Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just noticed honda is going to 0w-20 on the '11 ody, wonder if that would improve gas mileage.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sure it would. Mugen sells 0w20 as their "racing" oil & with increased CAFE standards, gotta squeeze every drop.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Probably also want to extend the oil change intervals to reduce the cost of ownership figures. The Honda 0w-20 is a semi-synthetic so they'll be able to recommend a longer run and set the monitor accordingly.

Won't significantly change mileage since at operating temp they are the same viscosity.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mileage minder comes on about 7000mi, regardless of mostly city driving or distance (we goto kansas/back, avg. 2000mi)

doesn't matter oil visocity or time frame.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
0W-20 will give better gas mileage in a cold engine. Whether or not the improvement will be measurable depends on how many cold starts you do per tankful.

Also, 0W-20 will lube a cold engine better and so reduce wear after startup. The Ody engine has no premature wear issues, so the real-world wear benefit may be only theoretical.

·
Registered
193 Posts
mileage minder comes on about 7000mi, regardless of mostly city driving or distance (we goto kansas/back, avg. 2000mi)

doesn't matter oil visocity or time frame.
I'm not saying the minder will "sense" the difference. I think they'll change the programming to reflect that more durable oil is now specified.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The real answer is probably they get it in bulk for a cheaper price. It may save a thimble full over the life of the van.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I live in Houston and have been using 0W-20 in my 2004 Oddy for about 6 months now. That said, because of all the heat we've been having down here, I thought about going back up to a 5W-20. Would moving back up to a 5W give it a little more thickness to help out with the heat or would that only be accomplished by moving from 20 to 30, which I wouldn't think of doing with this engine. Thoughts????

·
Registered
372 Posts
Excellent. Seems I'm ahead of Honda on this one.... I've been using 0W-20 full synthetic Amsoil since 2007 when the van was new.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
I live in Houston and have been using 0W-20 in my 2004 Oddy for about 6 months now. That said, because of all the heat we've been having down here, I thought about going back up to a 5W-20. Would moving back up to a 5W give it a little more thickness to help out with the heat or would that only be accomplished by moving from 20 to 30, which I wouldn't think of doing with this engine. Thoughts????
The 0W-20 is synthetic and will take the heat no problem. At operating temperature, they are both 20, so no difference there. A 5W-30 would be thicker as you said, but Honda doesn't recomment that grade. Stay with the 0W-20.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts