear of the seatbelt mechanism.My right side seatbelt wasn't detracting and I was wondering why. Figured out it was the magnet of my Pyles. I had to put a piece of foam in between.Also had to trim the grills.
I suggest to stick to the 4"s or find a different location.

------------------
Rob/'01 GG LX
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4292654815

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was successful at installing some Infinity Coaxials in the rear with no major hangups. You'll have to do a lot of trimming but nothing beyond what the grill can hide. Trim a little at a time and only trim what the speaker frame contacts. Be careful not to trim away the areas where the Honda grill clips into or it may never stay on securely again. The tweeters on the Infinities protrude from the speaker frame about 1/8th of an inch and I can see a bulge in the factory grill when I snap it back in place. I only noticed it because I knew the speaker was pressing up against the grill. I suggest finding speakers which either have a low sitting or flush tweeter.
In my opinion, I don't think you'll get much more sound (especially low end) from the 5-1/4 speakers than you would with 4" speakers unless you added an amp to them. The highs from the rear speakers a buried behind my 2nd row seats. They do sound very nice if you were sitting in the 3rd row though. Some stealthly mounted flush tweeters in the rear upper interior panels would probably sound a lot nicer for everyone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It seems to me a component setup would be a lot nicer in the rear. You can flush-mount the tweeters up high so your passengers can enjoy the treble, not just the back of the 3rd-row seat.

------------------
2000 EBP Civic Si - AEM cold air intake, Suspension Techniques 19mm rear sway

soon to add a 2001 SS Ody LX!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts