Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ripped this off from someone elses post on another forum and found it interesting reading. It's from EXXON and explains a bit about the 5W-20 move on Honda and Fords part.
Maybe something similar has already been posted, I didn't look.

-Mark
'02 EX-L
'96 Maxima SE
'87 Honda mower
------------------------------------------
5W-20 OIL SPEC'S
SUPERFLO Super Premium Passenger Car Engine Oil
SUPERFLO 5W-20 represents a new quality level for passenger car engine oils. It is engineered to meet the proposed ILSAC GF-3 and API SL standards and is designed specifically for model year 2001 Ford and Honda Accord and Civic vehicles.
¨
Meets warranty requirements for model year 2001 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles except those with 4.0L V6 and 3.9 L V8 engines
Meets warranty requirements 1998-2001 model year Honda Accord and 1996-2001 Honda Civic
¨ Is not recommended for vehicles other than those mentioned above
¨ New 5W-20 grade offers improved fuel economy over conventional grades.
¨ Uses new low volatility basestock for reduced oil consumption and emissions
¨ Licensed against API SJ and ILSAC GF-2
¨ Meets Ford Engineering Material Specification WSS-M2C153-H
¨ Passed double length Sequence IIIE oxidation test which demonstrates significantly improved oil life over previous generation oils
¨ Exceeds the proposed industry API SL standard for the Thermal Engine Oil Stability Test (TEOST MHT-4) .
Primary Applications
SUPERFLO 5W-20 has been developed for the latest model year Ford and Honda gasoline vehicles to improve fuel economy and reduce high temperature engine deposits.
Although most late model North American built cars specify an SAE 5W-30 grade engine oil for use year-round, Ford and Honda have selected an SAE 5W-20 grade as the preferred grade for their vehicles to reduce fuel consumption. Extensive field testing by the engine manufacturers have demonstrated that there is no compromise in engine durability in gong to this fuel saving oil grade.
Superflo 5W-20 has been engineered to meet the proposed ILSAC GF-3 and API SL improved oil standards.

Next Generation Oil Standards
The current oil categories that are approved and licensed by API are ILSAC GF-2 and API SJ. For the last 3 years the industry has been developing an upgrade to these categories to be called ILSAC GF-3 and API SL. These new standards have significantly improved fuel economy and improved high temperature deposit performance. They have been delayed from the Jan 2000 initial proposed timing and may not be licensed until late 2001.
However, these proposed categories offer performance advantages that Ford and Honda chose to use in most of their 2001 model year cars. Superflo 5W-20 is engineered to meet this new quality level and is supplied as factory fill for some of these 2001 model year cars.

Performance Features
Fuel Economy
SUPERFLO 5W-20 contains a potent friction modifier system for improved fuel economy to meet the new standard proposed in ILSAC GF-3. This is significantly higher than the current standard in ILSAC GF-2
Excellent Engine Wear
SUPERFLO 5W-20 contains effective anti-wear additives that minimize wear and scuffing of heavily loaded parts such as the valve train.
Deposit Control/Engine Cleanliness
The detergent-dispersant additive system in SUPERFLO 5W-20 has passed a double length Sequence IIIE test demonstrating that it can minimizes ring zone deposits, ring sticking and liner scuffing. The potent additive system in SUPERFLO 5W-20 also prevents sludge formation that can lead to plugged oil filters and screens, stuck valve lifters and other related problems.
Maximize Oil Drain
SUPERFLO 5W-20 contains potent oxidation inhibitors to retard oil breakdown and reduce varnish and lacquer deposits.
Low Temperature Performance
SUPERFLO 5W-20 exceeds the low temperature requirements of 5W engine oils ensuring that adequate oil flows to critical engine components during start-up.
Improved Catalyst Compatibility
SUPERFLO 5W-20 is formulated with an additive package that is designed to protect the exhaust catalyst ensuring reliable operation.
Lower Volatility
SUPERFLO 5W-20 is formulated against the proposed ILSAC GF-3 requirements to protect the emission system and minimize oil consumption.
High Temperature Foam
SUPERFLO 5W-20 meets the new foam requirement, ensuring your engine is protected from wear in high engine speed accelerations.

Precautions
Superflo 5W-20 is manufactured from high quality petroleum basestocks, carefully blended with selected additives. As with all petroleum products, good personal hygiene and careful handling should always be practiced. Avoid prolonged contact to skin, splashing into the eyes, ingestion or vapour inhalation. Special care is also recommended in handling used motor oils. An ESSO Service Data Sheet entitled "Safe Handling of Used Motor Oils" is available on request from your ESSO Representative. Please refer to our ESSO Material Safety Data Sheet for further information.
Note: This product is not controlled under Canadian WHMIS legislation

·
Registered
165 Posts
Great, now where do we find it?? Tried Pep Boys, but no go. Finally ordered from hondapartsforyou.com. (Fair Honda, Danbury CT. I believe) $1.76/qt., free shipping. They also have all other Honda parts for discount. Gotta call though, only few are shown on the website. Wish I knew about them when I did the brakes on the Civic..

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm having trouble finding it around here too, and with the wife taking a very long trip I'll have to do the first oil change in a couple of weeks. 1.76 seems pricey for what I normally pay, is anyone able to buy it locally and is it cheaper than 1.76? I figured that mail ordering oil would be a problem due to state taxes, but I guess not.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ordering from a different state results in no state sales tax. Add the free shipping and although 1.76 is higher than my usual .89 - 1.09, it's not that bad. And remember, you are getting "official" Honda oil in the correct weight.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by turnipgreen:
I'm having trouble finding it around here too, and with the wife taking a very long trip I'll have to do the first oil change in a couple of weeks. 1.76 seems pricey for what I normally pay, is anyone able to buy it locally and is it cheaper than 1.76? I figured that mail ordering oil would be a problem due to state taxes, but I guess not.</font>
"Advance Auto Parts" carries 5W-20 ($1.29 qt) in both Texaco Havoline and Shell around here. Target doesn't though. Those are the only two places I've checked so far. Pennzoil also makes 5W-20. More will become availble as usage becomes more wide spread like 5W-30 did.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I actually put some effort into it yesterday. Found some at Autozone, but Castrol was 1.79 with Havoline at 1.49. We have Advance Auto here too, I'll give them a try. I wonder if any of the big stores (Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc) will be carrying it anytime soon? I'll ask the next time I'm in one.

·
Registered
165 Posts
1.76 no tax or shipping via mail order, not to mention Honda oil filters for ~4.00, without leaving my chair is looking better and better...

·
Registered
192 Posts
1.76 is starting to look better to me as well, at least at prices around here. Called Advance Auto Parts and they only sell Havoline for 1.79, Walmart actually carries Motorcraft, at 1.77.

I had already ordered my filters from hondapartsforyou.com, and just emailed them about oil. I guess you were right, at least until more places start to carry 5w-20.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought 2 cases of Exxon 5W20 from R&S Strass for $12/case (12 in a case) last week. They have a lot in the NYC area.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Man! That stuff sound almost as good as Mobil 1 5-30!

Flame suit on...

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV) - currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) - The most fun you can have with a box full of electrons.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
Man! That stuff sound almost as good as Mobil 1 5-30!

Flame suit on...

</font>

<center>
<font color=pink><font size=-5>

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 12-27-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
Oh man! Thanks for that shot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
May I borrow that "flame suit" picture?

That's too cool!

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe - Titanium
http://fiveoh.homestead.com/main.html

·
Registered
564 Posts
Heck...we're supposed to ask? I already stole it!

·
Registered
165 Posts
gtse, I have not seen an RS Strauss since I left Brooklyn. I grew up there. Sure do miss the Calamari and little necks at Randazzos.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gtse:
In fact at the bottom of each Exxon case, there is $3 rebate coupon.</font>
At $12/case of 12 plus the $3 rebate, how can you miss? Now I have to see if anyone around here sells Exxon 5w20 oil and hope they price similarly. I don't remmember seeing Exxon oils in this area.
Texaco Havoline is priced all over the place particularly when on sale at Target at 89 cents/qt for the 5w30. Hopefully Target will carry 5w20 soon and put it on sale too.
I'll have to request it next time I'm in shopping.

------------------
'02 Ody EX-L(Mods: still considering options).
'96 Maxima SE(Mods: FSTB, RSTB, RSB, Winter Blizzaks on GXE rims).
'87 Honda mower(No mods).

·
Registered
169 Posts
I got a case of oil from Pennzoil. I hope it just as good. I really want to use Mobil 1 instead.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts