Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 60 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Re: One tank and over 571 miles

zetwo said:
Yes, we drove on one tank over 941 km which is over 571 miles and still the orange warning light not comes out :)))

Cheers,
Z2
What speed were you travelling at?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Another member of the 500+ club

Here's my story:

When I left Syracuse NY for Gadsden, AL, I reset the MID (can't reset average speed while set to B?!?!). There was about 22 miles on the trip odometer. That got reset to 0.

Used the cruise control to keep the speed AT the speed limit. If it dropped down, I dropped speed.

453.9 miles later, the "Fuel range" says 3 miles. Filled up with 17.885 gallons. Aveage MPG was 27.1MPG.

Had to fill up again later that day. average MPG was hovering around 30 for a good chunk of that time. Finally settled down to 27.9 after 524.7 miles. The range went o zero and was that way for about 20 miles (no gas stations nearby).

Filled up 18.7 gallons.

My wife said to me: "Let's not do that again!!!" (meaning taking chances when the range is 0).

Minivan has about 17,500 miles on the odometer now. I consider it BROKEN IN and meeting EPA values for MPG!

We'll see how the return trip goes!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Karl - You're a definite member of the 500 mile club.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I am going to try to join this club earlier in July (an upcoming trip from NJ to Toronto)... However, I have a feeling that I will not make it to 500 miles/per tank, as the trip goes thru some mountains of eastern PA...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
cartoons...

Maybe I'm insensitive, or maybe I've watched too many cartoons :D (and still like'em), but I'm grinning thinking about us dopes running our minivans out of gas, trying to make 500 miles, only for our entertainment. :D Hehehehe.

I started the thread, but haven't had the chance to join yet. I feel a roadtrip coming on. Course I may have to take a gas can just for peace of mind. :D

- JyRO

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
awesome...

If your fuel mileage computer has as much error as mine, then you actually averaged around 30 mpg. I tend to think the 20 - 28 EPA ratings are realistic. That's impressive range / mileage Karl. Now I have something to shoot for.

- JyRO

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Joined some other clubs...

I joined the 700 mile club, in my Dodge Ram! And it only took me 34.039 gallons.

I went 700.5 miles on 34.039 gallons. That's 20.58 miles per gallon. Yeah, I know, that's bad. :(

Its a 5.9L inline 6 cylinder turbo diesel. The truck weighs 7,130 lbs. all by itself but only a full tank of fuel.

A comparably powered gasser (Dodge V-10, Ford V-10, Chevy V-8 8.1L, skinny can confirm this) would be about 14 or 15 mpg under the same conditions. So I'm happy! My truck dyno'd at 310 h.p. and 660 lb.ft. at the tires!

AND!

Today I'm joining the 600 mile club in my 2004 Corolla LE. I had a trip to make to my parents' house and I took back roads and ran 55 mph there and back. It actually didn't seem slow (just relaxed) except on a few stretches of 65 mph zoned 4-lane (I did 55 mph there too). Then an extra couple days to and from work at no more than 50 mph on back roads.

So it's taken a lot of effort, but my fuel mileage is going to be somewhere about 43 mpg. Not too shabby!

I've still got to get the Ody into the 500 mile club.

- JyRO

·
Registered
583 Posts
Re: Joined some other clubs...

JyRO said:
I joined the 700 mile club, in my Dodge Ram! And it only took me 34.039 gallons.

I went 700.5 miles on 34.039 gallons. That's 20.58 miles per gallon. Yeah, I know, that's bad. :(

Its a 5.9L inline 6 cylinder turbo diesel. The truck weighs 7,130 lbs. all by itself but only a full tank of fuel.

A comparably powered gasser (Dodge V-10, Ford V-10, Chevy V-8 8.1L, skinny can confirm this) would be about 14 or 15 mpg under the same conditions. So I'm happy! My truck dyno'd at 310 h.p. and 660 lb.ft. at the tires!

AND!

Today I'm joining the 600 mile club in my 2004 Corolla LE. I had a trip to make to my parents' house and I took back roads and ran 55 mph there and back. It actually didn't seem slow (just relaxed) except on a few stretches of 65 mph zoned 4-lane (I did 55 mph there too). Then an extra couple days to and from work at no more than 50 mph on back roads.

So it's taken a lot of effort, but my fuel mileage is going to be somewhere about 43 mpg. Not too shabby!

I've still got to get the Ody into the 500 mile club.

- JyRO
Yuo got the Dodge Ram to 700 on ONE TANK of gas? How big is the tank on that thing??

Coming home from Alabama this past Sunday/Monday, we took a slightly alternate route. I could've made the 500+ club easily but the wife didn't want me taking chances. We were filling up after 485 miles between fillups.

Averaging about 26-27MPG.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
It's a 35 gallon tank that I took down to less than one gallon. The problem with that is that if you run one of these 2nd generation trucks to empty, you'll have a hard time bleeding the air out of the lines, and might wind up having to tow it to a shop.

The Ody won't have that issue, so don't let the wife stop you from running out of gas :D ... uh, I mean re-affirming your membership into the 500 mile club! :D :stupid:

- JyRO

·
Registered
215 Posts
One thing to bear in mind, kiddies. Just 'cuz the tank has a 21 gallon capacity doesn't mean you'll get all 21 gallons out of it! By the time the pump sucks air, you'll have some residual fuel left in the bottom of the tank. My brother learned this the hard way by driving his Pontiac while staring at the trip computer watching the "Gallons Remaining" or something like that. (maybe it was miles remaining). Sucker gave out on him with like 1/2 or 3/4 of a gallon to go!

:stupid:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Pahtoe - On my van, I have refilled it with 22.7 gallons once and 22.9 at another. That seems logical since a buddy of mine from Chrysler said that the vehicles he worked on actually had more capacity than stated in an effort to keep us dummies from running out of gas. And also that the range was programmed to go to 0 and still have about 1 gallon remaining.

My Ody, courtesy of my wife, remained on 0 for about 8 or 9 miles before I made it to the gas station (where I put 22.9 or so gallons in the tank).

·
Registered
215 Posts
I can understand that's why they calibrate the fuel gauges to read "E" well before you're truly empty. (typically by 1 1/2 gallons or so)

Intentionally bluffing the capacity of the tank doesn't make as much sense to me (other than possibly rounding down a 21.9 gal tank to 21 gallons just for sake of dropping the decimal). Most of us (i.e. Non-tourings) have no ability to measure actual gallons while we're driving, so knowing the tank has 21 gallons or 22 gallons doesn't help us any.

As for your van and 22.9 gallons. You're already an admitted big time overfiller. I don't think many of us are as daring as you are so we have to contend with considerably less fuel per tank. ;)

Even if you take out damaging the charcoal canister. Suppose you live in a climate where temperatures vary significantly. You drive the car right home with the gas up to the cap. Now the car warms up or cools off. Expansion and contraction. Where does the gas go now? This can be a considerable amount. My old Chevy used to have an open gas vent (no canister). On some days enough gas would get forced out the vent to leave a small puddle on the ground! :eek:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I guess I'm a lunatic...

My Touring doesn't tell me how many gallons I have left. It has a 'Range' though. I don't know how many gallons I have left, I can only estimate based on the miles on the tank, and the mpg indicated by the M.I.D.

I have done this little ridiculous trick in all my vehicles too, I don't know why I'm so obsessed about it: :rolleyes: The best example is, when I lived in MI., and was planning a trip to my parents in GA. We had a 2000 4Runner 3.4L V6 with a 5 speed manual. I took a gas can and topped the tank off in the garage after filling it at the gas station. I've done this in my other cars too. :dizzy:

I'd go out a couple times before going to bed and add more when it wasn't up to the cap. And once more in the morning before leaving. Never had a problem with the charcoal cannister. I never could get to 500 miles with that vehicle ... it had something like a 18.5 gallon tank and about 24 mpg at 70 mph. I never lost fuel on the ground yet. Wow, I'm starting to realize how obsessed I am. :D

But the Ody is easy. I know I can get 25 mpg down the interstate and not even try real hard. I know I've put almost 23 gallons in the thing. Knowing this, I can run it to 500 miles, find a gas station, and not have to worry about running out of fuel.

Holy cow, now I'm even considering trying to make 600 miles sometime. I've got 27.3 mpg one time. 600 miles / 27.3 = 21.98 gallons. Hehehehe, I guess I'm going to have to run myself out of gas one time in the middle of nowhere before I let this go. :D

- JyRO

·
Registered
22 Posts

We went 504 miles today going west from Illinois into Missouri on I 70 and I 44. When I filled up it took 19.1 gals for 26.4 mi/gal. This is only the 8th tank of gas on our new 06 and the best mileage so far.

Some bozo bumped us at a stoplight and scratched our bumper near St. Louis.:(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Back from CA and LV and here's the result: we did close to 450 miles on one tank. That was on a long highway trip from California to Seattle, passing through tons of hilly roads. I am sure we could have gone further than 450 since we didn't overfill and didn't push too far towards Empty. We have at least 20 more miles before the refill but I didn't want to push it on roads I wasn't familiar with.

41 - 60 of 278 Posts