Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey. When I try to put it in drive it turns off the whole engine in the car stops. Does anyone know why this happens?

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Two things come to mind:
  • Dirty IAC (idle air control) valve
  • Stuck torque converter lockup mechanism
How is the idle quality in P or N? What is the idle speed (when warm)? Does it also stall when shifting to R? Is the check engine light on?

Dave

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
You have 2 threads on this. The other one asks about the starter, stalling is not a starter issue. Get back to us on Dave's questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two things come to mind:
How is the idle quality in P or N? What is the idle speed (when warm)? Does it also stall when shifting to R? Is the check engine light on?

Dave
When its in p and n its fine but when I put it in drive it turns off or any other gear's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two things come to mind:

Dave
And no the engine light isn't on.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm leaning towards torque converter here b/c it's fine in neutral and park

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
What is the idle rpm when in neutral?
You didn't state "how" it stalled - did it shut down immediately (like no spark), sputter to a stop (like a clogged fuel supply) or fairly quickly come to a stop, maybe smoothly, as if it was stopped with a brake?

I had a dirty IAC valve once. The symptom was an unstable, loping, hunting, idle speed. The engine never just "stopped". I replaced it with a "Standard Parts" brand part from the local store. Inside the Standard Parts box was an OEM Denso IAC valve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts