Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recv'd a mailing from Honda on various issues concerning the 2002 Odyssey. I misplaced it , but I believe it stated the oil should be 5W-30, posts here state it should be 5W-20.. which is correct...

Also found it interesting that Honda sent out mailing, must've been alot of questions/problems the company felt it needed to clarify. PP

·
Registered
86 Posts
Honda is very clear in all if its communications that 5-20 is the oil for the 2002. However, there has been considerable discussion here about people that feel 5-30 will be ok.

My guess is that you should be ok with either, but I will be using 5-20 and follow the manual.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just got a mailing on my 2002, it went over FAQ's on the RES, fuel door, etc.

One of the main things was that it stated that tire pressure should be 36psi and that the correct oil for 2002 in 5W-20.

Just FYI...

Scott

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you... I stand corrected... PP

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sgergen:
I just got a mailing on my 2002, it went over FAQ's on the RES, fuel door, etc.

One of the main things was that it stated that tire pressure should be 36psi and that the correct oil for 2002 in 5W-20.

Just FYI...

Scott
</font>

·
Registered
171 Posts
wallstreet123456 said:
I have had my n2002 Ody since Oct 01 and have never received a mailing from Honda. Must I call honda and request it?

Steven
I've also had my '02 Ody since October and haven't received anything. I imagine it would probably take awhile to reach all affected owners. I'd give it some more time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I stopped by my Honda dealer to pick up a couple quarts of oil to have on hand, I'm taking a trip in a couple weeks, asked for what they recommended for the 2002 Odyssey and they sold me 5w30 Honda brand oil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Within a month of taking our van home we recieved the mailing from Honda which specified 5W-20.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just got my first oil change @ Honda Dealer last week and they use 5W-20 oil on it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is there a contact person or phone number on any of these mailings people are getting from Honda? If so could someone post it so I can call and see why I am not getting the mailings.

Thanks,
Steven

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll look at mine. I bought my Ody last Wed (3/13) and got the letter yesterday (3/21).

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
5w-20 ONLY if you have an '02. No doubt about it. The Tips mailing most '02 owners recieved in the mail is very clear about that.

My question is, if the '01 can use 5w-30 as indicated by Honda in the letter scanned in elsewhere on this site, why can't the '02 use it, too? There can't be THAT much difference in the engines. I'd be willing to bet that the ONLY reason for the -20 oil is to meet fuel economy targets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I received my notice stating to us 5-20W on the 02. Just changed my oil and noticed that the oil filler cap indicates right on it to use 5-20 W.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If I recall correctly, the owners manual says the 5w30 can be used if 5w20 is not available. It also says that you should switch back to 5w20 at your next change. I will use 5w20 since I want to follow the maintenace schedule as stated by Honda but deep down I believe that the switch is to increase Honda's fleet MPG.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I do not think that they are very far from the truth.

Beside some minor changes to the intake & Exhaust setup on the Ody's 3.5L engine, it is basically the same engine internal parts as the 1999.

One word of caution, I would not put 20W50 oil in mine except if I plan to travel in Arizona in the middle of summer.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

RobertC
2000 Ody Ex

OdyTorresColon said:
Hi!

What about AMSOIL's rebuttal on 5W-20??

http://www.desertsundirectsales.com/ford5w20.htm

AMSOIL suggests getting the oil for free if it is required by manufacturer or dealer... something about the Federally mandated Magnuson - Moss Act :confused:

Edgar

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oil weight and EPA

The following letter from the EPA supports the idea that 5W20 is for fuel economy. The recommendation in the owner's manual and print on the oil fill cap is apparently required information for manufacturers to use 5W20 in MPG testing.

See the following EPA document

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Smokin' Gun!

Is that document real? If so, it makes it obvious that we are being bamboozled by the government for the sake of .5 mpg. As the owner of the vehicle, I want all the information so that I can choose for myself which characteristic I want. If I want longer engine life, I can choose one type of oil. If I want fuel economy, I can choose the other. The people should have all the facts, and the government has no business censoring the information. Given a choice between longevity and fractional mgp gains, which would you choose? Ah, that's why the government doesn't want the manufacturers to spill the beans that we actually have a choice!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Smoking Gun

That EPA letter is all the proof that anyone needs if they so desire to use 5W-30 oil instead of the "required" 5W-20. This letter shows that the only way the EPA was going to let Honda (and Ford for that matter) use a new weight oil, obstensibly to improve fuel enconomy, was if Honda shoved it down our throats and made it seem like there was no alternative.

It appears that Honda also must conduct surveys of the oil manufacturers after 2 years to determine if we, the "typical customer", are actually using enough 5W-20 to justify the EPA continuing to allow Honda and Ford to use 5W-20 to improve their fleet fuel economy numbers. I for one will not be using 5W-20, at least in the summer.

Hey people, if you live in hot climates and are concerned that 5W-20 is not sufficent for 110 degree summer days, the use of 5W-30 is NOT going to do any damage to your engine.

If your are concerned about warranty claims being denied, just keep a copy of this letter handy.

Kudos to bjmeyer for digging this up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
EPA letter.

I think the EPA letter is legitimate. I did a web search for "Gregory Green EPA" using Google, and found his e-mail address. I sent him an e-mail this afternoon, explaining some of the concerns that have come out on this list and asking for his comment. I will let you know if I hear back from him. I also intend to write a letter to Honda, asking for written permission to use 5W30 motor oil, or a clarification of why I should not use it.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts