Honda Odyssey Forum banner

161 - 180 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
charlie1214 said:
I would shift to neutral and turn the engine off when approaching redlights. I would also do this when I was going downhill for long enough to maintain my speed for a significant distance.
Wow, that's quite an extreme to resort to, just to get some extra miles out of the tank. What if you need to make a manuever or the light turns green? Can you start the van again while it's rolling?

·
Registered
684 Posts
jsevlie said:
Wow, that's quite an extreme to resort to, just to get some extra miles out of the tank. What if you need to make a manuever or the light turns green? Can you start the van again while it's rolling?
The van can be started again while on the go, with the trans in neutral. Our hybrid vehicles do this at each and every stop, and/or wehever coasting.

Additionally, I would guess Charlie does not make a habit of it, just for this one tank to hit that record 650 mile mark!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can still make maneuvers with the engine off. The main thing that is lost with the engine off is power steering. This would make turning at low speed very hard. The power brakes will be gone after several uses, but I have never used them that much. If I had to use them more than once, I would restart. I have only done this on routes that I am extremely familiar with.

I know these stoplights very well. When I am sitting at one, I can watch the other lights to see when I need to restart.

People who do this a lot refer to this as force autostopping (FASing). It can make a huge difference in fuel economy. However, I would recommend that anybody that wants to try it do their homework first--I sure did.

OdysseyFamily is correct. I used this technique a lot more than I normally would to get one good tank. I also topped off for this tank and the previous few. However, I am done topping off for the foreseeable future.

In case anybody is interested, I went about 10 miles past the point where the range to empty displayed 0. I finished off the last 14 or so miles of the tank by making a 4 mile loop to get me over 650 miles.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Charlie - That is awesome! 650 miles. However, I think you should've hand calculated the fuel mileage (if you didn't). I would bet your real fuel mileage was higher than what the M.I.D. displayed.

But I was first to 600 miles! :p I didn't shut off my engine to do it either! I may have been first, but there's no way I would've gone 650 miles. I was at 607 miles when I gassed up again. I probably would have been walking at 615. :D

- JyRO

·
Registered
118 Posts
JyRO said:
Charlie - That is awesome! 650 miles. However, I think you should've hand calculated the fuel mileage (if you didn't). I would bet your real fuel mileage was higher than what the M.I.D. displayed.

But I was first to 600 miles! :p I didn't shut off my engine to do it either! I may have been first, but there's no way I would've gone 650 miles. I was at 607 miles when I gassed up again. I probably would have been walking at 615. :D

- JyRO
Thanks. Yeah, I know shutting down the engine is taking it to another extreme. I would not have been able to achieve this mileage without doing that. I was at 29.1 after 205 miles, but that was all interstate and no shutting the engine off. The rest of the miles were city/suburban driving.

I did hand calculate the mileage, but since I did not top off after that tank I had to rely on my first click to first click as the reference. This can lead to tank to tank errors. I calculated 27.92 mpg. I would also like to think that this is low based upon my past history that shows my MID reads a little low. I would have expected about 28.4 mpg.

Shutting down the engine, at least at stoplights, can be very beneficial. In some parts of the world, it is actually encouraged and I have heard that it is even the law in some european countries. I have also heard that some of their lights are equipped with another signal that tells you when to restart. As for me, I watch the lights in the other directions to let me know when to restart.

http://www.airwatchnorthwest.org/wa/NO_IDLE/Anti_Idle_FactSheet_long.html

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
charlie1214 said:
I have also heard that some of their lights are equipped with another signal that tells you when to restart.
It's usual for their lights to show red, followed by red and amber for a few seconds and then green.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just got back today from a 1724 mile road trip. Made the 500 club three times. Very easy to do cruising primarily Interstates with cruise set at 70 mph. Sometimes I got above that speed passing, etc. but not often. Averaged 26.42 for the trip, but no tank got up to 28 -- 27.7 was the best and that was with a tail wind.

One thing complicating accurate tank measurement is the difficulty in getting a consistent fill up. I usually could pack up to two gallons in after the cut off. Packing the tank is a very meticulous job and the slope of the vehicle at the pump can make a real difference. I always filled up with the slope (if any) at the station favorable for a full packing.

Good news was that the GPS (Garmin hand held) verified that 70 mph was actually 70 mph.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
J_N - Great job! Actually I have never seen 28 on my M.I.D. or by hand either. But 27.7 mpg is great.

You are right, packing is meticulous. If a station has a slight slope or maybe some shoulder or something at the pump, I do what I can to make the RH side tires as much below the LH side tires as possible. Helps the air bubbles come up the filler.

You should've joined the 600 mile club while you were at it. I did (earlier on this thread) and seems like someone else did as well. But great job!

- JyRO

·
Registered
143 Posts
I could probably make 600 if I set the cruise on 65, but I would go stir crazy. I went to 524 on the last tank and refilled before the yellow light came on. What speed did you drive to make the 600 club?

I don't know when we'll have a chance to drive again or if I'll have the patience to hold the speed down. It's her car and I rarely drive it. It was a very comfortable trip -- good seats and great steering feel.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
On the trip that I made 600+ miles (think it was about 607 or so), I was driving a bunch of back roads at 55 mph. This info is on this thread a few pages back. BUT! The backroads had towns and stop lights, and stop signs, and steep hills ... to the point that my fuel mileage was slightly less than it was when I cruised the interstate at 70 mph. I STUFFED the tank full and drove it until it was rather empty. [But not as empty as it was this Saturday when my wife allowed me the privilege of determining if the van would make it to the closest fuel station ... I don't know how I made it, I would've put money on running out.]

