Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the Odyssey 3 days ago with a full tank of gas and 5 miles on it. I'm now at about 35 miles, 1/4th of a tank is gone (I had heard it can go almost 500 miles on a tank of gas) and the display says my mpg is aroungd 6-7.

What's up with that?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just got the Odyssey 3 days ago with a full tank of gas and 5 miles on it. I'm now at about 35 miles, 1/4th of a tank is gone (I had heard it can go almost 500 miles on a tank of gas) and the display says my mpg is aroungd 6-7.

What's up with that?

HUH :huh:.. MAYBE the engine is from BUgatti veyron?:p

anyway, I haven't experienced that.. I do short trips (like 5-10mins) which normally equals to low MPG-- the lowest I got is 15...

Are you sure 6? not 16?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I bet you're running the engine idle for long periods of time while playing with the new toy. What is the estimated computer drive range? Give it at least one tank with a long highway drive before making a conclusion. A 500 mile drive range only applies to very specific conditions

·
Registered
747 Posts
You can't make a conclusion about mileage based on 1/4 tank needle movement. If you are concerned, fill up, reset trip odometer, and when you refill divide trip odometer by number of gallons put in. Report back after a couple of tanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did you reset the trip meter before you drove it off the lot? The 6.8mpg average could be averaged off the original test driving miles of the car. That's the first thing I did before I drove the car off the lot with my free full tank of gas.

Like DavidGSR suggested you need to fill up and reset it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, I get 15-16 in town with mainly short trips which is the same I got with my 2007 EX. I was hoping for improved mpg with this one. There is a definite difference with the highway mpg but in town is a disappointment so far. Still hopeful it will improve some. Definitely no way to get 500 miles in town. I'm thinking about 340-360.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I actually get over 400miles even in the city. And on the highway, I get at or over 500 miles easily. I love this car in terms of its functionality and gas mileage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I actually get over 400miles even in the city. And on the highway, I get at or over 500 miles easily. I love this car in terms of its functionality and gas mileage.
So, did you start getting that gas mileage right away or did it take a little while? If so, when did you notice an improvement?

Thanks, K

·
Registered
511 Posts
2006 EXL-Mix of City/Hwy, will get about 330-400 miles from a full tank.

35 miles to a 1/4 tank of gas, yikes. Something is wrong.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That seems crazy! Are you driving around with the parking brake on?

I'd reset the trip odometer and then drive around for a little bit normally to see what is says.

My gas mileage was just under the epa estimates right away...we drove the car straight home on the freeway for 2 hours so I don't think this is remotely close to a break-in issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been sitting in the Odyssey ripping music CD's and using Shazam on my iPhone to add name/artists to the music that doesn't get recognized lol

I didn't think that would have affected the MPG! Whoops, thanks guys.

·
Registered
755 Posts
So, did you start getting that gas mileage right away or did it take a little while? If so, when did you notice an improvement?

Thanks, K
I remember the car was hitting 400 easily even in the city but I don't think it was actually hitting 500 on the hwy. We noticed a big improvement after 10k miles. We just hit 15k miles today.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
You must have gotten the 2011 Version of mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts