Honda Odyssey Forum banner

141 - 160 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
good job fellas.

i think alot of these people that get these dismall trip mpg's aren't giving it a fair chance.

i'm betting that many drive around for a day or 2 in the city say getting 16-17mpg. then get on their road trip. well the avg is gonna be low. it's very hard to overcome that 16-17 avg.

when we got our 26+ , we fillled up and got on the road. light traffic. 70mph avg. A/C. loaded pretty heavily.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Or they are like me and find driving long distances under 80 MPH hopelessly boring. You are not going to hit high numbers going fast. To the reasonable goes the mileage.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
VFR pilot said:
good job fellas.

i think alot of these people that get these dismall trip mpg's aren't giving it a fair chance.

i'm betting that many drive around for a day or 2 in the city say getting 16-17mpg. then get on their road trip. well the avg is gonna be low. it's very hard to overcome that 16-17 avg.

when we got our 26+ , we fillled up and got on the road. light traffic. 70mph avg. A/C. loaded pretty heavily.

VFR - When I did my Fuel Mileage Challenge, that's exactly how I did it. I went to the fuel station we like right by the interstate and topped off. Drove to the gas station just off the interstate near my parents' house, topped off again. About 265 miles if I remember. I ran 70 mph the whole way, with A/C on 2/3rds of the way. Seems like I got 27.3 mpg.

- JyRO

·
Registered
118 Posts
I drove 554 miles on 19.996 gallons. This calculates to 27.7 mpg, althought the dash only displayed 26.3 mpg for the tank. My last three tanks have been calculating higher than the display.

I must admit that I put a little extra gas in the previous tank, but I did not fill to the neck. Everything that I added past the first click, I added to this tank. This way, I am always using the first click as the reference point. I know this may not be the best reference point, but I am not going to make a habit of overfilling my tank.

I will post more results as they come.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
charlie1214 said:
...but I am not going to make a habit of overfilling my tank.
Yeah, spilling it down the side of your vehicle would stink. But if you're paying close attention, it's very easy to not spill.

You're numbers are outstanding. When I did my couple high mileage tests, I too hand calculated a higher than the M.I.D. read. Congrats!

I don't think I'll see 28 mpg until late fall/winter (no A/C).

- JyRO

·
Registered
118 Posts
JyRO said:
Yeah, spilling it down the side of your vehicle would stink. But if you're paying close attention, it's very easy to not spill.

You're numbers are outstanding. When I did my couple high mileage tests, I too hand calculated a higher than the M.I.D. read. Congrats!

I don't think I'll see 28 mpg until late fall/winter (no A/C).

- JyRO
For me, a 28 tank will be very tough. According to my MID, I was over 28 on my current tank after ~250 miles. I put almost 250 more today that would have kept me at 28 if it had not been for 20 or so miles of stoplights every few blocks. That dropped my tank down to about 26.9 mpg.

It was quite tedious topping off. I added 5 more gallons after the nozzle first clicked off and I never saw any sign that I was near the end--although I imagine I was.

I still had 70 to 80 miles on my range at 554 miles, but I did not know where the next gas station was going to be. I knew their was a station about 30 miles past my range. Also, it was almost midnight in southern Kansas/northern Oklahoma. As it turned out, I passed a station that would have been at just over 600 miles. Oh well.

·
Registered
959 Posts
charlie1214 said:
For me, a 28 tank will be very tough. According to my MID, I was over 28 on my current tank after ~250 miles. I put almost 250 more today that would have kept me at 28 if it had not been for 20 or so miles of stoplights every few blocks. That dropped my tank down to about 26.9 mpg.

It was quite tedious topping off. I added 5 more gallons after the nozzle first clicked off and I never saw any sign that I was near the end--although I imagine I was.

