Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found that the dealer used 5W20 instead of 0W20 during last oil change. Ody was with previous owner when this happened. MM says 50% oil life left after ~4+K miles of driving.

Is it bad?
Should I be worried?
What are my options here?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
No big deal - just ride it out until it's time for your next oil change and go with 0W20 then. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you are in a cold area I'd go ahead and get the change. In a temperate or warm area, no problem.
It may interest you to note that the OLM cannot 'know' what viscosity, type or brand of oil is in the engine. It was programmed for 0W-20 synthetic-blend. If you go with full synthetic, it will still show you the same results as what was in it before.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Since the dealer installed the wrong grade oil, go back and ask for replacement with the correct oil. Perfectly reasonable IMHO.

If the incorrect 5W-20 oil was natural or semi-synthetic (only marginally better than natural), it's imperative that it be changed out. The correct 0W-20 is full synthetic. This is what your Maintenance Minder is programmed for. As mentioned above, the MM does not know if a non-spec oil is in the engine.

Engine oil in this generation does more than lubricate the engine. It also works as a hydraulic fluid (VCM), and also as a coolant. While it's probably not catastrophic to use a different oil from factory spec, it's chancy to second-guess the engineers who designed the engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the price of parts in the receipt it seems the natural 5W-20. I am thinking of changing to synthetic 0W-20 myself now.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it unless your temps drop below 0 degrees F. I go back and forth between 0w and 5w20 syn or blend depending on which one is on sale, and change every 5k miles (usually about 15-25% on the maintenance minder). Filter gets changed every other oil change, per Honda manual.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I personally would not worry about the 0 vs the 5 unless you live in Alaska.

But I would assume that the 5 (and the lower price that you noticed) means it is non-synthetic, and choose my oil change interval accordingly. (i.e., sooner than you'd do it if full synthetic was used)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Don't worry about it, change it and the filter again at 5-8K miles and you should be fine. The only viscosity difference between those oils will be a quite cold temps ~0F or there abouts. If you don't see much of those temps, don't worry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The lowest it went this winter is around 15 to 20F. Now I am down to 50% on MM. Once the weather warms up a bit, I will change it out. Has to work outdoor!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Since the dealer installed the wrong grade oil, go back and ask for replacement with the correct oil. Perfectly reasonable IMHO.

If the incorrect 5W-20 oil was natural or semi-synthetic (only marginally better than natural), it's imperative that it be changed out. The correct 0W-20 is full synthetic. This is what your Maintenance Minder is programmed for. As mentioned above, the MM does not know if a non-spec oil is in the engine.

Engine oil in this generation does more than lubricate the engine. It also works as a hydraulic fluid (VCM), and also as a coolant. While it's probably not catastrophic to use a different oil from factory spec, it's chancy to second-guess the engineers who designed the engine.
I don't think the OLM is programmed for synthetic. I believe the default oil is synthetic blend, at least on my 2015. It is of course possible that it has changed on later models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts