Honda Odyssey Forum banner

261 - 278 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
700 miles/tank

On our trip to southern Utah we definitely took steps to increase gas mileage.

First of all, the trip itself is conducive to good mpg. There is a drop of almost 2000 feet in elevation between Salt Lake City and St. George, Utah. Driving “downhill all the way” can produce very good mpg.

Secondly, I didn’t drive with a heavy foot. Speed kills mpg and we were conservative with our speed. According to ScanGuage, our average mph was 57 while our high was 82. There was some driving around town and on slower highways (to Zions NP, etc.) to lower the average mph.

Third, the weather was very nice for traveling. The partly cloudy skies and cooler temperatures meant we used the A/C very little on the trip.

The following is the information I can provide about the trip (still have the gas station receipt):
Miles: 727.2
Fuel: 21.402 gal.

Per ScanGuage -
Miles: 714
MPG: 33.8
Ave mph: 57
Max mph: 82

I hope this information helps. We really do love our Odyssey. It is a great family car.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
I do find that topic and website interesting. I've been on there, but have trouble being consistent on there. At the time I started getting on there, I was just getting my Corolla to pull 40 mpg somewhat consistently. Then E10 hit and I couldn't hit 40 any more and got frustrated. Then I made a few changes and I'm on right on the 40 mpg edge again.

But recently I changed jobs and moved, and my commute has gotten extremely short. I doubt I could do 40 mpg on my current commute. Too short. But at least now I can ride a bike to work, and soon drive a golf cart. Now that's some mpg I can live with! Thanks for the link!

JyRO

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just took a 3200 mile trip, 90% highway, 6 passengers, the rear cargo space stacked up to the headrests with luggage, AC on 100%, cruise control used when conditions allowed. Speed was between 70 and 75 mph.
Roads were mostly flat but there were a lot of places that required the transmission to get out of overdrive to maintain the 70 mph speed.

On one segment, I filled up the tank and drove 446 miles (including 30 minutes of slow city driving) until the fuel light turned on, then refilled with 18.4 gallons. That's 24.29 mpg.
So 21 gallons would get me 509 miles.

The best mpg for the trip was 25.6, worst was 24.2.
This is in line with the EPA figures of 17/25/20 (city/highway/combined).

I am happy with the mpg from this 2008 Ody.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Funny... Think this would be right up my wife's ally... she lives (and dies) by the distance to empty gauge...

My concern is that I"ve heard that in-tank fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel they dispense... and that you can actually burn them up if you run them dry too many times...

Anyone have any comments on that? (and it's sad that the system goes nuts when you still have 5-8 gallons of gas left.)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
In my experience exploring the bottom of the tank, I do not believe it goes nuts with 5 to 8 gallons left. I think the 'Range' data is pretty close. IMHO I think people mistakenly think that the 'Low Fuel' light comes on early because they only have ~375 miles or maybe ~400 miles on their tank.

But the true difference is the amount of fuel (their ability to top-off) they actually entered into their tank. If anything, the 'Low Fuel' light may come on a bit too late. As my wife has had a couple friends with the same generation Odyssey run out of gas locally. They didn't believe it either.

This last time I set a new record, the Range was on 0 for maybe 5 miles, and trust me, I was tippy-toe driving the van. I expected it to shut off at any time. The wife has a talent to bring it to the ragged edge of empty, leaving me with the excitement, joy and fun of limping it to the gas station. But I'm the one who enjoys the topping off of the fuel tank! :D

As for burning up the fuel pump due to lack of fuel. I think there is merit to that. And I wouldn't be surprised if my Ody's fuel pump kicks the bucket sooner than most. So far, good luck though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thought I would post a recent 500+ mile tank on a highway-only trip through Tennessee (I consistently flirt with 450-mile tanks in highway and in-town driving, and have exceeded 500 a number of times on long trips). Full disclosure: I own a 2001 Insight as well, so I have gotten used to maintaining a light foot while not blocking traffic, as well as other gas-saving strategies (lifting off on downhills, pulse-and-glide on flats, light acceleration on hills, etc.), so they are second nature to me. I don't drive slowly, and I don't block traffic. Indeed, most of my highway travel is 70-75mph. I do not use cruise: I can get a better feel for mileage enhancement tactics by using the throttle manually. Having a ScanGageII hooked up helps... And, maintaining 44 lbs. air pressure in each corner doesn't hurt, either. :)

On this trip, by the half-tank mark, I was at exactly 350 miles: Right there, I knew I would have another 500-mile tank:

Here's the 500 mark: Notice the amount of gas remaining:

When I pulled in to refill, the Low Gas light had not come on, at 547 miles:

Here's a ScanGageII shot, showing a typical result of 28+mpg on the highway at cruising speeds:

So, yes, not only can it be done, but it can be done consistently and repeatedly... :DD

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
I do not use cruise: I can get a better feel for mileage enhancement tactics by using the throttle manually.
:
:
:
SNIP
:
:

:heh:

What's up Doc?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Final trip report: ~4700 miles, 95% highway, AC engaged constantly and set on AUTO 72°, front and rear: Two passengers and lots of luggage, with four 500+ mpg tanks on trip. Best: 547 miles. Worst: 375 miles.* Average: 485 miles. :)

Overall mileage, 25.6 mpg. Not bad for a big box... ;)

* The worst tank backstory: We went down to Titusville on a last-minute lark to see the last Shuttle take off, got there 24 hours ahead of liftoff... We spent the night on the other side of the bridge sleeping in the van (not as horrible as it sounds: I can sleep anywhere (as in: second-row driver's side seat), and did you know? Front passenger seat all the way forward, with headrest removed, back tilted all the way down, plus middle passenger seat in outermost position, all the way back, seatback tilted back as far as possible: This configuration makes a passable bed! It's not a flying-Quantas-to-Australia seat-bed equivalent, but quite comfortable).

However, the Florida 'skeeters down there (Anopheles Horribilus Bloodsuckerus) are vicious little 3/8" tiger-striped buzzbombs, so we idled the van all night (according to the ScanGageII, it only burns 0.4 gph at idle, so yeah, I'll burn $10 worth of gas for AC'd comfort and hermetically-sealed windows, plus recharging our stuff, plus watching our local TV on the DVD screen via our Aux-attached laptop via SlingBox and smartphone tethering)... any day, any time, any where. It wasn't the Ritz-Carlton, but doable for a night.

But the end result: Between that and the crawl out of town post-liftoff and on Northbound I-95 crawl, the lowest tank of the trip. Oh, well... it was all worth it. Here's some of our pix:

:DD

·
Registered
12 Posts
count me in!
twice today 575 (could have pushed 600) on one tank tucson west to santa rosa new mexico
535 on the next tank was to OK city
will keep you posted on the return trip from Missouri

·
Registered
12 Posts
count me in i did it twice this week
once tucson AZ to santa rosa new mexico 575 mile might have made 600
one from santa rosa to OK city 535
now in missouri for a week lets see what the trip home brings

·
Registered
143 Posts
... I do not use cruise: I can get a better feel for mileage enhancement tactics by using the throttle manually.

You say you don't use Cruise Control, but both pictures show the opposite.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your mileage quotes are unattainable with the Odyssey unless something has been modified on the vehicle. The Scangauge you are using is based on your input. I have the same gauge and when my vehicle was new I input the data required to tell me the approximate mpg my vehicle was getting. That same input was showing 28mpg. On the same vehicle after 90,000 miles I am now getting 18-20 mpg highway. Vehicle parts get dirty and wear out, and consequently the mpg drops dramatically. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Last fill up was 440 just after the light came on a few miles earlier and it took 17.6 gal (25mpg). Currently sitting at 410 and have just under a 1/4 tank according to the gauge. Our van has been muzzled too, so I'm still getting the EPA listed hwy mileage or slightly better this tank. I've been tempted to go the full 500 but will have to make sure the rest of the tank is nearly all hwy. However, last time I took the owner's manual as gospel on fuel tank size, I ended up walking.....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Your mileage quotes are unattainable with the Odyssey unless something has been modified on the vehicle. The Scangauge you are using is based on your input. I have the same gauge and when my vehicle was new I input the data required to tell me the approximate mpg my vehicle was getting. That same input was showing 28mpg. On the same vehicle after 90,000 miles I am now getting 18-20 mpg highway. Vehicle parts get dirty and wear out, and consequently the mpg drops dramatically. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Sorry you're getting such poor mileage, but the SGii is a guide for me, not how I measure mileage. Just got back from a 4-week trip to San Diego and back (with a few side trips), 98% all highway. Including the awful stretch where we took I8, and actual mileage calculations from our aCar log gave us an average of 24.8 mpg for the entire trip, that's My Beloved and I plus all our luggage and my photo equipment (including a photo booth) for a month's worth of travel filling the back from the middle row to the tailgate. Never got the 500 mile tank, but could have been doable if I waited to fill up when the light came on...

Sorry to bear the bad news to you... But real-world, you're not getting the mileage we are, and we're not exactly sparing the horses when we get on the highway, either (we're from Texas, we pass everybody).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I chickened out on my previous attempt to join the club. The light came on at 443 miles and I calculated that to be iffy. I stretched it out to 477.4, but with family in the car and an appointment to keep, I pitted early. To my surprise it only took 18.3 gallons Vs. the 19 and change I was expecting. Nailed it today though, light came on at 444 so I figured I had a good shot. Stopped at 503.7 and it took 18.96 gallons. It was a little nerve wracking having the light on for 60 miles and the needle stopped moving entirely for the last 40 or so.

26.5 MPG with a muzzled 05 :) and there was a little city driving and A/C in the mix too.

DSC00215 (2).jpg DSC00216 (2).jpg

261 - 278 of 278 Posts