Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to become a first-time Odyssey owner, and ideally I would like to buy a new 2019 model. However, I have potential concerns regarding some 5th Generation reliability ratings I've seen. Consumer Reports has been my long-trusted source for vehicle reviews and they rank the 2018-2019 Odyssey as "far below average" in reliability, while many prior model-year reviews were excellent. Obviously this is just one source, but quite surprising to see.

I know there's been a few recalls for 2018/2019 models, but aside from those I'm unsure what other problems folks may be experiencing in the reliability category.

Safer bet to stick with a 2017? Any advice/insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks -

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've got a 2011 with 130k on the clock and plan to trade for a 2019 EX. Seems like most concerns in the Consumer Reports review were electrical, I think related to Entertainment System? I've also seen a lot of complaints about the 9ZF Transmission and lousy AC that are unnerving.

That said, the Pacifica has it's share of problems too and the Sienna, while reliable, has dismal safety ratings. I'll probably settle for another Ody and take an extra long look at the HondaCare plans online.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,289 Posts
If reliability is the only thing that matters, I'd say it's no contest - a good 2017 is the way to go. Far less complex machine than the 2018+ models. The last year of a well-sorted generation is usually going to have fewer problems than the first year of a brand-new design.

Is it really true that only reliability is important? As much as I love our 2015 and have no intention to exchange it for a gen 5 model, there really is lots to recommend about the newer vans.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How does the Sienna have "dismal safety ratings"? Compared to what - a tank?
I'm a child of the late 1970's - I had no car seats and barely lap belts!
The 5th gen Odyssey was a disappointment to me: poor AC function (esp for me in hot/humid SC) - no rear AC evaporator/no ceiling vents, loss of ground clearance/very low to the ground, smaller interior room, STILL has VCM, STILL has a timing belt, etc etc - LOTS of cost cutting/engineering laziness.
I've been an exclusive Honda buyer since 1991 - no more.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I know there's been a few recalls for 2018/2019 models, but aside from those I'm unsure what other problems folks may be experiencing in the reliability category.
Personally - none, with 10K miles on my MY'19 Elite!
I waiting for the second production year of the Ody, and the bugs may have been worked out over those in the launch model year '18 (to be avoided with all cars).

I've heard of others complaining about RES (entertainment screen) issues, but I hardly ever use it, relying on Android Auto and phone infotainment & navigation instead (which works perfectly).

10-speed tranny has been great, AC is perfect for humid 98+F NJ summers (I don't care how many evaporators it has - it just works). Mileage and tech features are far improved over my MY'10 EXL. Acceleration is improved.

LKAS and ACC are not at Tesla's AutoPilot level, but they do help on highway-bound road trips. LKAS is flaky, and useless off highway. ACC works perfectly, unless you get caught in a snow storm and snow builds up over the front radar, at which point cruise control quits altogether.

Safer bet to stick with a 2017? Any advice/insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks -
I never bought a new generation car that was not an improvement on the older generation car.
Not from Honda, not from BMW, VW, or Mercedes.

Unless you are shopping for a classic car :), going with an older generation of a vehicle would be a disappointment. But it would be cheaper.

HTH,
a

·
Registered
543 Posts
I am on the same perspective as@bfadeev . Also in NJ and had my '19 Elite for the last 12months (almost) and have over 23K on the ODO. No issues and the two recalls, timing belt and transmission, have both been addressed the same day.

My wife commutes approximately 60miles a day in the van and yet to see the ice build up over the sensor.
My son watches his favorite shows on the RES via a USB memory stick and it has been of no issue.
AC is cold and gets turned down after few minutes of it running.
We do not use the onboard navigation, only Google Maps, so no issues there either.
Auto cruise is annoying and the slowdown and pickup is rather abrupt. Any trips longer than 2-hrs, I drive and I do not use the Auto cruise.

That said, we have a family member (wife's cousin) with a 2016 Ody and they have had some 'issues'. I personally maintain the vehicle and do not take the van to dealership for regular scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How does the Sienna have "dismal safety ratings"? Compared to what - a tank?
I'm a child of the late 1970's - I had no car seats and barely lap belts!
The 5th gen Odyssey was a disappointment to me: poor AC function (esp for me in hot/humid SC) - no rear AC evaporator/no ceiling vents, loss of ground clearance/very low to the ground, smaller interior room, STILL has VCM, STILL has a timing belt, etc etc - LOTS of cost cutting/engineering laziness.
I've been an exclusive Honda buyer since 1991 - no more.
drfranklin:
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) is often publicized as the gold standard evaluator for vehicle safety. The IIHS rates the Odyssey and the Pacifica as "Top Safety Picks." The Sienna is next to the last among minivans, just above the Dodge Caravan.
See: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/class-summary/minivans
or do a search for other vehicle safety testing sites.

·
Registered
543 Posts
In all honesty, the current Sienna started its life when our G4 Odyssey hit the market (approximately). Though we have a G5 now for the last two years, the Sienna is still pushing on basically unchanged. I remember when the Sienna was pitted against the other vans, it held the top safety pick due to the available crash mitigation system. At that time, we did not have the headlight performance, nor the passenger side small overlap. The optional crash mitigation available in the G4 Odyssey (2017) was much more inferior than the 2017 Sienna.

The June 2019 sales report shows the Sienna selling 7,163 units while the Odyssey sold 9,202 units. Same time in 2018 Sienna sold 7,101 units while the Odyssey was 9,923. Rather unchanged for the Sienna (0.9%+) Odyssey dropped almost 7.3%. I still wonder if the Sienna has a Gen 4 coming up (though the 2020 is out)..

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have a 2019 Elite(Touring in canada). Have 2 recalls to get to and had the noise cancelling device replaced. Love the van no issues with AC or RES and we use it every day. We'll see how long term works out, but I'm not worried.

Also have a 2015 crv touring. People were scared of that in the same way when it was released. 4 years later 53k miles (85k kms) not one issue other than the idle vibration fix.

Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking to become a first-time Odyssey owner, and ideally I would like to buy a new 2019 model. However, I have potential concerns regarding some 5th Generation reliability ratings I've seen. Consumer Reports has been my long-trusted source for vehicle reviews and they rank the 2018-2019 Odyssey as "far below average" in reliability, while many prior model-year reviews were excellent. Obviously this is just one source, but quite surprising to see.

I recently bought a 2019 EX-L and I have noticed electrical issues. Most have to do with the entertainment console. For example, randomly the SiriusXM radio will just cease working and it’s not a coverage thing. It won’t be until you turn the car off and on again will it work. The Apple CarPlay will sometimes not work or just stop working. Luckily, nothing mechanical at this point, but only 3,500 miles in.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Transmission change starting with the 2018's ! My transmission failed at 74k miles ( abt 350 miles daily on highway). Was given a 2019 loaner while mine was at the dealer... the trans made the same noise mine did. This is my 4th Odyssey, and my last ! Huge void in quality. If you can find a real clean 2014-2016, go for it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've got a 2011 with 130k on the clock and plan to trade for a 2019 EX. Seems like most concerns in the Consumer Reports review were electrical, I think related to Entertainment System? I've also seen a lot of complaints about the 9ZF Transmission and lousy AC that are unnerving.

That said, the Pacifica has it's share of problems too and the Sienna, while reliable, has dismal safety ratings. I'll probably settle for another Ody and take an extra long look at the HondaCare plans online.
Don't do it! The transmission in my 2018 EX failed at 74k miles (I'm on the road every day, mostly highway. The service writer mentioned that they were beginning to see a lot of issues with the trans. We have owned 12 Hondas over the last 20 years, including 4 Odyssey's. I know my cars, and this transmission thing is going to be widespread.
BTW... $6200 for a new trans!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't do it! The transmission in my 2018 EX failed at 74k miles (I'm on the road every day, mostly highway. The service writer mentioned that they were beginning to see a lot of issues with the trans. We have owned 12 Hondas over the last 20 years, including 4 Odyssey's. I know my cars, and this transmission thing is going to be widespread.
BTW... $6200 for a new trans!
Why isn't this covered under warranty?

·
Registered
272 Posts
In my case, I had so many issues with my 9 spd (dangerous potentially accident causing issues) that I was willing to take a hit and got rid of my 2018 EX-L and trade it in for a Sienna instead. Best decision ever made. I would not touch the 9 spd again with a 100ft pole... That's just my experience though, and others here have had great experience with it, just not me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transmission change starting with the 2018's ! My transmission failed at 74k miles ( abt 350 miles daily on highway). Was given a 2019 loaner while mine was at the dealer... the trans made the same noise mine did. This is my 4th Odyssey, and my last ! Huge void in quality. If you can find a real clean 2014-2016, go for it!
I recently purchased my 2019 Honda Ody exl. on July 28th and I am in love with it! it has been a little under a week and its has about 300 miles on it and I have not had one issue yet! just to be safe we did purchase a warranty to cover the vehicle from head to toe for 7 yrs or 120,000 miles. This is my 1st ever minivan purchase but this minivan is so much more refined and sensible and very well put together than the sienna which we almost purchased. We did not get the entertainment package because this vehicle came with android auto so we use the Waze app for navigation and we bought a tablet for the children and downloaded movies from netflix instead of having the tv while they would most likely never use. We also got the weather techfloor liners to keep it clean and seat protectors to go under the carseats to protect the leather. All the new features inside are so amazing and easy to use! the seats are extremely comfortable! I will forever only buy the honda ody

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,795 Posts
May your good fortune extend beyond the first 300 miles.
Agreed! Benimoff will be the first :). Just kidding.

My Ody has been trouble-free. The big let down is with the dumb design features and an engine that is starting to knock again, despite a three day, short block change over. The ride is super nice, as is the handling. Too bad there's all this other crap.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts