Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
JyRO;
You might be a design engineer, but the problem with people overfilling the gas tank and screwing up the charcoal canister is a real one.

Why would your design education tell you that engineers figured out a way to keep it from happening???? Why would they in the first place??? Its not a design problem. If people decide to overfill and screw it up that's ok. 200.00 and you got a new cansister. Engineers dont design fuel systems to be abused by owners. Just like they dont prevent you from driving your car over a cliff or into a wall. They design for safety, efficency and cost... not abuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Sexytom said:
JyRO;
You might be a design engineer, but the problem with people overfilling the gas tank and screwing up the charcoal canister is a real one.

Why would your design education tell you that engineers figured out a way to keep it from happening???? Why would they in the first place??? Its not a design problem. If people decide to overfill and screw it up that's ok. 200.00 and you got a new cansister. Engineers dont design fuel systems to be abused by owners. Just like they dont prevent you from driving your car over a cliff or into a wall. They design for safety, efficency and cost... not abuse.
What charcoal canister are you talking about? What exactly does it do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
959 Posts
markr33 said:
What charcoal canister are you talking about? What exactly does it do?
The charcoal canister is part of the onboard evaporative emissions control system. Basically, its job is to capture gasoline vapors that are generated in your tank and subsequently dump them back into the intake system to be burned. It is connected your fuel tank and is designed to handle vapors but not liquid, hence the concern about "flooding" it. Liquid fuel will ruin the charcoal.

See here for a basic explanation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
780 Posts
mejmea said:
The charcoal canister is part of the onboard evaporative emissions control system. Basically, its job is to capture gasoline vapors that are generated in your tank and subsequently dump them back into the intake system to be burned. It is connected your fuel tank and is designed to handle vapors but not liquid, hence the concern about "flooding" it. Liquid fuel will ruin the charcoal.

See here for a basic explanation.
It is one of the reasons Honda put that ULEV sticker on the window....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
It looks like the fuel filler cap is lower than the pipe to the canister, so filling the tank with a non-airtight hose can't really get fuel up into there! Is that correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
So what is the norm for when the fuel light comes on with about how much gas is left in the tank?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Depends if it's highway miles or not. I've gone another 50 miles and still only put 19 gallons in the tank. I will say, I never did put anything over 19 gallons at anytime.

Funwith4kids said:
So what is the norm for when the fuel light comes on with about how much gas is left in the tank?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
charcoal cannister...

Sexytom said:
JyRO;
You might be a design engineer, but the problem with people overfilling the gas tank and screwing up the charcoal canister is a real one.

Why would your design education tell you that engineers figured out a way to keep it from happening???? Why would they in the first place??? Its not a design problem. If people decide to overfill and screw it up that's ok. 200.00 and you got a new cansister. Engineers dont design fuel systems to be abused by owners. Just like they dont prevent you from driving your car over a cliff or into a wall. They design for safety, efficency and cost... not abuse.
Tom - I base that opinion on my experience in design ... with Toyota & my experience with the vehicles I have owned. I had to design for every possible scenario, including customer abuse. However, there's no way to design for everything a person may possibly do, but the things that were common, definitly tried to countermeasure.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but every single vehicle I've owned (which hasn't been that many - 1984 Celica, 1988 Suburban, 1983 RX7, 1990 Celica, 2000 Dodge Ram, 2000 4Runner, 2004 Corolla, 1993 RX7, 2006 Ody, plus 3 motorcycles that don't count here) has had gas up to the fuel cap every single time I filled it. I've never had one single fuel system issue on any of those vehicles. I put ~600,000 miles on them collectively.

Still being in design, I'm guessing (but don't know factually) that it is more than just luck.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program!

- JyRO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
Good simple explination mejmea!

JyRO, the evan canister wont fill up immediately. (if it did, that might be an engineering problem) but over time it accumilates (no way of getting out)

I personally dont fill all the way to the cap, I would usually put
in a extra 1.00 or so more after the nozzle automatically stops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Possible fuel pump damage?

I was told that regularly running the vehicle (usually Hondas) on low fuel could damage the electric fuel pump that is 'inside' the gas tank because the gas acts as a 'lubricant'.

I don't know how this works exactly but I try to fill up when we get close to 1/4 tank (before the light comes on).

I know the Ody lights up with about 5 gallons in it.

I did drive a 93 Honda Civic 467 miles (automatic)(11.9 gallon tank) in heavy freeway traffic. The traffic was heavy so the speed was mostly between 50-65mph on that day. It took 11 gallons when I filled up after that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Re: Possible fuel pump damage?

honda40 said:
I was told that regularly running the vehicle (usually Hondas) on low fuel could damage the electric fuel pump that is 'inside' the gas tank because the gas acts as a 'lubricant'.
Low on fuel, damage to the pump - Now I have heard that too. I've never had a problem so far, but maybe I just have been lucky.

As a matter of fact, my dad had ~'93 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton 2WD short bed. When I lived in MI, it was about a 600 mile drive to his house.

He topped off before he left my house, and made it easily to Knoxville, TN. That was about 80% of the way. He said he wasn't in the mood to stop for gas so kept thinking he'd try a little further. When he got to about 30 miles of home, he decided he'd just go for it. He ran out with about 5 miles to go. He fuel pump crapped out. We never knew if he actually ran out of fuel first or lost the pump.

So yeah, I can see that as being a concern.

- JyRO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Stock...

dave22r said:
any of you guys that are in the club (or close to it) have any mods like a K&N filter or those $12 spark plugs to increase mileage?
None for me, bone stock. I did my Maximum Fuel Mileage Challenge with only about 3,500 miles too.

Totally stock, and maybe not fully broken in, using the A/C, I managed 27.3 mpg. Check out the thread.

At that mpg, I don't see any need to chase too many mpg enhancers, which most of won't work anyway. And the ones that may work would be so expensive that the slight improvement in mpg would never pay back the cost of the item. At this time, I'm choosing to remain stock.

- JyRO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
i've gotten increases with K&N in every vehicle i've owed. the ody is only a week old and is not so equipped yet. i've heard mixed reviews with them in the odyssies(?) but also heard various MPG stories 12 in some to 27.3 in yours....

sorry for getting too far off topic; maybe a new thread? TO K&N, or not to K&N? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
If I let my tank run all the way dry I would be a member of the club. The best I've done (non-VCM engine, 100% highway) is 24.75 mpg. That times a 21 gallon tank is 519.75 miles. But, I always have at least one of my two small children with me--so I never let my tank get under 1/4. I'd never want to run out of gas with them in the car. (I'd never want to run out of gas anyway...but especially not with them in the car.)

JyRO, glad your mileage was so good on your trip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
One tank and over 571 miles

Yes, we drove on one tank over 941 km which is over 571 miles and still the orange warning light not comes out :)))

Cheers,
Z2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
I should add...

Thanks..1000km club ?

I should add that it was on the highway,
cruise set to approx. 95-97 km/h or 60 miles/h.

btw..it was fun to see how little gas is used at that speed.
 
21 - 40 of 278 Posts
Top