Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some stuff from HondaParts4You this morning; cargo tray ($56.78), CD changer cartidge , oil filters (6 for $27 with 6 plug gaskets included) & oil filter wrench ($17.76). The slightly higher prices (except the cargo tray), vs. Handa, were more than ofset by no shipping charge. I have to pay Connecticut state tax (6%), but I still think I got a good deal. Plus, I will get it the next day vs. 1 week for Handa (from California).

After I hung up the phone I realized I still hadn't found 5W-20 oil! I called them back, my order was still open. I asked if they shipped oil. He said yes! The local Honda dealer wants $2.48 a quart!! He said their price was $1.76/quart. I asked if a case (12 quarts) would be less, he lowered the price to $1.60/quart for 2 cases!! Plus free shipping!! How much should it cost to ship 2 cases of oil, maybe 1/3 of what it's worth!! The Ody takes 5 quarts and my Civic 4 quarts, 2 cases will almost be enough for 3 oil changes for each.

I asked how long the free shipping will last, he said soon they will be charging a small shiiping fee on non popular items. Also the price on the cargo tray will be going up! Get yours now!!

------------------
2002 EP LX
1998 Civic DX, Cyclone Blue Metallic

Previous Hondas:
1992 Civic LX, Red
1987 Prelude, Gray (totaled in 2000 w/188k miles)
1978 Accord, Red

Other cars:
1982 Ford EXP (We all make mistakes!)
1969 Olds Delta 88 (with 10 speed bike in back seat in case it broke down)

Other:
2000 Yardman mower with a Honda engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DWF:
I ordered some stuff from HondaParts4You this morning; cargo tray ($56.78), CD changer cartidge , oil filters (6 for $27 with 6 plug gaskets included) & oil filter wrench ($17.76). The slightly higher prices (except the cargo tray), vs. Handa, were more than offset by no shipping charge. I have to pay Connecticut state tax (6%), but I still think I got a good deal. Plus, I will get it the next day vs. 1 week for Handa (from California).

After I hung up the phone I realized I still hadn't found 5W-20 oil! I called them back, my order was still open. I asked if they shipped oil. He said yes! The local Honda dealer wants $2.48 a quart!! He said their price was $1.76/quart. I asked if a case (12 quarts) would be less, he lowered the price to $1.60/quart for 2 cases!! Plus free shipping!! How much should it cost to ship 2 cases of oil, maybe 1/3 of what it's worth!! The Ody takes 5 quarts and my Civic 4 quarts, 2 cases will almost be enough for 3 oil changes for each.

I asked how long the free shipping will last, he said soon they will be charging a small shiiping fee on non popular items. Also the price on the cargo tray will be going up! Get yours now!!
</font>
OOPS!! Clicked reply instead of edit!

------------------
2002 EP LX
1998 Civic DX, Cyclone Blue Metallic

Previous Hondas:
1992 Civic LX, Red
1987 Prelude, Gray (totaled in 2000 w/188k miles)
1978 Accord, Red

Other cars:
1982 Ford EXP (We all make mistakes!)
1969 Olds Delta 88 (with 10 speed bike in back seat in case it broke down)

Other:
2000 Yardman mower with a Honda engine.

[This message has been edited by DWF (edited 02-01-2002).]

·
Registered
171 Posts
I bought Castrol GTX 5W-20 from my local Kragen store. It was on sale for $1.29 with a $6 rebate per case. Net cost - $0.79/qt. Gotta look for those deals!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am aware this 5W-20 oil has been discussed fully. I am about ready for my 2nd oil change on my '02 EXL. I used dino 5W-20 on the first change. I am convinced on the value of synthetic oil but don't want to pay extreme prices for oil. I did see Ford has a simi-synthetic at Walmart. This may be my best bet. I guess Mobil1 is not going to make a 5-20.
If any one has knowledge of a better solution please let me know.
Thanks!
A.B. Hair

·
Registered
128 Posts
Using regular oil and a cheap filter, you can change your oil for about 7 bucks.

A full synthetic change with an oem filter is about 20 bucks (if you do it yourself). This is about the same cost most Jiffy Lube type outfits will charge you. So there is one "break even" argument.

Some don't buy into the evidence of superiority that favors synthetic. Unless you drive extreme miles, that synthetic oil change will last you three to four months. Our Ody burns 20 bucks of fuel a WEEK, though we never think twice about filling up.

If you think you will trade your Ody before 100K miles, you may not see the benefit of the investment in synthetics, but you never know! Finances may force you to keep the car longer than you planned. I tend to "use up" my cars, so for me the use of synthetic is a given and not even debatable.

If I would buy a used car and the owner showed me convincing evidence that oil changes have been synthetic, that car would be worth more to me. I had the benefit of that when I sold our Accord that preceeded our Ody.

Using synthetic is the cheapest investment you can make to enhance engine life. If Honda had not put such "funny" ATF in our transmission, my tranny fluid would be syntec as well.

/soapbox off

John

·
Registered
69 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by A. B. Hair:
I am aware this 5W-20 oil has been discussed fully. I am about ready for my 2nd oil change on my '02 EXL. I used dino 5W-20 on the first change. I am convinced on the value of synthetic oil but don't want to pay extreme prices for oil. I did see Ford has a simi-synthetic at Walmart. This may be my best bet. I guess Mobil1 is not going to make a 5-20.
If any one has knowledge of a better solution please let me know.
Thanks!
A.B. Hair
</font>
Greetings from Ft. Inn. Like you, I used dino for the first change. From then on, it's Mobil-1 5w-30. I considered dino every 3000 miles versus synthetic every 7500 miles. The math works for me, and I'm not under the van as often.

I realize for 2002 the oil spec lightened to 5w-20, but with a synthetic, I would not rule out 5w-30.

------------------
Ben
2001 LX, GG, mud guards, cargo tray, keyless remote, CD player, Blaupunkt speakers

·
Registered
273 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by back2earth:
Greetings from Ft. Inn. Like you, I used dino for the first change. From then on, it's Mobil-1 5w-30. I considered dino every 3000 miles versus synthetic every 7500 miles. The math works for me, and I'm not under the van as often.

I realize for 2002 the oil spec lightened to 5w-20, but with a synthetic, I would not rule out 5w-30.

</font>
To Ben in Fountain Inn, I did use Moble1 5W30 in my '99 EX. I am really afraid to use less that the recommended 5W-20. I am geting very good mileage and I am told this was one reason for the change.
Glad to know there is a Odyclub member in the area. I live in Powdersville just off SC 86. I now have an EXL SS '02. My E mail address is [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts