Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
The MSDS will often give the name of the "manufacturer".

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sometimes the coolant temp is not regulated by the t'stat. Once your t'stat is full open, it's up to how well your coolant mix absorbs and releases heat, ambient temperature, flow capacity of cooling system, air flow through radiator, and heat generated in engine & trans. Engineers design in a certain "reserve" cooling capacity, based on design ambient temp and engine/tranny load. And efficiency loss for use/aging. Every bug on the front of your condenser, every little crush of condenser/radiator fins, reduces the system's ability to transfer engine heat. Water would be a better heat transfer medium than EG, but we need the anti corrosion properties in coolant. Sexy hoodlines and weight reduction goals weigh against that big, thick honkin radiator.
I think you covered all the potential issues except high altitude thinning of the air. ;-)

·
Registered
214 Posts
My confusion is environmental temperature effect. For example, driving the same car in a nice (80F) day vs. a hot (110F) day on a freeway, given all other conditions unchanged (altitude, speed, windage, load), by how much will the oil temperature change inside an engine after warm up?
Unless the engine cooling capacity is overloaded, the T'stat is designed to keep the engine operating at a preset temp, and thus the oil temperature should remain nearly the same, whether a nice or hot day.

But I should remind you that where I am, we now consider 40degF a "nice" day, and adding a little sunshine, we would call it a beautiful day.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I think you covered all the potential issues except high altitude thinning of the air. ;-)
Well, everyone knows that, so it goes without saying, LOL.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Unless the engine cooling capacity is overloaded, the T'stat is designed to keep the engine operating at a preset temp, and thus the oil temperature should remain nearly the same, whether a nice or hot day.

But I should remind you that where I am, we now consider 40degF a "nice" day, and adding a little sunshine, we would call it a beautiful day.
Sorry to hear that. Current temperature is 64F here, and will be 68F at 3:00 PM.;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The MSDS will often give the name of the "manufacturer".
I heard that both Kirkland Signature and SuperTech oils are from Warren Distribution. They probably are the same oil, with different additive formulation.

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
I heard that both Kirkland Signature and SuperTech oils are from Warren Distribution. They probably are the same oil, with different additive formulation.
Yup. True. That is why I got in on the Costco Price mistake a couple weeks back. Picked up 5 cases of the stuff. 2 of 0w20 and 3 of 5w20. :D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Why would you figure different additives?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Why would you figure different additives?
No facts, just speculation.

I heard that many oil distributors distinguish their brand names from others by specifying the quantities of additives with the oil manufacturers, even the oil is basically the same. Similar to fuel.

I could be wrong. No first hand evidence though.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
engine temps can jump to 150+F with heat soak, after a good highway or hauling drive on a 100F day.

the cooling system is not doing a whole lot with the key off.

This is where poor quality oil and coking will occur, and if the oil is a low viscosity with those kind of temps, lubrication and performance will be degraded.

·
Registered
965 Posts
engine temps can jump to 150+F with heat soak, after a good highway or hauling drive on a 100F day.
Jump??????

What engine doesn't have a temp well above 150F after pretty much any drive on a moderate temp day?

·
Registered
965 Posts
No facts, just speculation.

I heard that many oil distributors distinguish their brand names from others by specifying the quantities of additives with the oil manufacturers, even the oil is basically the same. Similar to fuel.

I could be wrong. No first hand evidence though.
I expect each name brand has its own formulation so the brand can advertise that it has a unique formula that makes it better. But 've not seen any oil advertising by WM or Costco, let alone claims to be superior. Not a Costco member, though, as they have no location near me. Bottom line, I see no reason for WM or Costco to want to make their product unique just for the sake of uniqueness.

As opposed to brands that trademark a name for a generic product or ingredient, and then advertise their product as "the only one with Fufu juice", which is technically true because of the trademarking of tomato juice as "Fufu juice". But every competitive product has tomato juice as well.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
I think you meant "can jump by 150F with heat soak".

I can't speak to the amount of temperature rise, but it's significant after shutdown when coolant, oil, and air stop circulating.

I do what heavy trucks do to minimize heat soak after a hard run in hot weather - let the car slow itself without braking, drive slowly to the parking spot, idle the engine for a minute before shutdown, and raise the hood if there's no breeze.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I think you meant "can jump by 150F with heat soak".

I can't speak to the amount of temperature rise, but it's significant after shutdown when coolant, oil, and air stop circulating.

I do what heavy trucks do to minimize heat soak after a hard run in hot weather - let the car slow itself without braking, drive slowly to the parking spot, idle the engine for a minute before shutdown, and raise the hood if there's no breeze.
good advice on the cool down method... likely better to leave it running on short stops, vs stop and starts.
thankfully most of the modern synthetic oils can handle the heat, which is incentive enough to leave the traditional dino oil out of your motor.
project farm on youtube does some very good and convincing test comparisons on oils.

have seen some dyno tests, where the block temps can jump to 200F after the motor is off.
an issue when you want to squeeze peak power out on the dyno.

had a GM turbo car from the 80's, that would run the cooling fans for many minutes after the key was off.
not sure why most of these modern cars don't do it, turbo or not... better for the oil and the engine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm at 250,000 miles on my 2000 Odyessy and I'm thinking sooner than later, I'll just stop changing my oil and just top it up due to evaporation and bypassing the seals and rings.
Well these engines are so well built,I don't think that will ever happen.
I never have to add any oil In between oil changes.
Also, never used synthetic oil in my engine and thinking due to the high mileage I have, I don't need that extra expense.
It's your call, but I think using synthetic oil in an old engine that has been well cared for is a waste of money.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'm at 250,000 miles on my 2000 Odyessy and I'm thinking sooner than later, I'll just stop changing my oil and just top it up due to evaporation and bypassing the seals and rings.
Well these engines are so well built,I don't think that will ever happen.
I never have to add any oil In between oil changes.
Also, never used synthetic oil in my engine and thinking due to the high mileage I have, I don't need that extra expense.
It's your call, but I think using synthetic oil in an old engine that has been well cared for is a waste of money.
@4vforever: Wow, that's something! My 02 is only at 146K now, and I am wondering how I can get where you are.

How do you take care of it? Any transmission issues? Do you do any oil / fuel treatment?

·
Registered
203 Posts
@4vforever: Wow, that's something! My 02 is only at 146K now, and I am wondering how I can get where you are. How do you take care of it? Any transmission issues? Do you do any oil / fuel treatment?
I call the van bullet proof, we paid and arm and a leg new for it and also neglected the transmission for the first 100,00 miles. Never knew we had to change the transmission oil at every 30,000 miles like I do now. First transmission was on warranty. The second rebuilt was due to my son gum booting it to the local ski hills with friends. Honda paid half for that rebuild.
As for the engine, no major work, one timing belt so far and 1 battery in 2010 and one battery in 2021.
Put a set of brushes in the alternator in 2019.
All the regular wear parts were done when needed.
If we need another transmission, I'd throw it in as everything works like the day we drove it home new.
Even the front bucket seats are still so firm and comfortable.
We're scared to think what kind of brand new disposable vehicle we are going to get next.
Oh, and I do all my own Maintenace on it.
Took it to my friend for the timing belt, he is a retired Honda mechanic.

·
Registered
965 Posts
We're all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts. Walmart's Supertech oils meet all industry and manufacturer's standards, and the costs are as follows for 5 US quarts, in USD:
Dino jug 13.47
Full syn jug 14.64
Full syn from 12 qt bag in box 12.45

So, what's the waste of money?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
We're all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts. Walmart's Supertech oils meet all industry and manufacturer's standards, and the costs are as follows for 5 US quarts, in USD:
Dino jug 13.47
Full syn jug 14.64
Full syn from 12 qt bag in box 12.45

So, what's the waste of money?
Talking about the minuscule price difference between dino and syn in Walmart, I just did an oil change there a month ago. The dino price is < $20 (pit crew), while the full synthetic is more than double, over $40. Not sure how they determined the prices.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts