Honda Odyssey Forum banner

101 - 120 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I'll be heading to my brother's house this weekend. He's about 265 miles away. I WILL be joining the club. I'm actually going to look into joining the 600 mile club, but will be carefull not to wind up on the side of the road, as I will have 2 or all 3 of my little buddies with me. :D

600 mile club? Impossible you say? Maybe. :D I would have to use 20 gallons and get 30 mpg, or use 21 gallons and get 28.5 mpg.

I've gotton 27.3 mpg using A/C and running the interstate. This time I'm going to use all back roads at 55 mph, and stay away from as many towns as possible. We'll see! I'll probably chicken out! :D

- JyRO

·
Registered
959 Posts
Good luck, but don't stay away from all the towns when your gage gets down towards the bottom....

Maybe you could plug a fan into the 3rd row outlet and give yourself a tailwind to help! :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
JyRO said:
I'll be heading to my brother's house this weekend. He's about 265 miles away. I WILL be joining the club. I'm actually going to look into joining the 600 mile club, but will be carefull not to wind up on the side of the road, as I will have 2 or all 3 of my little buddies with me. :D

600 mile club? Impossible you say? Maybe. :D I would have to use 20 gallons and get 30 mpg, or use 21 gallons and get 28.5 mpg.

I've gotton 27.3 mpg using A/C and running the interstate. This time I'm going to use all back roads at 55 mph, and stay away from as many towns as possible. We'll see! I'll probably chicken out! :D

- JyRO
I think it's possible. Will you be watching the instantaneous fuel consumption display? That is very helpful. It shouldn't be hard to keep the mpgs above 30 at 55mph. You should be able to keep it in 3 cylinder mode most of the time. You might even be able to do this when going up some hills if you are willing to sacrifice some speed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
mejmea said:
Good luck, but don't stay away from all the towns when your gage gets down towards the bottom....

Maybe you could plug a fan into the 3rd row outlet and give yourself a tailwind to help! :D
:nice:

I may be willing to try anything! ;) I started a new thread about this coming weekend. I *might* stick a gas can with a couple gallons in the back of the vehicle. But they tend to stink up the car ... so I really don't want to. If I had to use the can, I'll admit it and not claim joining a club I don't deserve.

- JyRO

·
Registered
959 Posts
JyRO said:
:nice:

I may be willing to try anything! ;) I started a new thread about this coming weekend. I *might* stick a gas can with a couple gallons in the back of the vehicle. But they tend to stink up the car ... so I really don't want to. If I had to use the can, I'll admit it and not claim joining a club I don't deserve.

- JyRO
A gas can might not be bad insurance but I'd not be inclined to push it. Some fuel pumps don't like to run dry (don't know about the Ody's) and then you'd really be stuck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I made the 500 mile club so I am satisfied. I do not believe my wife would appreciate my need for the 600 mile club. She was a little nervous about the 500 mile club but conceded to my need to join. :D

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I forgot to mention that on 7/18, I became an official member of the 500 mile club. And actually I'm the charter member of the 600 mile club. On a recent trip to my brother's house, this is what I read when I returned home and filled it up with gas again.

AVERAGE FUEL A - 25.8 mpg

TRIP A - 607.1 miles

RANGE - 0 miles

ELAPSED TIME - 13h 16m

AVERAGE SPEED - 46 mph

Gallons to refill - 23.371 ($66.35 )

Doing the hand calculations - 25.98 mpg

I got this during my Maximum Fuel Mileage Challenge ... Chapter 2!.

I was trying to get 30 mpg, but didn't even get very close.
I did make 600 miles.
I did join the 500 mile club.

I ran the A/C the entire time, based on survival. I ran backroads, and it appears that cruising the interstate is more efficient (fuel and time). So ends my fuel mileage challenges (mpg & range). At least until the fall/winter when I can run with no A/C. :D

- JyRO

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
A funny little thing happened. :D After I topped off the tank when coming home, a couple days later my wife took my boys for a trip over to see her mother. Its nearly a 300 mile (one way trip).

She called me and said, "I think there's something wrong with the fuel gauge."

I said, "Oh yeah, what seems to be the problem?"

She said, "Well, I'm coming into Fort Valley," (which BTW is about 140 miles into her trip), "and the needle is still completely on full!"

I chuckled and told her that no, its because I topped it off when I got home, all the way to the top, to give the OdyClub members an accurate mpg reading."

I'm sure she rolled her eyes :rolleyes: wondering why I'd even care to bother to do it. Hehehehe.

I told her to enjoy the range (with a big grin on my face :D ).

Hmmm... with that kind of range, she could've made it there and back! Sounds like a challenge for another time!

- JyRO

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
charlie1214 said:
So, is your wife going to join the 500 mile club also?
More than likely! :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Run a search. It can be very damaging to fill the tank up to the top of the neck. :(

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
No. :D

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
Are you trying to imply that I'm ---> :dizzy:

I resemble that remark! :D

I haven't had as many vehicles as some, but every single one has had gas up to the neck hundreds of times. I haven't had a problem yet.

The only fuel system problem I've ever had was on my first car. A 1984 Toyota Celica GT (loved that car!).

I took it to do some autocrossing with it. It was my first and only autocross attempt to date. Only because I've never had a car that I would consider dispensable. Even though I know that autocrossing is not necessarily hard/destructive to a car ... there is definitly a possibility.

Anyway, during a Saturday practice, there was a set of cones set up in a big circle, and we were to go as fast as possible around the outside of those cones, for several laps one at a time.

I had probably about 1/4 tank, and sloshing it all to one side must have run my pump dry. After doing that and shutting the engine off, I barely got it to start up again. It took several minutes and several attempts. I decided to take the car home because it was just too hard to start and I would break a starter. It barely made it home, it kept shutting off and had to be restarted about 5 times in less than 10 miles. I replaced the fuel pump myself.

Of course that car had about 275,000 miles on it at the time (1999). :D So blame it on the miles, but I felt that sloshing all the fuel away from the pump is what finished it off. The car was running strong at 296,000+ miles when some bone head pulled out in front of me and I T-boned him. I did over $62 worth of damage so the insurance company totaled it out. :D Actually repairing it would've cost like $5k.

So, I got a check for $2,800, and bought a $2,800 car :D. More money than I thought I'd get for that 15 year old Celica with nearly 300k miles. But the $2,800 car wasn't as much car as my Celica was, and it only had ~120k miles on it. But it got the job done until 2001/mid.

My reply is entirely too long. That's what you get for calling me crazy! :D

[Edit: I figured I should list all the cars I've owned, to justify my 1st paragraph -

1984 Toyota Celica GT (given to me)

1988 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton 4X4 Scottsdale (nice truck, especially for $8,600 used)

1983 Mazda RX-7 LE - Fun, but not versatile, economical as the Celica ($2,800 actually I haggled down to $2,500)

2000 Dodge Ram 2500HD 4X4 Cummins Turbo Diesel (sold suburban, my first new car, er truck)

1990 Toyota Celica STX - procured through marriage (girlfriend paid ~$8,000 for it in 1992).

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4X4 V6 5-speed - Had a kid, retired the RX-7, I commuted with the '90 Celica, bought used for $21,0XX.

2004 Toyota Corolla LE - Toyota discount (sold the RX-7 & '90 Celica with 210k miles was 100% operational)

2006 Honda Odyssey Touring R&N - Sold the 4Runner with 96k

The 4Runner had only oil & filter changes. Not one repair & on the original tires and brakes when we sold it. It was the best vehicle we ever owned, but too narrow for 3 car seats.]

- JyRO

·
Registered
95 Posts
We have done about 420-450 miles on the tank. I think we would be able to hit the 500 if cali wasn't so close. We can get there and still have just under a quarter tank. After we get off the freeway though I think someone is siphoning our gas at the stoplights. Probably another Ody owner. :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
ok so whats my deal. I barely made it to the 350 club......
IM hoping its due to the fact that I came from a relatively quick sedan and that my Ody is very new only about 500 miles on her.

gotta adjust my driving style I think........

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
3GIRLS said:
IM hoping its due to the fact that I came from a relatively quick sedan and that my Ody is very new only about 500 miles on her.

You need to join a different club - the one lead by Wild Willy (<200 mile club :))

·
Registered
13,953 Posts
3GIRLS said:

All Hondas need to be broken in. And you indeed need to change your driving style. An Odyssey is more like a limo than a sports car. Glide up to speed. Hold speed with light throttle. Let off gas completely as soon as you know you will need to stop ahead. Saves fuel, saves brakes and keeps kids from throwing up.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
egads said:
All Hondas need to be broken in. And you indeed need to change your driving style. An Odyssey is more like a limo than a sports car. Glide up to speed. Hold speed with light throttle. Let off gas completely as soon as you know you will need to stop ahead. Saves fuel, saves brakes and keeps kids from throwing up.
Exactly! I agree 99.9%. If it were anybody else I would've agreed 100.0%! :D I'm just pulling your leg egads. That is exactly how I try to drive all my cars. I feel it makes them last a whole lot longer and costs me much less money to own and operate.

- JyRO

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I made it to 480.5 miles last weekend, almost 90% highway miles on I-80 eastbound from Illinois. Unfortunately, I wasn't sure we would make it to the next exit/plaza on the turnpike and didn't want to risk it being remodeled or something. As it turned out, there was a gallon left in the tank. The next plaza was about 10 miles later so I'd have still been short of 500 and the following one might have been a few miles too far...

With the wife and kids in the van, I doubt I'll ever get any higher unless it's 100% highway miles with a tailwind and no A/C such that it's very clear I'm getting above 25mpg.

So far our highway trips have been pretty consistent for mileage. 24-25mpg with heavy A/C use, 25-27mpg with light or no A/C use.

101 - 120 of 278 Posts