Honda Odyssey Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Actually, SAE specs viscosity ("weight"). API and ILSAC specify the other qualities that make an oil "SP" and/or "GF-6". Those are not regulations, they are standards/specifications. Which means old, obsolete specs like SA or SE can still be sold. Watch out for unknown brands on C-store shelves.
Thanks for clarifying. What's a C-store? Cosco?
You mean unknown brands like SuperTech?

·
Registered
207 Posts
3,000 miles OCI, you really take good care of your car! Do you use full synthetic, and haul a lot?
Never haul anything with a hitch except my bicycle.
My mechanic always recommended 3K miles/3 month intervals.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. What's a C-store? Cosco?
You mean unknown brands like SuperTech?
C-store = convenience store. Common short form for that type of shopping experience. Think Homer and Kwik-E-Mart.

We are not talking the same language. First, you know Super Tech, and most people who buy oil retail would recognize it. I use it. Second, it has WalMart's name on it, a highly recognized name worldwide.

I am referring to brands that "no one" ever heard of, or which often contain a word like "Wolf". "Penn" or some other allusion to a familiar brand name. Often re-refined, suitable only for engines being driven to the recycling yard, but may actually be rated SD. Often purchased by people who need to add oil more often than gas.

·
Registered
207 Posts
C-store = convenience store. Common short form for that type of shopping experience. Think Homer and Kwik-E-Mart.

We are not talking the same language. First, you know Super Tech, and most people who buy oil retail would recognize it. I use it. Second, it has WalMart's name on it, a highly recognized name worldwide.

I am referring to brands that "no one" ever heard of, or which often contain a word like "Wolf". "Penn" or some other allusion to a familiar brand name. Often re-refined, suitable only for engines being driven to the recycling yard, but may actually be rated SD. Often purchased by people who need to add oil more often than gas.
To be honest, Ted, I never heard of SuperTech until recently when I went to Walmart to buy Mobil1 and Valvoline ATF synthetics. And when I was younger and used to change my own oil, I was told then Pennsyvania Crude was the best, so I always used Wolf's Head or Pennzoil. I guess we are not talking the same language. lol

But, btw, if Walmart products really have "a highly recognized name worldwide," maybe I will reconsider buying that Onn flat screen TV since my "no-name" Samsung TV died a premature death, and is headed to the recycling yard.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'm old enough to have used Wolf's Head, distributed in the New York area back 40-50 years ago. May still be, and I'd use it if it was synthetic for service SP. Pennzoil is available pretty much anywhere, and I'd use it too.

I'm talking stuff that I'd only use as chair saw bar (not engine) oil. If ya' don't shop Walmart, you won't 'know" the house brands. I've never lived anywhere near a Costco. but I know Kirkland to be a house brand of theirs. And I would consider Kirkland a reliable name, because I know they, as a company, are conscientious about QC on all their own brand products.

Ironically, the only oil QC "disaster" I'm aware of was by Quaker State, back about 20 years ago, when they shipped a batch that killed engines. Fortunately, not first hand knowledge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pretty sure Kirkland Signature Full Synthetic, Walmart Supertech Full Synthetic and Amazon Basics Full Synthetic are all the same oil.
All three come from Warren Distribution and all three test very similar in flow and additive characteristics. If they aren't exactly the same, they are darn close.
All three are great oils!!
Especially for the prices of the Kirkland and Supertech!!
The 0w20 is going to be standard across the board, Honda, Toyota, GM, Bmw are all using 0w20 now and all of them can use any brand 0w20. Costco, Walmart, Amazon all use the same supplier for their oils. I don't shop at Walmart so I would recommend either Costco or Amazon. They are all approved oils as well for the car manufacturers

·
Registered
3 Posts
To be honest, Ted, I never heard of SuperTech until recently when I went to Walmart to buy Mobil1 and Valvoline ATF synthetics. And when I was younger and used to change my own oil, I was told then Pennsyvania Crude was the best, so I always used Wolf's Head or Pennzoil. I guess we are not talking the same language. lol

But, btw, if Walmart products really have "a highly recognized name worldwide," maybe I will reconsider buying that Onn flat screen TV since my "no-name" Samsung TV died a premature death, and is headed to the recycling yard.
I personally am a Castrol fan due to BMW uses that as factory fill and my BMW used it all during its life and worked great for the car until the day I traded it in at 176k miles

61 - 67 of 67 Posts