I still had 70 to 80 miles on my range at 554 miles, but I did not know where the next gas station was going to be. I knew their was a station about 30 miles past my range. Also, it was almost midnight in southern Kansas/northern Oklahoma. As it turned out, I passed a station that would have been at just over 600 miles. Oh well.
Depending on the "up-to-datedness" of your NAV dvd (and your faith in it's accuracy!) - you could use it to identify potential gas station sites (i.e. turn on the gas station icons) on your next attempt.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
mejmea said:
Depending on the "up-to-datedness" of your NAV dvd (and your faith in it's accuracy!) - you could use it to identify potential gas station sites (i.e. turn on the gas station icons) on your next attempt.....
I do have Navi in my Civic Hybrid, but, unfortunately, I did not get it for my Odyssey. It was packaged together with RES in the 2005 Touring and it was quite pricey. I had to rely on an atlas for this trip. If circumstances allow, I still may be able to hit 600 on my current tank. Based upon my range and current miles, I should be good.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
If you make 600 miles, you must be cheating! ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just filled up at 581 miles and 21.707 gallons. This calculates to 26.77 mpg. The dash displayed 26.7 mpg. The range was only 9 miles when I filled up. I would have tried to hold off a little bit longer, but all of today's driving will be in the city.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
charlie1214 said:
I just filled up at 581 miles and 21.707 gallons. This calculates to 26.77 mpg. The dash displayed 26.7 mpg. The range was only 9 miles when I filled up. I would have tried to hold off a little bit longer, but all of today's driving will be in the city.
How could you put more than 21 gallons in a 21 gallon tank. You cheated! I know that tank is 21 gallons, because that's what it says in the owner's manual. :D ;)

You could have made it! I bet your around town driving wouldn't have affected your range that much since you only had 19 more miles to go to get to 600. Your mpg and my mpg sound very similar.

Something about topping off a tank causes the Ody to get better fuel mileage. ;) I think everybody should top-off in order to gain mpg and save fuel! :D Just kidding. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
JyRO said:
How could you put more than 21 gallons in a 21 gallon tank. You cheated! I know that tank is 21 gallons, because that's what it says in the owner's manual. :D ;)

You could have made it! I bet your around town driving wouldn't have affected your range that much since you only had 19 more miles to go to get to 600. Your mpg and my mpg sound very similar.

Something about topping off a tank causes the Ody to get better fuel mileage. ;) I think everybody should top-off in order to gain mpg and save fuel! :D Just kidding. :D
I will try one more time. I did not top off this tank, but I will fill up before we head back to Denver on Monday. I will see how much I can top off, and then I will be done doing that. My first attempt would have made it easily if I had only known where the gas stations were.

We shall see.

·
Registered
684 Posts
charlie1214 said:
I am still working on my best tank. It's at 27.8 mpg after 569 miles according to the MID.
Wow that's awesome!. I can get that type of mileage in the Ody, but only if I coast and feather the throttle at EVERY possible opportunity. Acellerate very gently, typically not exceed 60-65mph.... I actually do that in the Hybrid, but it does not seem too be as tough. My last tank in the Hybrid was 713 miles...

For some reason, I find it hard to maintain this type of driving for a full tank in the Ody.

So Charlie, would you say it seems to take a lot of effort to get this type of mileage?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks. The first 205 miles of this tank were interstate miles. Since then, it has been suburban/city driving.

Since my wife has returned from maternity leave, she has been driving the Civic Hybrid most of the time. It has been tough commuting in the Ody and not being able to control the fuel economy very well. As a result I have started killing the engine at stop lights and some times when I am coasting to a stoplight. I have only done this for about 100 miles on a previous tank and the non-interstate miles on this tank. It can make a big difference.

Isn't the Civic Hybrid a great car? We love ours. My best tank was 62.4 mpg. The only tank that I topped off gave me 744 miles.

·
Registered
684 Posts
So it sounds like you agree that the Civic is much easier to attain higher than EPA #s than the Ody...

And yes, the hybrid is an awesome car. It's actually fun to drive and incredibly efficient at the same time!

·
Registered
118 Posts
OdysseyFamily said:
So it sounds like you agree that the Civic is much easier to attain higher than EPA #s than the Ody...

And yes, the hybrid is an awesome car. It's actually fun to drive and incredibly efficient at the same time!
I definitely agree. My best round trip in the Odyssey is just a bit over 30. In the Civic Hybrid, I have a 45 mile round trip at 74 mpg.

·
Registered
98 Posts
WOW, I think we may have a recordholder here!

I got my 500 while the van was under load with 5 people, luggage and hilly terrain. 650 seems very possible.

So what was the terrain like, speed, and load?

·
Registered
118 Posts
According to the MID, the average speed was 35mph. The first 205 miles of the tank were on the interstate at much higher speeds with 4 people and luggage. The remaining miles were commuting around town for the last 2 weeks. I would say there are lots of mild hills. I would shift to neutral and turn the engine off when approaching redlights. I would also do this when I was going downhill for long enough to maintain my speed for a significant distance.

141 - 160 of 278 Posts