Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A member of "The 500 Mile Club" is an Ody owner who can put 500 miles on one tank of fuel.

Ok, so I'm guessing this is going to be a fairly small club. To join the 500 mile club, those of us '05 and '06 model members are going to have to achieve 25 mpg, and use 20 of 21 gallons.

I'm not sure if the previous model Ody's have a 21 gallon tank or not. If their tank is smaller, they will of course have a bigger hurdle in order to join the club.

Our pucker factor to use 20 gallons or more is going to be pretty high.

But I can tell you that with my wife driving around town, that she puts about 460 miles on one of my topped off tanks. ;) Just the last time we filled up, the trip meter read 487 miles. I'm looking at the receipt and I squeezed in 22.726 gallons, for a 21.4 mpg around town.

So really, it looks like I could join the club if I could get 22 mpg, because I'm able to use more than 21 gallons!

So far, we haven't joined this club yet. :D We've gotten close though. But I would image if we took a road trip, we could join it fairly easily.

Who's going to be the charter member of the 500 mile club?

- JyRO

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
We've usually got the warning light blasting at 350 miles but the thing rarely takes on more than 18 gallons. Either my tank won't take on fuel properly or the guage is goofy.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
JyRo - does your Ody have wing tanks ? :D

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have achieved this twice with 810km and 807km between fills, that's 503 and 501 miles. No secret, just mostly highway at a steady 115KPH or so. Helps that my wife was asleep each time, she panics when the low fuel light comes on whereas I know that it's still good for nearly 200 km. Each time the tank took between 73 and 74 litres to fill it, so in theory I might have managed another 20-25 km, but I don't have nerves of steel.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Just put a 5 gallon can of gas in the back, just in case you run out....

Now to find a FLAT piece of highway with two gas statations EXACTLY 500 miles apart... set the cruse and earn some bragging rights.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grand Total said:
I have achieved this twice with 810km and 807km between fills, that's 503 and 501 miles. No secret, just mostly highway at a steady 115KPH or so. Helps that my wife was asleep each time, she panics when the low fuel light comes on whereas I know that it's still good for nearly 200 km. Each time the tank took between 73 and 74 litres to fill it, so in theory I might have managed another 20-25 km, but I don't have nerves of steel.
Sorry Grand Total - That doesn't count. You're disqualified! Us 'mericans don't know about the killermeters. Just kidding! ;) Actually, that's around 25.8 miles per gallon. Perdy good!

- JyRO

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wife turbulence...

If I could just get my wife to agree to take a trip to my parent's house, I could join up in this club. But my wife is like Debra Barone, and my parents are the average of Frank & Marie Barone -AND- Frank & Estelle Costanza.

Suffice it to say, my wife doesn't usually love visiting. So that leaves me trying it on a trip to the in-laws. I guess I will never join the club. :D

- JyRO

·
Registered
180 Posts
Are you kidding? I usually get 300-330 per tank. Of course, I rarely drive on the highway.

But I will try it this summer during our trip to Atlanta, 640 miles or so each way.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
JyRO said:
Sorry Grand Total - That doesn't count. You're disqualified! Us 'mericans don't know about the killermeters. Just kidding! ;) Actually, that's around 25.8 miles per gallon. Perdy good!

- JyRO
Have checked my actual numbers and it was 810km using 73.107 litres which I calculate to be 26.06 MPG. As you say, pretty good. I remember it well, I'd have liked to push it a little further but the last (only) time I ran out of fuel (diesel that time) we were going for a cross (English) channel ferry and my wife was none too pleased with me, even though the gods were smiling on me and I only had to walk a mile to the nearest gas station. Fortunately that car had self-priming injectors (otherwise we could have been in trouble) and we caught the ferry anyway. But I'm still not allowed to forget it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
C'mon Wild Willy, where are you? We know you're a secret member of the 500 mile club!:D

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
markr33 said:
Are you kidding? I usually get 300-330 per tank. Of course, I rarely drive on the highway.

But I will try it this summer during our trip to Atlanta, 640 miles or so each way.

Mark - I know I'm a numb-skull for doing this, but I'll stand at the pump for 10 minutes after the pump clicks off and top off the thank. :stupid: I can get like 3 gallons or more in there after the click.

Some people will freak and start talking about gas in the charcoal cannister, but every car I have owned would've had this problem if it were possible. I am a design engineer for an OEM ... my design educated experience tells me that the engineers who have design these systems have long since figured out how to keep the fuel out of the charcoal cannisters.

Anywho, take some time to really get'er full. And then drive it until the light comes on. You should be able to join the 400 mile club easily.

- JyRO

·
Registered
180 Posts
JyRO said:
Mark - I know I'm a numb-skull for doing this, but I'll stand at the pump for 10 minutes after the pump clicks off and top off the thank. :stupid: I can get like 3 gallons or more in there after the click.
- JyRO
I also top off my tank regularly. But I've kept a spreadsheet of every tank and after 6867 miles, I've used 415.899 gallons, for a mileage rating of about 16.5 miles per gallon (by the way, that is about a years worth of driving for me). I almost never drive on the highway and I generally do drive with a light foot. I tried one tank with a heavy foot and got 14.6 miles per gallon out of that tank. I play the silly ECO game (trying to keep that little ECO light on as much as possible :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
This reminds me of a certin Seinfield episode.

Don't forget to hold hands with your wife as you squeeze the last drops out of the tank.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
JyRO..A numb-skull? Well at least he lives in the back woods where topping off your tank isn't illegal. :D

Now Wild Willy could never get into this, as you all know, the Ody makes him limp:eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was mistaken, it wasn't 480 it was 453.6 but only put in 18.42 gallons, 24.624MPG. So I would say I could reach 500 no problem.
I'll be driving to Indiana this week, I'll let you know how I do.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
500-mile club

I would surely qualify if I could extrapolate a full tank rather than filling up with 1/4 left. Just yesterday I drove 710 km (447 mi) on 59 liters (15.6 US gallons) for an average of 28.6 US mpg. For anyone familiar with this part of the country, that was from Casselman, Ontario to Rimouski, Quebec. It was cold so no AC. It was rainy so speed was limited to about 65 mph. I was worried the gas guage was reading high, as I have done this trip before and had to fillup before that. One change I made before the trip was to install Bosch Platinum+4 spark plugs. The engine ran noticeably smoother after that.

- Dave

·
Registered
426 Posts
Fortunately you can join the 500 mile club with a 2nd gen Ody too. During one of our trips we came back from Connecticut. On the way to Chicago (I-80, only slight head winds) I achieved 28.8 mpg (18.1 gallons after 522 miles). We managed to cover the total distance (close to 900 miles) in about 15 hours (including some stops to eat, stretch and let the dog out...).

I would love to do the same trip in an 05/06 with VCM :D

·
Registered
257 Posts
zoti said:
This reminds me of a certin Seinfield episode.
Is that the one where they drove that car from the dealership? Gives me an idea to try when I test drive a new car... see how long we can drive below the "E", with the sales person next to me!

Anyway, we're planning to go up to Seattle this summer, if everything goes well, and we'll see if joining the 500 mile club is indeed possible.

1 - 20 of 278 Posts