Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, on Saturday The Warden and I will be traveling almost exactly 275 miles one way, to pick up our oldest 2 sons from camp. From near Montgomery, AL to the north-east GA mountains and back, in one day.

It makes the wife anxious when I let her know that I'm going to try to make such a trip on one tank, and I feel the need to repay The Warden for those occasions when she returns the Ody home at or near 0 Range, and then asks me to filler up when I'm out. :rolleyes: How considerate! :-D

This trip should be a worst case scenario. Full A/C the whole way there and back, 10% ethanol, stopping to go T-T every 15 minutes, etc. I expect 24 mpg or less.

Will I make it, or will I be thumbing it on the side of the interstate?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
You'll even be pointing it into the wind with a heavier load going back.....you might as well fill it at 350 miles and not risk hitting a traffic jam with a load of stinky kids and no a/c.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Mister, you are flirting with Danger.

I capitalized it, because that will be the Warden's middle name.

Overfill that thing as much as you can. I think you can make it, if you do it that way.

OF

·
Registered
81 Posts
One tank for 550 miles with A/C on? You are not going to make it. Let's get real, even you topping off your tank like some crazy peoples do, I think it is only about 20 gal. That will means you need to get 27.5 MPG in order to make it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I drove to Western PA from Northwest Indiana on June 12th, 430 miles and made it without filling up. The light came on about 20 miles from my destination. I gritted my teeth and kept going, hoping for the best. Otherwise, the wife would never let me hear the end of it. Got to our destination and filled up with 17.5 gallons of 87 octane. Could have gone another 65-70 miles--maybe? I always set the fill handle on the slowest setting. When it kicks off, I add 1/2 of a gallon more. So I get consistency. Trying for 550 miles on one tank may be a problem. Maybe you can coast down the hills. Ha. Good Luck!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Put your tires at 44 psi :) (kidding):D

·
Registered
186 Posts
you could always pack a extra couple of gallons in a sealed heavy duty container. ,, just for backup,, NOT a lawn gas mower gas can,, A SEALED BUSTPROFF container,, yes they make them,,,

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stupidpig said:
One tank for 550 miles with A/C on? You are not going to make it. Let's get real, even you topping off your tank like some crazy peoples do, I think it is only about 20 gal. That will means you need to get 27.5 MPG in order to make it.
I put 607 miles on one tank (do a search on here), but that was optimum conditions. This trek will be NOT optimum conditions. We'll see. :D

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
curiousgeorge2 said:
Put your tires at 44 psi :) (kidding):D
That was done long ago, always run them at 44 psi.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Hunter S. Thompson, on airing up the tires (a lot) on The Great Red Shark (his Cadillac) in his classic Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas:

At first I thought it was only because the tires were soft, so I took it into the Texaco station next to the Flamingo and had the tires pumped up to fifty pounds each-which alarmed the attendant, until I explained that these were "experimental" tires. But fifty pounds each didn't help the cornering, so I went back a few hours later and told him I wanted to try seventy five. He shook his head nervously.

"Not me," he said, handing me the air hose. "Here. They're your tires. You do it."

"What's wrong?" I asked. "You think they can't take seventy-five?" He nodded, moving away as I stooped to deal with the left front.

"You're damn right," he said. "Those tires want twenty eight in the front and thirty two in the rear. Hell, fifty's dangerous, but seventy five is crazy. They'll explode!"

I shook my head and kept filling the left front. "I told you," I said, "Sandoz laboratories designed these tires. They're special. I could load them up to a hundred."

"God almighty!" he groaned. "Don't do that here."

"Not today," I replied. "I want to see how they corner with seventy-five."

He chuckled. "You won't even get to the corner, Mister."

"We'll see," I said, moving around to the rear with the air-hose. In truth, I was nervous. The two front ones were tighter than snare drums; they felt like teak wood when I tapped on them with the rod. But what the hell? I thought. If they explode, so what? It's not often that a man gets a chance to run terminal experiments on a virgin Cadillac and four brand- new $80 tires. For all I knew, the thing might start cornering like a Lotus Elan.

OF

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
MISSION COMPLETE!

Well, I managed to do it, with 9 miles to spare. I did AT LEAST 5 mph over the speed limit everywhere. I kept the A/C blaring the whole time. I did about 30 minutes of off highway, gravel road lumbering.

Here are the numbers and I'll try to attach pictures.

TRIP A: 554.9
AVERAGE FUEL A: 24.0 MPG
AVERAGE SPEED: 62 mph
ELAPSED TIME: 08h 59m
RANGE: 9 miles

If your van has the Avg Speed info (I'm not sure if the non-Touring's have that data), you will note that 62 mph is much higher than most average speeds for a tank. Confirming that was most all highway & speeds at 75 mph or so.

I didn't think I was going to make it when I was around 100 miles from home.

Anyway, crazy JyRO does it again!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mission Complete...

Picture #2

Attachments

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mission Complete...

Picture #3

Attachments

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Mission Complete...

Picture #4

Attachments

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mission Complete...

Picture #5

Attachments

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mission Complete...

Picture #6 (last picture)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
That's what you get when you load up the tires with Hunter S. Thompson.:D

I'm on my 4th consecutive tank of primarily in-town driving that is going to break 400 miles, and I just may see how much I can go past that.

OF

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will be headed from Mobile to Huntsville this weekend. Now my ODY is brand new and this will be our first trip so with minimal break in I am expecting crappy MPG.
I might just see how far I can go just for fun...

·
Registered
46 Posts
By my calculations, you had to have at least 23.1 gallons of gas in the tank bare minimum. My tank is 21 gallons as per the manual. You must have had to fill it to overflowing. My problem with driving long distance just to see how far I can go on a tank of gas is watching the gas prices at the stations as I drive by. Sometimes, the gas is such a good price, I have to stop. There is a little bird on my shoulder that keeps saying: Cheap, Cheap, in my ear. It is hard for me not to stop for a bargain.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
diligence said:
By my calculations, you had to have at least 23.1 gallons of gas in the tank bare minimum. My tank is 21 gallons as per the manual. You must have had to fill it to overflowing. My problem with driving long distance just to see how far I can go on a tank of gas is watching the gas prices at the stations as I drive by. Sometimes, the gas is such a good price, I have to stop. There is a little bird on my shoulder that keeps saying: Cheap, Cheap, in my ear. It is hard for me not to stop for a bargain.
diligence - You are correct. I topped it off, FOR REAL. My tank is also 21.0 gallon as per the manual, but I have put almost 24 gallons in mine. Check THIS out.

Let's do some more math. Let's say you're driving along on about half a tank and you spot a phonomenon (not sure that's spelled correctly) gas station with gas $0.10 cheaper than your normally cheapest location. You stop and get 10 more gallons (~half a tank). You just saved ... $1.00 ($0.10 over 10 gallons).

To me, that's insignificant. I always buy a specific brand and get a 5% discount on it. 5% on $2.599 a gallon gas is $0.13 per gallon discount. This too is not an overall huge savings, but is enough that I don't worry about stopping at cheapie gas stations.

FWIW

1 - 20 of 25 Posts