Honda Odyssey Forum banner

201 - 220 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
rejoined...

Just did 502 miles. Cruise control set at 80 mph most of the way from Montgomery AL to Conway AR. 22.5 gallons, 21.6 mpg. Then drove another 160 miles to Branson, MO.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I made it in April '09. Averaged 32 mpg on two consectutive stretches of our trip. We had a strong tailwind going through TX and OK. At 300 miles I still had over a half tank of fuel left. Our "normal" highway mileage is 24-27 mpg.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
You're a candidate for the 600 mile club. The thread exists. I'm not sure if I'm the only member or if someone else joined by now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
At first I don't believed that you can get 500 mile until when I reached 439 mile today with 2 miles remaining as indicated on the "RANGE" menu before fill-up my tank with fresh gas. I paid for about 19.2 gallons. So maybe I will be joining this club soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just made our first big trip in or 07 Ody we went from IN to California and back. With the driving out in Cali we put almost 5000 miles on the Odometer. When driving on the Interstate we got 400 + tanks the whole way. Driving in LA traffic though we didn't get close to that. I did get one 500 mile tank Woot!!! When I filled it up with top off it was 19.075 gallons which comes out to be 26.2 MPG. My tires were at 40psi all around. And we had four adults with all of our luggage for a two week trip which all together added about 900 pounds to the van we drove only on the Interstate at 75mph the whole way. It wasn't the best gas mileage for the trip (which was 27.6) but was the one time we had plenty of gas stations ahead of us to get all the way to 500 without worrying about getting stuck between towns without gas. I hope if we are not trying to get somewhere fast, that I can drop down to 65 and squeeze out 550 miles in one tank.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
You're a candidate for the 600 mile club. The thread exists. I'm not sure if I'm the only member or if someone else joined by now.
I got close this last weekend. SW OK, across the top of TX, and halfway into northern NM. Using 87 octane, I overfilled by just over 2 gallons before heading out.

As the needle hit the halfway mark on the gas gauge, I was strolling past 350 miles. Looked promising! Then, I had to spend about 45 minutes climbing the southern Rockies into Red River, NM (annual family ski trip), with a lot of time spent in 3rd gear. :nothappy: Add a couple days of mosying around town at 10-15 mph (snow and ice) before negotiating the mountains again on the way home, and I made 520 miles at fillup time. All that mountain driving wrecked my "fuel G.P.A." :frown:

The fuel nozzle shut off at just over 16-1/2 gallons. I had about 3-1/2 gallons left...glad I didn't try to "see the bottom of the fuel tank", but if I didn't have my wife & 4 kids on board, I would have given it a go, as we didn't have much mountain driving left before getting onto more level highways, and I could have thrown in some hypermiling to make it happen. I mentioned it just once, but the wifey-pooh said "No way! Get gas now!"

Maybe 600 on the next trip! :DD

OF

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
31.5 Mpg? Very interesting........And hard to believe......But, anything is possible....if I can get 9mpg

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
31.5 Mpg? Very interesting........And hard to believe......But, anything is possible....if I can get 9mpg
WW, your wife has beaten your manly math skills out of your noggin! :DD

Shutoff at ~16.5 gallons.

Overfilled by ~2 gallons before going out on that run. Now, add the two together to get the total fuel burned for this family ski vacation road trip.

That yields ~18.5 gallons over 520 miles, or about 28 mpg.

I've broken into the magic 30 mpg driving at only 55 mph on flat terrain with no other traffic on an extended stretch of divided country highway, paying attention to throttle angle as much as I could, but that is not the way I usually ever get to burn an entire tank of gas. It doesn't take much to get knocked back into the 20's with this big beast.

I'm hanging on about 470 miles right now (low fuel light illuminated), which is a combination of mostly road trip return-to-home miles with a mid-trip divert into Amarillo around the city for shopping. I should be able to easily top 500 miles yet again (2 consecutive tanks) even though the rest of the miles will be all city.

OF

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I thought you put 16.5 Gallons in...You were able to squeeze 2 more gallons in there when you filled it up? That is a lot of gas and not good for the canister.

So you overfilled by 2 gallons when you left and then you overfilled by 2 gallons when you filled up after the trip? That would be the only way to get an accurate read.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Doesn't effect the cannister ... unless you're a hypochondriac, and then its destroyed the first drop added after the click.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Doesn't effect the cannister ... unless you're a hypochondriac, and then its destroyed the first drop added after the click.
This is true. We had a guy on the forum who designed OEM emissions control systems related to fuel tank vapor containment, and he said topping off (as in, all the way to the top) would not hurt a modern OEM system.

I've owned cars where the canisters were clearly located below the high level mark of the installed fuel tank at normal nozzle shutoff. No problems.

I thought you put 16.5 Gallons in...You were able to squeeze 2 more gallons in there when you filled it up?
Yup. I once got 3-1/2 gallons in past shutoff. If you take a look at where the filler tube routes into the tank, there is the potential for a lot of air space (called "ullage" [you-lij]...there's your geek word for the day).

So you overfilled by 2 gallons when you left and then you overfilled by 2 gallons when you filled up after the trip? That would be the only way to get an accurate read.
You're on the right track. The key is to note how much you overfilled when it shutoff, and make sure the vehicle is level every time you fill up. If it's pointed a tiny bit downhill or leaning slightly to the right, this will affect how much it receives before shutoff (it will take a little more fuel). Overfilling the same amount is not nearly as important as maintaining the same level stance each time you fill up.

Let's say you drive into the gas station. Do this:
1. Note how much you filled up at shutoff.
2. Now, note how much you overfill (if you decide to be patient and do it).
3. Now drive.
4. At the end of the drive, fill to shutoff.
5. Add the previous overfill to that last fillup figure. That's your figure for fuel consumed; divide into miles or km's driven.

It is not important to make sure you overfill the same amount on each and every tank of gas. It is important to note the amount of overfill past shutoff, and apply that to the next fillup quantity to get a correct fuel burn.

OF

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Odyfamily--

I see one potential hitch in your method. Unless you use the same exact pump.....not all fill to the same level and some are much more sensitive than others. The station I go to, there are several pumps I avoid because the constantly shut off during the filling process.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Odyfamily--

I see one potential hitch in your method. Unless you use the same exact pump.....not all fill to the same level and some are much more sensitive than others.....
Yes, potential inaccuracy here, but it's pretty slight. I've done this at untold number of stations over the life of the van, and if I fill up immediately after the low fuel light illuminates (while driving, on level ground), it always works out to 15 gallons for my 2003 (plus or minus a tenth-and-a-half, or less). This assumes a level stance. For a properly operating pump, once the ullage gets to the top of the fill pipe where it joins the tank, you can have a pretty high variance in flow rates, and it has still always worked out to close to 15 gallons.

The biggest potential accuracy issue I've observed is the stance of the van while fueling, much more so than how fast a nozzle pushes out fuel. If a pump doesn't shut off repeatedly during the fill, I haven't had a problem yet with it "underfilling" and skewing the math...if it did, I couldn't repeatedly get these kinds of results (close to, or greater than 500 miles) in terms of distance travelled per tank, year after year after year, with different gas stations during our annual family road trips into the Rockies.

If you get one of those "too sensitive" (my words) pumps that never wants to keep running at full steam while fueling, you can't even attempt to top off anyways with that equipment. Just quit and go. All that means, at least for me, is that I won't get an extra 50 or more (or much more) miles out of that tank. Like JyRO, I just do this to see how far I can go, and 4 kids plus a week's worth of ski stuff crowded around us in our Ody makes many rest stops a mandatory deal anyways.

So far, JyRO is the king of biting the ol' upper lip while watching the needle drop over the "E" on the gas gauge, and making big numbers on the odometer.

OF

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Thanks for the words OF. I think there might be one other member of the 600 mile club. But I am the type of personality the if I want to do something, I'm going to find a way to get it done. :)

I joined the 600 mile club with my Corolla too! It can't hold much more than about 14 gallons or so. It required 44 mpg.

JyRO

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Thanks for the words OF. I think there might be one other member of the 600 mile club. But I am the type of personality the if I want to do something, I'm going to find a way to get it done. :)
You are definitely the man on this one. I'm waiting for the proper road trip circumstances to try this again. Over the last few days of entirely city driving, using the "leftovers" from my last road-trip tank of gas (E10 fuel from Shamrock, IIRC, in New Mexico), I edged past 500 miles again.

We'll see if I can become a "card carrying member" of the 600 mile club in the future.

OF

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Be prepared for seat cover wrinkling from extreme levels of pucker factor. :D It comes with the territory...

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Well, I just filled this morning.....Got 156 miles when light came on. Fulled with 15 Gallons exactly.......

10.4 mpg...I'm excited...it is getting better

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just returned from a 750 mile round trip from Chicago to the Traverse City, MI area.
2 adults, 1 pre-teen and enough luggage to convince our hostess that we were moving in rather than just a 3 day visit. Got 22.5 in mostly expressway/highway driving with a little puttering around town type driving. I don't ever expect to get into the 500 mile club since I'm driving an 06 LX but 22.5 is fair enough. Its the $3.50 per gallon that kills ya.......

201 - 220 of 278 Posts