Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere in the postings that someone changed their oil filter at 500 miles, but did not change their oil until the normal interval.

Is there a reason for changing the filter and not the oil? I'm at 500 miles on my 02 SS LX and would like to know that the consensus is?

02 SS LX
Cargo Tray
Mud Guards
6 Disc CD Changer
Custom seat covers

so far...

·
Registered
86 Posts
The suggestion to change the filter at 500 miles comes from the idea that there may be contaminates in the oil from the manufacturing process.

The reason not to change the oil is that some manufacturers use a break-in oil to assure the rings are seated and the cylinder wear in correctly.

I do not agree with the changing the filter at 500 miles. Not something that will harm anything, just unnecessary.

I do agree that the oil should not be changed at 500. Leave the factory oil in for about 3000, regular interval for most, to assure good break-in. (I use 3,000 miles for a change simply because I am used to that, and oil is inexpensive.)

·
Registered
192 Posts
There absolutely will be "contaminates" in a brand new engine. A new engine will have "rough" surfaces that will be worn "smooth" during the break-in period. Different engines will produce different amounts of these particles. The filter replacement suggestion is made to ensure that those metal flakes do not clog a new filter. A filter with a lot of particles in it may flow less than originally designed. Low flow rates and oil do not go together well. It may not be necessary, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Do NOT change the oil at 500 miles. Filter only, if inclined.

thulchatt -- I would leave the original oil in a little longer than 3,000. This will allow the engine to better "wear in" properly. Somewhere around 5K or 7K for the first oil change. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
585 Posts
More than just your opinion, cmt4; Honda recommends the first oil change at 7.5k miles. Some have speculated (or was there proof?) that Honda may have put some special additives in the first batch of 'factory' oil to ensure proper break-in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
cmt4
Thanks for your concerns, but there are not contaminates in engins anymore. That is old school thinking. If there were the particles that you describe, the first oil change would be recommended much sooner. Even a good rebuild should not have anything that would require a new filter in 500 miles.

As far as the longer period on the breakin, 500 miles will breakin almost any engin. My other care is a 92 300ZX. I have worked with people on these cars that have rebuilt to over 500 hp, with 10s of thousands invested, and they use 500 miles as the standard and have not problems. So 3,000 should be fine.

Bottem line for me, changing the filter at 500 will not hurt anything and will make some people feel better. So do it if you want.
Breakin happens much before 7500, but leaving the original oil in that long will not hurt either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all,
Thanks for all the advice. My wife and I have used this page for all our Honda help. We are now at 1500 miles and wondering about the oil issues. Sounds like just waiting to do it all at 3k will work out. I think the mannual said 7.5k but that seems a little long. Any thoughts?
BEP

·
Registered
200 Posts
BEP,

There has been a lot of discussion about the first oil change mileage with regard to the break-in oil issue. I recently did our first oil change at the 7500 mile mark and used 5W-30 (our Ody is an '01) Mobil 1 synthetic after reading the discussions. I searched on "oil" through primarily the maintenance section to find the threads. Using this less restricted search also allowed me to find the discussion about synthetic vs. dino because that seemed to factor into the opinions about oil change intervals.

Good luck on your decision,

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

1 - 8 of 8 Posts