Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I purchased a 12' Elite back in June of 2020... Cylinder 3 had a misfire shortly after and it threw a check engine light. I replaced the coil. Issue resolved.

Fast forward a few weeks, and Cylinder 3 had a misfire again, I replaced all of them plugs. Issue resolved.

Fast forward a few months and I was getting a misfire, most notably when the engine was under a load, but it was not throwing a code. (I thought that was odd), either way, this time I changed all of the coils.

With new coils and new plugs, today on a cold start I was greeted to Cylinder 1 not firing at all. I pulled my roughly 5k miles plug and it was gunked up black. See picture (below).

What's the deal? Do I need to get the adaptor the stops the car from going into ECO mode or do I have a bigger problem on my hands?

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,223 Posts
Welcome to Odyclub!

Easy fix - get a VCM disable device and 6 new spark plugs and that will never happen again. And the original coils were probably fine, though it is possible for misfires to damage them.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
+1 on disabling that VCM before it does more damage.
It's a very well known design flaw.
Do some reading....countless threads on here if you do an advanced search, for VCM Muzzle, or VCMuzzler or VCMTunerII

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,197 Posts
Wow... definitely a result of VCM. Fouled plugs after only 5K miles... get a Muzzler ASAP.

·
Registered
2007 EX / 172K miles
63 Posts
Where did you purchase your spark plugs? Lots of fakes on eBay and Amazon... and they look real until you compare them side to side with the real thing. Be sure to only purchase them from your local auto parts store. Use the search box and check out posts regarding Fake NGK Spark Plugs if you did purchase yours from eBay or Amazon.

NOTE: I do not have VCM on my 2007 EX, so that is something that I have never had to deal with.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,197 Posts
RockAuto is also a reliable source for spark plugs and usually cheaper than auto parts stores. They have full control of their supply chain and there are no reports of fake plugs coming from there.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
RockAuto is also a reliable source for spark plugs and usually cheaper than auto parts stores. They have full control of their supply chain and there are no reports of fake plugs coming from there.
much cheaper...

my nephew replaced 4 plugs in his accord, the local parts place charged him 60 bux for just regular platinum, not even iridium.

told him about rockauto, kids a hard head.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,001 Posts
I managed to get 4 NGK iridium plugs for my Accord for 60$ total at AutoZone.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,197 Posts
I paid about $25 for 4 Denso plugs from RockAuto about two years ago for my Camry, but they were double platinum plugs, not iridium. The 6 NGK iridium plugs for the Odyssey cost me about $50 last year from RockAuto. I wasn't able to find them cheaper anywhere else.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Where did you purchase your spark plugs? Lots of fakes on eBay and Amazon... and they look real until you compare them side to side with the real thing. Be sure to only purchase them from your local auto parts store. Use the search box and check out posts regarding Fake NGK Spark Plugs if you did purchase yours from eBay or Amazon.

NOTE: I do not have VCM on my 2007 EX, so that is something that I have never had to deal with.
His photo clearly indicates oil fouling most likely caused by VCM. While nobody wants fake plugs from Amazon or eBay, I'm not sure what that has to do with his obvious oil fouled plugs. Even a genuine NGK plug will foul out quickly with dirty rings caused by VCM.

Reactions: sthpawil

·
Registered
2007 EX / 172K miles
63 Posts
While nobody wants fake plugs from Amazon or eBay, I'm not sure what that has to do with his obvious oil fouled plugs.
In case he will be putting in new spark plugs again, it was just a friendly reminder to beware of the fake plugs out there. I had the same ////JAPAN//// stamping seen in his picture on the side of counterfeiter plugs that I had purchased from eBay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts