Honda Odyssey Forum banner

181 - 200 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
sixtn39 said:
And, if the mpg for the Ody is a couple of mpg less I still find it remarkable, if comparing that to the SLK.
In my experience it's more like 4-6 MPG difference.

I can't say I am a fuel economy expert - but getting 709 miles out of my 12.4 gallon tank Civic is quite an accomplishment. That's irrelevant here though I guess...

My observed difference in FE between the SLK and Odyssey range an average of 15-18MPG overall vs 21-24 overall. IMHO, that's a huge real world difference. Our 2006 Ody had an EPA rating of 20/28 - actually higher than the SLK.

I guess the bottom line is that the Odyssey driveline is EXTREMELY optimized to the EPA testing procedure which, in my experience, does not acutally translate into real world FE. The updated 2008 ratings reflect these differences even less - 17/24 for the Ody and 18/24 for the SLK. The Ody consumes at least 25% more fuel driven in a similar manner and though I would CERTAINLY expect it to. I am just stating that the EPA #s are not nearly reflective of real world #s; unknowing consumers would (should?) expect the Ody's EPA #'s to be closer to reality.

I think I can manage a 500+ mile tank when our family drives down to Disney later this year, and after I accomplish that I will post that update in this thread...

·
Registered
493 Posts
How are the SLK and an Odyssey comparable vehicles?? :confused:

·
Registered
684 Posts
bluestars80 said:
How are the SLK and an Odyssey comparable vehicles?? :confused:
I apologize if I implied they were; I was only trying to reference the actual fuel economy vs EPA rated fuel economy.

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

500 mile club, who's in? :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Almost in the club

I was on my way to the 500 mile club, but ran out of road ... arrived home.

Couple of weeks ago I left the wife and kids in Cleveland and drove back by myself to MD. It was early in the morning about 70 degrees and with minimal stops just for tolls, no A/C and set cruise control to 72 mph. After nonstop driving for 355 miles I filled up with 12.6 gallons. That's about 28 MPG. I realize it was not normal driving but I was amazed at the gas mileage.

I only have 9k miles on almost a two year old van. We usually don't drive too far beyond the DC beltway and hence our gas mileage up until now had been 16-20 mpg. I guess the engine is finally broken in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
2007 EX-L purchased November 2006.

Had my first chance to join the 500 mile club over the past two weeks on our trip from Ohio to the Grand Canyon. It was much easier than I expected.

On the days we were strictly driving highway I easily averaged over 27mpg-- which is pretty good considering much of the time we were driving 80mph.

I got 500+ miles per tank a few different times. Typically the low fuel light was coming on around 485 miles so I was never worried about running out of gas. I'd usually stop around 500-515 miles and would typically put in 18 - 18.5 gallons.

I think 600 miles would be very doable if I kept the speed down to 65mph or so and topped off.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
steelersfan - 600 miles is not *easily* done, but I have done it. :stupid: I think it's buried back in this thread somewhere.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I never said it was "easy". Just that it was 'very doable'. :D Partially based on the fact I remember you saying you had done it and partially on my recent experience.

If I topped off and could then safely use 21 gallons with the extra top off as reserve, all I'd need to do was increase my mileage by 1mph (from about 27.5 to about 28.5). Considering I was getting 27 doing nearly 80 I imagine slowing down to 60-65 would get me that extra 1mph. Thing is, there's no way in ^$#% I'm driving 600 miles at that speed. :D So I'll never find out. ;)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
steelersfan said:
I never said it was "easy". Just that it was 'very doable'. :D Partially based on the fact I remember you saying you had done it and partially on my recent experience.

If I topped off and could then safely use 21 gallons with the extra top off as reserve, all I'd need to do was increase my mileage by 1mph (from about 27.5 to about 28.5). Considering I was getting 27 doing nearly 80 I imagine slowing down to 60-65 would get me that extra 1mph. Thing is, there's no way in ^$#% I'm driving 600 miles at that speed. :D So I'll never find out. ;)
No, I think you're right. I think the way I did it was hard. I chose 2 lane back roads, through towns, with steep hills. I think a run on the interstate (at 65 or so) would have been better, and made 600 miles easier.

I have filled to 22.6 or 23.6 gallons or so (and have had "discussions" over whether I actually did or not on here) can't remember which one off hand. So say you played it safe and used 21.0 gallons. Your math is right. I think that would be tough to get 28.5 mpg even if you had the discipline to go that slow for that long.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Alas, I'm still trying to join the 400 mile club. Even with extended highway driving on vacation this weekend I couldn't break 400 miles. I really hate this 10% ethanol junk we have to use around here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
could have joined...

we recently took I-35 all the way to Minnesota and back......pretty much all highway......had 1658 miles in 59 gallons of gasoline......for around a 27.8 avg.......unfortunately we filled up about every bathroom break so i never got to empty the tank.

S

·
Registered
18 Posts
I made it! Our 32nd tank full. Santa Fe, NM to Evans CO. I-25. July 22nd. Cruise Set at 77. 4 people with "trunk" loaded. Had to drive around town for a couple of days before I hit the 500.40 mile mark. :) My better half kept asking me why I had to get to 500. I finally told her about the Odyssey 500 MPT (miles per tank) club. She thinks I'm nuts. MPG was 25.24. I think I can get 28 if I hold the MPH at 70 on the Interstate. No road trip planned in the near future to test my theory.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Re: could have joined...

scottd72 said:
we recently took I-35 all the way to Minnesota and back......pretty much all highway......had 1658 miles in 59 gallons of gasoline......for around a 27.8 avg.......unfortunately we filled up about every bathroom break so i never got to empty the tank.

S
Did you drive on the bridge that collapsed??

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeah that could have been a new thread

thanks for asking, we went over that bridge 4 times......at the time i thought that the riskiest things we did was canoe on lake superior, climb rocks around waterfalls, or sit around a fire pit with my 5 yr. old lighting sticks in the fire and whatnot - turns out the bridge was a little more than unsafe...

everytime we went over that bridge i did my best clark griswold impression - "hey kids we're going over the mississippi river!....the mighty mississippi......the old miss...." NO RESPONSE....they just kept staring at their dvd's and nintendo ds's......oh well.......

Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess I'm in this club.

I got 500+ miles on a long trip from Missouri to Dallas, TX in 2005. One long shot there, and again on the long shot back, but zero city driving at the time.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'm IN

Over seven years and 2 Odysseys later, I'm finally in. Been close a few times, but chickened out at the last minute with the wife and kids in back and a "29 miles to next services" type of warning just before 500 only to find I had well more than enough fuel left to make it.

This time, we were in a metro area with friends nearby and I knew there was room to spare. 501.1 miles from the Cheyenne, WY area to the Omaha, NE area. About 95% of the tank was cruising on I-80 averaging over 75 mph (usually 78-79mph). There were a few short stretches of construction with slowdowns to 55. The rest was in town with maybe 10 mins of idling in a drive through. A/C was on most of the trip. There was a tail wind but it was minimal. Fuel was Sinclair 87 octane.

I filled up with 19. 106 gallons from the previous fillup. That's 26.23 mpg which was pretty typical for highway sections of our trip. The best highway tank was also a personal record at 28.71 mpg (no A/C, lower speed limits in IL and WI). The worst was 24.58 in Iowa (not sure why it was lower). The rest were all between 26-27mpg, also typical of previous trips.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Soon to going the 500+

Hope to join the club today. Just drove down to Ottawa from Toronto..

Cruise set at 110 KPH and took all highway (401 and 416)
At that speed I didn't disingage the cruise the whole way...
Tires set to 40 PSI
New air filter
A/C was on..

Getting here was a distance of 459 KM's and the scanguage indicated a Trip consumption of 7.6 L/100KM.. (35 litres used)
That works out to 37.4MPG (IMP) or 31.1 (US)...
And the fuel gauge is just approaching the 1/2 way point.

Will be heading back today so only should have no probelms hitting 500miles.. Might even be brave enough to go all the way back for a total of 570 which if the fuel consumption is the same would leave me with 6 litres left when I get home... Guess it depends on how much I trust the scanguage and its litres to empty display...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Re: Soon to going the 500+

bbylon5 said:
Hope to join the club today. Just drove down to Ottawa from Toronto..
I've done this trip many times but with one crucial difference - I usually end up driving 200 - 300 km in Ottawa and environs. If I could just drive there and then drive back I'm almost sure that I could do it on a single (not topped-off) tank. My one-way distance is 47x km so I'm fairly sure with your 459km one way distance you should manage it, especially given the lack of construction at the moment. The only other problem you may face today is a fairly strong headwind on the 401. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I'm in....

Grand Total said:
I've done this trip many times but with one crucial difference - I usually end up driving 200 - 300 km in Ottawa and environs. If I could just drive there and then drive back I'm almost sure that I could do it on a single (not topped-off) tank. My one-way distance is 47x km so I'm fairly sure with your 459km one way distance you should manage it, especially given the lack of construction at the moment. The only other problem you may face today is a fairly strong headwind on the 401. Good luck.
Made it 810 KM's (503) miles before I chickened out and pull off the highway for gas.

Scanguage indicated 9.2 litres left at that point.. and the low fuel light had been on for about 100km's...

Filled up the tank but didn't reset the scangauge so it was still counting down.. Read 0.0 litres remaining at 917 KM's (569 miles)..

You were very right about the headwind. Going down I averaged 7.6L/100KM, on the way back this jumped to 9.2 on exactly the same route...

Without the headwind and being a little braver I could have made 600 miles on the tank..

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Two time member

Broke my old records for miles travelled and mpg on one tank, 546.4 miles and 29.78 mpg, respectively. I should have gone the rest of the way at 60mph and turned the A/C off so I could probably have hit 580 miles & 30 mpg. If only I had known there was no traffic in the big construction zone before my exit...

http://carseatblog.com/?p=63

caviller said:
Over seven years and 2 Odysseys later, I'm finally in. Been close a few times, but chickened out at the last minute with the wife and kids in back and a "29 miles to next services" type of warning just before 500 only to find I had well more than enough fuel left to make it.

This time, we were in a metro area with friends nearby and I knew there was room to spare. 501.1 miles from the Cheyenne, WY area to the Omaha, NE area. About 95% of the tank was cruising on I-80 averaging over 75 mph (usually 78-79mph). There were a few short stretches of construction with slowdowns to 55. The rest was in town with maybe 10 mins of idling in a drive through. A/C was on most of the trip. There was a tail wind but it was minimal. Fuel was Sinclair 87 octane.

I filled up with 19. 106 gallons from the previous fillup. That's 26.23 mpg which was pretty typical for highway sections of our trip. The best highway tank was also a personal record at 28.71 mpg (no A/C, lower speed limits in IL and WI). The worst was 24.58 in Iowa (not sure why it was lower). The rest were all between 26-27mpg, also typical of previous trips.

181 - 200 of 278 Posts