When I'm on the interstate, I'm predicting (more or less) what every car that could effect my driving, to my front & to my rear, is going to do. And I plan accordingly so that I NEVER have to touch my brakes and RARELY even have to cancel the cruise. It doesn't take fuel to cancel the cruise, but it does to resume. I also will not speed up when passing, unless its getting ridiculous and I'm gathering a fleet of vehicles behind me. But 9 times out of 10 I let the cars go by on my left, pull out and cruise on by the slower traffic and never effect anyone behind me. Sure does help the mpg's to keep the speed as constant as possible.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree with and admire all of your driving habits as far as getting the best mileage is concerned. But you have much more patience than I normally have and obviously it has been rewarded. I worked at driving the 70 mph and would often speed up when I swung out into the passing lane to keep from holding up the left lane traffic. Occasionally I would do as you do, but more often I passed rather than follow a fellow running five or so mph slower.

I still might do what's necessary to get to the 600 mile club. When I told my wife that there now is a 600 mile bunch, she just rolled her eyes.:rolleyes: Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Initially I was miffed our 2005 Ody EX-L had brutal fuel economy. We did a long trip 3 months after we bought it and averaged 26-29mpg with our 2 kids/luggage/golf clubs. Around town we were in the 14-19 mpg range.
This year we did the same trip, but with 30,000 km on it now, nicely broken in. At times we did 28 mpg at the worst. But one stretch, I held it at steady throttle and "at or slightly above speed limits" and we averaged 34.7 mpg. I think we could have gone close to 1000 km (600 miles) if the road had not ended. Also, we are always aboe 20 mpg around town.

CAVEAT: Our MPG is a bit different from you Yanks, our gallon is 20% larger. Hence, Transport Canada rated our van for 22 mpg city and 37 mpg highway. Also, TC does highway testing at 77 km/h for 20 minutes. Who goes 77 km/h (45 mph) on the freeway?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
JyRO said:
I also will not speed up when passing, unless its getting ridiculous and I'm gathering a fleet of vehicles behind me. But 9 times out of 10 I let the cars go by on my left, pull out and cruise on by the slower traffic and never effect anyone behind me. Sure does help the mpg's to keep the speed as constant as possible.
We used to call that manueuver a "bus driver's pass", passing while maintaining constant speed. I appreciate drivers who blend with the flow of traffic, as long as they don't take too long to pass and so block the left lane forever. On occasion, it has been my escape route from certain catastrophe.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, a few weeks ago, I decided to make a run for a 700 mile tank. I was doing pretty good too. I was at 29.7 mpg after 272 miles. Unfortunately, I traded the vehicle in at that point. My fuel economy was about to be over 30 mpg. I initially had it well over 30, but cool and rainy weather brought it down. Also, the dealership where I traded it in was uphill from my house, so I likely would have been at 30 if I would have made it home from the dealership.

Anyway, I traded it in on a 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I really liked my van and will miss some things about it, but I also really like the Highlander Hybrid.

In particular, I like the Highlander's fuel economy. I'm still on my first tank and I'm already blowing away the EPA numbers. That is practically impossible in the Odyssey. The Highlander is big enough for our family of four to road trip, so we're all good.

After 2 years of ownership, I got $25K for a trade-in. I paid $32.5K. That's very good relative to other makes, but it is still hard to stomach. But to make me feel better, I will be getting back over $4K in federal and state credits (mostly state). Also, Toyota was offering a $1500 rebate on the Highlander.

I'll miss my Odyssey, but my biggest disappointment is that I didn't get to finish my last tank.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just made the 500 mile club today driving from New Orleans to DisneyWorld in Orlando. 504.7 miles, 18.3 gallons to fill up, 27.6 mpg, average between 70-75 mph. Not bad for 4 people + their luggage for a week, running the A/C the whole way, and driving through Tropical Storm Barry in the process :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just joined the 600 mile club at 600.0 miles even from Ottumwa, IA to Julesburg, CO (with a side trip into Julesburg). :cool:

·
Registered
684 Posts
I recently hit 709 miles on a tank in my Civic Hybrid - 12.4 gallon tank in that car!

Oddly enough I have never managed even 500 miles out of over 25000 miles of driving Odyssey's!!!

I added a 2007 SLK280 to the garage recently and can tell you that the epa rating of 20/27 is very similar to the Odyssey's (2006 Odyssey rated 20/28, 2007 Odyssey now rated 19/27). The SLK gets better gas mileage than the Odyssey... EVEN THOUGH IT THE SLK IS DRIVEN HARDER AND FASTER!!!!

So the point that I am getting at is: I want to know if you all feel it is likely that my wife is a stoplight racer and drives like a manian when I am not around?

Just kidding. I truly feel that the EPA rating on the Odyssey is very inaccurate and an be misleading to consumers. It's just way to far off! I can manage 26 or 27 MPG on rare occasion, but it is EXTREMELY hard to do; and even harder to do for any significant length of time...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't see your tongue in your cheek, but I am sure you are jesting with a comparison of an SLK to an Ody,....right?

According to edmunds.com the vehicle specs are:

2007 MB SLK

V6 3L
228 HP
3215 lbs
20/27 mpg
Est. range 499

2007 Honda EX-L Res/Nav

V6 3.5L
244HP
4541 lbs
19/26 mpg
Est range 399

Actually, if you are doing a comparison, I'd say the Ody is remarkable for getting virtually the same estimated mpg pushing a much boxier shape as well as 1300+ lbs more.

And, if the mpg for the Ody is a couple of mpg less I still find it remarkable, if comparing that to the SLK.

161 - 180 of 278 Posts